The Student Room Group

I want to keep my firm but to be released from my Insurance but insurance won't

I really want to go to my firm and in the event I don't get the grades I want to go to clearing and maybe re-apply next year.

However, my Insurance is not willing to release me unless I also ask to be released from my firm which is not what I want.

Is this how it works for UCAS? in order to withdraw your insurance you have to withdraw from your firm as well or is the uni bending the rules?
Yep.
Original post by random_matt
Yep.

That's actually ****ing retarded.

is there any way around it?
Reply 3
If you don't get the grades for your firm, I believe you can call your insurance on results day and ask to be released into clearing.
Original post by Beth_H
If you don't get the grades for your firm, I believe you can call your insurance on results day and ask to be released into clearing.

But isn't there the risk my insurance will take an eternity to release me and all the good clearing courses will go?
Original post by SilverWater
But isn't there the risk my insurance will take an eternity to release me and all the good clearing courses will go?

Yep.
What makes you think you won't get the grades? What would you do in clearing, choose a lower grade requirements uni?
Original post by random_matt
What makes you think you won't get the grades? What would you do in clearing, choose a lower grade requirements uni?

I think there's a chance I will miss my firm (worst case scenario a grade or two) but I know I will greatly exceed my insurance.

The plan was to try my luck in clearing for better uni's and maybe slide into a better uni than of my insurance and then I would make a decision if I am willing to resit a year of A-levels to try to get into my firm or just go another uni.

I literally just spoke to my insurance uni and filled out a clearing form with them and they made me a conditional offer 40 UCAS points less than my original offer. - Like WTF?
Reply 8

There's definitely a chance of that happening, although everyone I know who went down this route was released pretty quickly (within about half an hour). The earlier you can go to collect your results, the better, as clearing doesn't officially open until later in the day.
Original post by Beth_H
There's definitely a chance of that happening, although everyone I know who went down this route was released pretty quickly (within about half an hour). The earlier you can go to collect your results, the better, as clearing doesn't officially open until later in the day.

Ah ok, that puts me at ease a little bit. I would rep you again if I could lol.

In general are uni's willing to slide a lot on their initial entry requirements in clearing? (say top 40 unis)
They release you on the day you ask normally.
Reply 11
Ah ok, that puts me at ease a little bit. I would rep you again if I could lol.

In general are uni's willing to slide a lot on their initial entry requirements in clearing? (say top 40 unis)

It depends a lot on the uni and the course, really.

Quick Reply

Latest