Birmingham City University (BCU) applicants chat thread 2019 Watch

Birmingham City University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by BlueWeasel)
im new to studentroom, just wanted to ask:

anyone else applied to Graphic Communication BA? I had an interview on the 9th and having heard from the tutor it apparently went really well but i wanted to know what kind of waiting time i can expect a reply by so i dont start panicking lmao c: Providing i have enough money for accommodation it'll be my first choice so i'm really nervous to hear back!
Hi BlueWeasel,

Glad to hear your interview went well! It's hard to give a time of when you might hear back as our admissions tutors will be dealing with lots of applications at this time. You will hear back, and hopefully soon, just try not to worry in the meantime (which I know is easier said than done!).
Have you got an idea of which accommodation you'd like if you do join us? You can find more details on our halls of residence on our website here.

Do let us know if you have any more questions and good luck!

Lydia
aamnarazax
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Birmingham City University)
Hello

If you're thinking of applying to BCU for 2019 then this is the thread for you!

Let us know what you're thinking, meet other applicants and ask us any questions you might have - we're here to help.

To start things off, why not let us know the following...

What course would you like to apply for?

What are you most looking forward to about uni?

What are you most nervous about?

Are you coming to an Open Day?

Good luck with those applications!!
Hey, I’ve applied for a social work course, I’ve been invited for an interview/ assessment day on Monday and am very nervous! I have been doing research on the BASW code of ethics, looking at current scenarios in social work and articles! What is best recommended for me to prepare for the assessment day?
Rep:
?
(Original post by aamnarazax)
Hey, I’ve applied for a social work course, I’ve been invited for an interview/ assessment day on Monday and am very nervous! I have been doing research on the BASW code of ethics, looking at current scenarios in social work and articles! What is best recommended for me to prepare for the assessment day?
Hi aamnarazax,

Congratulations on being invited for an interview for Social Work try not to worry too much, we want you to be successful so won't be trying to trip you up or confuse you in any way on the day!

The prep you have done already sounds great, but I have listed a few more pointers below to give you some extra help:

- Think about why you want to be a social worker and why you think this is the right career for you
- Apply the 'five whys' to explain how you would make a real impact
- We will give you a case study related to current issues which you will need to respond to in a certain amount of time
- You will also complete a set of exercises so we can assess your suitability to the role and how you respond to different situations
- This will be done in 3 ways: essay writing, demonstrating clear communication skills and interpretation of topics including a group discussion.

We have prepared some interview tips and guidance to help you you prepare, take a look here: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/education-and-...us/interviews/

Good luck on Monday, and try not to worry too much, prep this weekend as much as you can and I am sure you will be fine on the day!

If you have any more questions then please let us know.

Thank you
Claire
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi I had my social work interview in January Don’t worry you’ll be fine just try to remember the points on what a social worker is and what is expected from them .In the written test you’ll have to answer a question and show your point of view of how the topic is related to social work and what a social worker may do in the situation .In the group discussion just make sure that u speak up but let others have a go is well so Not one person is doing all the talking .The one to one interview consists of 5 questions .For the interview just try to remember why u want to be a social worker and the skills you will require . And remember to talk about the 6CsIf you get stuck just think of how you Can relate ur answer to social work
Good luck hope u do well
aamnarazax
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey, thankyou so much for this! Is the group work related to an article or case study? Should I do some more research in case studies would you recommend?
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey, thankyou so much for this! Is the group work related to an article or case study? Should I do some more research in case studies would you recommend?
My one was based on a statement of how the poor can be affected by mental health . It’s doesn’t really give u much detail . It was just a statement with three questions underneath and you need to write a essay type answer making sure u cover all three questions
dont worry too much I remember being panicked and missed one question out but still got through
. It’s about the quantity so make sure you write about the relevant points and don’t go off topic
Kxjzh
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I had my interview for Mental Health Nursing last Monday (18th Feb), and haven’t heard back as of yet. They said 7-10 working days, so I know it’s within that time frame, but how long do people generally have to wait?

It’s torture! BCU has been my dream ever since I decided on nursing, and I really don’t think I’ve got a place. I just want to know now!
Thanks guys
lb020499
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I’ve received an invitation to the taster day, which is tomorrow, but every time I click “book for the taster day, it just gets me to sign in, and then it just takes me to my application, and there is no option to book anything. Someone pls reply ASAP!!
Rep:
?
(Original post by lb020499)
I’ve received an invitation to the taster day, which is tomorrow, but every time I click “book for the taster day, it just gets me to sign in, and then it just takes me to my application, and there is no option to book anything. Someone pls reply ASAP!!
Hi Ib020499,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble booking on! I suggest calling our admission teams who should be able to help you book on - you can call them on 0121 331 6295 until 5pm today.

Hope you get it sorted!

Thanks,
Lydia
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by lb020499)
Call the uni on the number they provide in the emails .they should sort it out for u then
Ps2001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Is the interior architecture and design foundation course still running? Becuase I’m hearing rumours that not a lot of students have applied to it that’s why they haven’t given out offers? I really want to go Birmingham city so I’m confused on what to do if this is true? Would they offer me to do interior architecture and design with no foundation year or..?
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Kxjzh)
I had my interview for Mental Health Nursing last Monday (18th Feb), and haven’t heard back as of yet. They said 7-10 working days, so I know it’s within that time frame, but how long do people generally have to wait?

It’s torture! BCU has been my dream ever since I decided on nursing, and I really don’t think I’ve got a place. I just want to know now!
Thanks guys
For social work I was told i would hear back in 5 working days but they got back to me after 7 working days
So don’t worry they probably taken a day or two more to respond but they’ll let u know
Mimi2405
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Same, I went for the interview for mental health nursing and they haven’t got back to me.
(Original post by Kxjzh)

Thanks guys
ywajhee1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
hi! is anybody going to the architecture applicant taster day tomorrow ?
vickyb811
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi,

I have been offered an unconditional offer to study Child nursing this year! I am still torn between university's. I just wanted to know about the parking as i would be going to the south campus i think so i wondered what it is like, if i could always be secured a place when i come to uni and how much it is?

Thank you
Vicky
lb020499
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Recently I went to a taster day at BCU, and I would like to say that I'm left really impressed with the staff and the uni overall. I would really like to study at BCU, but my parents and friends are always telling me that Birmingham is not safe and I could apparently get stabbed at any time. I also have a bit of a shy personallity, but I'm trying to overcome that. Do you think Birmingham would be safe for people like me?
BlueWeasel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
My parents are worried about the same, and I accepted an unconditional offer (props to admissions for putting up with my crap helping me sort out my situation xD) the way I see it, with the amount of people living in Birmingham, it could happen to ANYONE. And its unlikely to be all of us at the same time :P as long as you know how to stay safe in cities im sure it’ll be ok! As for being shy, I am too, but i have faith that i’ll make friends when i get there!
lb020499
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
fairs. What r u studying, and which accomodation r u goin to choose? Yeah, in reality it is dangerous everywhere.

My parents are worried about the same, and I accepted an unconditional offer (props to admissions for putting up with my crap helping me sort out my situation xD) the way I see it, with the amount of people living in Birmingham, it could happen to ANYONE. And its unlikely to be all of us at the same time :P as long as you know how to stay safe in cities im sure it’ll be ok! As for being shy, I am too, but i have faith that i’ll make friends when i get there!
BlueWeasel
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I’ll be studying graphics communication! I really wanna go to lakeside so hopefully i’ll get that accomodation ^u^ do you think you’ll choose bcu or another uni based on what you’ve seen?
lb020499
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I will hopefully be studying Digital Media and Computing. Probably BCU, as long as i meet all the conditions. As for accommodation, if i'm to pick BCU, i would choose the one closer to the allocated campus.
I’ll be studying graphics communication! I really wanna go to lakeside so hopefully i’ll get that accomodation ^u^ do you think you’ll choose bcu or another uni based on what you’ve seen?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 24 Nov '19

Are you registered to vote?

18-20 years old (yes) (138)
54.33%
18-20 years old (no) (31)
12.2%
20-25 years old (yes) (39)
15.35%