The Student Room Group

Can i retake my French GCSE?

So I know I haven't got my results yet, but I know I definitely haven't passed and was in a bad place and know even though I tried my hardest , I know it wasnt good enough. I did foundation tier reluctantly and plan to continue learning French over the summer as I have made a good French penpal. I know I was better than doing foundation but at the time I believed it was better for me to do.
I would like to redo my gcse but how do I go about this? do I contact my schools examination officer? I know that my school probably wouldn't let me but I could be advised by her couldn't I? if they did let me though I would be extremely grateful but nervous as I believe the language department at my school couldn't wait to get rid of me.
Even if i do pass, it will only be a 4 or if im lucky a 5 but i would love to get a 7-9 in french but obviously doing foundation this wasnt possible.

what do people recoomend ? thanks in advance
Your school will be able to advise you best and tell you if it’s possible to retake with them so definitely talk to the examinations officer. Different schools have different policies so it’s really up to your school - also it differs per subject e.g. my school allows us to retake Maths and English but nothing else.

Is French related to what you hope to do as a career? If so, then of course it would help to have a higher GCSE.

However if you want an unrelated GCSE, I wouldn’t bother. It’s not that important in comparison to other subjects and universities/employers would probably favour higher A-Levels (or whatever you’re studying now). Retaking French will just take time away from those studies.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
French is only available in the Summer so you next chance to take it would be Summer 2019. You can ask you school if you could take it there (you may have to pay) or find somewhere willing to accept you as a private candidate and pay them.

Quick Reply