Getting back into Tennis Watch

hello7395724
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I used to play tennis for just over a year when I was 12. I'm now 18 (just finished A levels) and I really want to get back into it (Wimbledon has kinda inspired me), and I feel like now I have this long summer, now is the time. I was considering looking at summer tennis camps/classes but they all seem to be for e.g. 10-17 years old or 10-18 years old and I'm worried I'll be the only 18 year old there, since the other 18 year olds will be at a much higher standard after playing for so many years. I also considered classes for adults like 'cardio tennis' but again it looks like I'll be an odd 18 year old amongst this group of middle-aged adults talking about their jobs and things

Obviously I'll get into it at uni where everyone is at a similar age to me, but was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how I could get back into it this summer first, without awkwardly being the only 'old' beginner at an odd age.
BusinessExpert
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hello7395724)
I used to play tennis for just over a year when I was 12. I'm now 18 (just finished A levels) and I really want to get back into it (Wimbledon has kinda inspired me), and I feel like now I have this long summer, now is the time. I was considering looking at summer tennis camps/classes but they all seem to be for e.g. 10-17 years old or 10-18 years old and I'm worried I'll be the only 18 year old there, since the other 18 year olds will be at a much higher standard after playing for so many years. I also considered classes for adults like 'cardio tennis' but again it looks like I'll be an odd 18 year old amongst this group of middle-aged adults talking about their jobs and things

Obviously I'll get into it at uni where everyone is at a similar age to me, but was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how I could get back into it this summer first, without awkwardly being the only 'old' beginner at an odd age.
I notice this rubbish every year. Wimbledon "inspires me" to play tennis and then I never see anyone on the courts for another year.

There isn't any point of restarting tennis if you aren't interested in the long term. Tennis is such a horrible sport as well, in my opinion and I can play it with my eyes shut.

Maybe consider squash for a better experience. The courts are often quite cool in the summer so there is no need to worry about being too hot.
jdijx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could get back into tennis simply by playing with some friends or family - it doesn't have to be in a club or anything. Also, tell me if i'm wrong but I think you can have tennis "societies" at uni? so you could also join that
hello7395724
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by BusinessExpert)
I notice this rubbish every year. Wimbledon "inspires me" to play tennis and then I never see anyone on the courts for another year.

There isn't any point of restarting tennis if you aren't interested in the long term. Tennis is such a horrible sport as well, in my opinion and I can play it with my eyes shut.

Maybe consider squash for a better experience. The courts are often quite cool in the summer so there is no need to worry about being too hot.
That's the whole point though, I used to play it when I was younger and loved it, but I had to quit because my parents wanted me to focus on my music extra-curricular and the tennis lessons were clashing with my music lessons. Also rather than loving tennis because of Wimbledon, it was more that Wimbledon reminded me of how much I used to love tennis. May I ask why you think it is such a horrible sport and what do you mean by you being able to play it with your eyes closed? What has your tennis experience been like?

I haven't considered squash since I guess I've always had this idea that squash is a lot harder than tennis in a sense that it requires a much higher level of fitness, but I might as well look into it since tennis is also quite gruelling, thanks.

(Original post by jdijx)
You could get back into tennis simply by playing with some friends or family - it doesn't have to be in a club or anything. Also, tell me if i'm wrong but I think you can have tennis "societies" at uni? so you could also join that
That's true! This weekend I rented out a court with my dad and little brother (my mum is away) and we played for a bit which was fun, but I'm interested in improving technique/stamina and it's hard to do that without a coach/when your brother gets tired and starts to throw a tantrum because he wants to go home haha (plus the only family I have in the UK are my cousins who live 2 hours away and they're always really busy/on holiday so it's hard to meet up with them frequently and I'm sure they'd prefer to do other things )

And yup, like I stated in the post I'm definitely planning on joining tennis societies/clubs at uni so I'm excited for that, but that won't be until October and I'd love to get stuck in as soon as possible!
jdijx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hello7395724)
That's true! This weekend I rented out a court with my dad and little brother (my mum is away) and we played for a bit which was fun, but I'm interested in improving technique/stamina and it's hard to do that without a coach/when your brother gets tired and starts to throw a tantrum because he wants to go home haha (plus the only family I have in the UK are my cousins who live 2 hours away and they're always really busy/on holiday so it's hard to meet up with them frequently and I'm sure they'd prefer to do other things )

And yup, like I stated in the post I'm definitely planning on joining tennis societies/clubs at uni so I'm excited for that, but that won't be until October and I'd love to get stuck in as soon as possible!
I would join a club bc if you don't you'll probably regret it in the long run xD I wouldn't get too caught up about the age thing, I'm sure there will be other people who might not play at a professional standard

Nearby where I live, there are tennis courts which are free to use- you could perhaps make a friend or meet someone - I understand this may be difficult though haha
ahmed896
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
in my opinion you should continue with a good club which also focus on your fitness and stamina just not on your skills
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (225)
67.57%
No (108)
32.43%

Watched Threads