Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have done so much for my school. It's crazy. I overworked myself this year. I started Charity Events at my school, I became Student Ambassador, Lead Learner, Student Librarian, I've helped out with events, tours, interviews... And no one ever appreciated me for it.

Meanwhile, a girl who smokes, drinks, doesn't give a crap about the school, doesn't work hard, etc. ended up getting the role! I feel so ashamed. I already have a low self-esteem and I'm so disappointed. I've worked for this for years and I felt like I could really change the school. People keep telling me "don't compare yourself to others!!! ", but it's really difficult when I work so hard and get nothing from it whilst others always seem to be thriving.

I truly hate myself and I don't know what to do. It feels like this is the last straw and I am at such a low point right now. I've had enough of being used and played with and I am NOT going to be Senior Prefect. I'm not going to do anything for my "Ofsted Inadequate" school anymore. The new Head Girl matches the Ofsted report.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LearnFrenchDoge)
    I have done so much for my school. It's crazy. I overworked myself this year.I started Charity Events at my school, I became Student Ambassador, Lead Learner, Student Librarian, I've helped out with events, tours, interviews... And no one ever appreciated me for it.Meanwhile, a girl who smokes, drinks, doesn't give a crap about the school, doesn't work hard, etc. ended up getting the role! I feel so ashamed. I already have a low self-esteem and I'm so disappointed. I've worked for this for years and I felt like I could really change the school.People keep telling me
    Listen here it is a blessing in disguise.

Take all that energy you put towards head girl and plough it into your studies to get yourself into the best uni possible. that stays with you for life.

You will leave school in 2 years with a few memories but most of all your grades. Make sire they are great ones. Could be the best thing that happened to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    ^ This

Honestly head girl doesn't mean that much once you leave school. You'll have much more time to focus on your schoolwork and exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)

Take all that energy you put towards head girl and plough it into your studies to get yourself into the best uni possible. that stays with you for life.

You will leave school in 2 years with a few memories but most of all your grades. Make sire they are great ones. Could be the best thing that happened to you.
    Exactly what my grandmother said (and she's a very smart woman - a former teacher herself). Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what my grandmother said (and she's a very smart woman - a former teacher herself). Thank you.
    Well then, if you follow that advice I'm sure you'll be be able to easily dismiss this as unimportant soon.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn’t focus on that. There is probably a reason they gave the position to her, you don’t know what she’s going through. Maybe she’s having a really hard time and they want to make her feel better or they want to give her a chance to change turn her life around. Don’t stop trying, your time will come. Never give up xxx
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    maybe she is more relatable and likeable? you seem very entitled. and it sounds like something you will be still moaning about in 10 yrs...or comparing yourself to her and trying to get one up over her. there's a real problem here.

ReputationRep:
    I have done so much for my school. It's crazy. I overworked myself this year. I started Charity Events at my school, I became Student Ambassador, Lead Learner, Student Librarian, I've helped out with events, tours, interviews... And no one ever appreciated me for it.

Meanwhile, a girl who smokes, drinks, doesn't give a crap about the school, doesn't work hard, etc. ended up getting the role! I feel so ashamed. I already have a low self-esteem and I'm so disappointed. I've worked for this for years and I felt like I could really change the school. People keep telling me "don't compare yourself to others!!! ", but it's really difficult when I work so hard and get nothing from it whilst others always seem to be thriving.

I truly hate myself and I don't know what to do. It feels like this is the last straw and I am at such a low point right now. I've had enough of being used and played with and I am NOT going to be Senior Prefect. I'm not going to do anything for my "Ofsted Inadequate" school anymore. The new Head Girl matches the Ofsted report.
    Just move on, lovely. I’ve never been a fan of Head Girl/Boy or Prefects. Don’t believe in them. Save your energy for your future.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How's it decided at your school?

ReputationRep:
    It's cool. I went for it as well, and I didn't get it. There's no point crying about something you cannot control, just focus on yourself and forget whta they think

ReputationRep:
    Focus on ur gcses !!!!!! Trust me they are the only thing that's important do not worry urself over senior student positions or whatever if I had my time again I wouldn'tve done anything like that because at my school they used us to get free help with events and we hardly got any credit, "senior student" positions are often used by a lot of people to make up for a lack of academic ability which is the true source of any credit that's worth having at school! Don't worry about it hun just focus on gcses now - you need all the time you can get to study xx

ReputationRep:
    I suppose there are different names used for such things over in the UK such as in Harry Potter at Hogwarts like Head Boy and Head Girl as it is here in Canada. We have the same system though although we call it Class President, Vice- President, Treasurer, and Secretary. I was voted Class Secretary my Sophomore, Junior, and Senior years of school which are 10th, 11th, and 12th year here. It is quite a bit of work as stated and I was only the Secretary. There are Class meeting with the Class Advisor all the time. I agree, shrug this off and use the time wisely for your studies.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately that's life, I'm really sorry that you have low self esteem and if you ever want to talk, pls message me,but sometimes, you can you have to pick yourself up and carry on.

P. S. I support mental health, but everything in this message I mean and will stand by.

I felt like I could really change the school.
    It sounds like you already have(!):

I started Charity Events at my school, I became Student Ambassador, Lead Learner, Student Librarian, I've helped out with events, tours, interviews...
    In seriousness, your school is lucky to have you and they won't know what they've got until it's gone. That's not much consolation at this point but take solace in knowing that giving your time into this worthy, fantastic activities, you are gradually changing something. There may well be parents who decide to send their child to your school after one of your hard days as an ambassador or a fellow student who was able to find the right book and improve their grade thanks to you helping in the library that day. You won't change the place on a grand scale or have a statue out front - I think you realise that - but just know your efforts aren't in vain...

but it's really difficult when I work so hard and get nothing from it whilst others always seem to be thriving
    ...and it's hard to accept what I've said above when you don't get credit for it. It sucks at any time in your life - but don't say you haven't got anything from it! You have a wealth of experience to draw from with all this volunteering. If nothing else, this will look amazing on a university application or part-time job application or anything. But this stuff doesn't go entirely unnoticed - even if you're not receiving recongition right now, I bet you someone somewhere knows just how hard you're working.

I truly hate myself and I don't know what to do. It feels like this is the last straw and I am at such a low point right now.
    Don't be sad. Just look ahead! Remember, you're at school to focus on our education not to change the place or win popularity contests. Enjoy it whilst you're there and honestly? Sounds like you dodge a bullet anyway! Most importantly: don't overwork yourself, it's not good in the long run and will just impact on your health.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to one of my close friends back in the day, she was one of the best students in the school but at the end of the day it's just a popularity contest and people usually pick the people who have a lot of friends and very little brains. You'll find being head girl is very unimportant in the long run

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.