Cutting costs when dining out Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My friends have chosen to go out to an expensive restaurant and I am dreading the bill. I know they will all order full meals with starters, mains, desserts what ever. This is because their parents literally feed them money and happily hand over £50 each time. I have to work hard for my money and work a full time job alongside uni costs. I NEVER eat out.

Would it be weird if I just ordered a starter and not a main course meal? It would be cheaper and the starter menu looks better than the cheapest main menu item. Also do you think asking for tap water would be unacceptable, it's just because the cheapest drink they do is coke for like £2.80 which seems ridiculous.

Is this socially acceptable or will people judge me?
Thanks
Matrix123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
x
Personally, I feel like most poeple would judge but I think that I'd admire your choices and think it's a smart reasonable move, especially if you prefer the starter options and aren't bothered by drinking water. :yy:
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My friends have chosen to go out to an expensive restaurant and I am dreading the bill. I know they will all order full meals with starters, mains, desserts what ever. This is because their parents literally feed them money and happily hand over £50 each time. I have to work hard for my money and work a full time job alongside uni costs. I NEVER eat out.

Would it be weird if I just ordered a starter and not a main course meal? It would be cheaper and the starter menu looks better than the cheapest main menu item. Also do you think asking for tap water would be unacceptable, it's just because the cheapest drink they do is coke for like £2.80 which seems ridiculous.

Thanks
You could choose the cheapest main, and drink water instead. If they ask you why you aren't eating much, you could always say that you're not feeling too well or not have am appetite at all. Your friends may or may not judge depending on what type of person they are, but you shouldn't be worried at all (because you work hard for your own money).

If you know the name of the restaurant you could always have a look at their menu online to see the prices.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Thanks
To be honest people will probably judge you but in the end they aren't paying for what you eat so it shouldn't bother you.

If I was you I personally would decline going to the meal and say it's too expensive for you, however I don't think you want to do this, so your plan sounds pretty good imo.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
£2.80 for a coke isn't unreasonable in most places these days but if you're not comfortable paying that, have tape water by all means. You could have just a starter but this might not fill you up so maybe have something before you go as well?
Sexybadman
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just say your on a diet and order a chicken salad or something.
Nothing wrong with getting tap water. Its free and they give ice. Ballin for someone like me who lives on water anyway.
Or you could just be honest and say its out of your budget. If they judge you then you’ll know they are sh*tty friends.

But also i like the idea the person above gave saying to just eat before you go so you don’t go hungry.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If your friends will judge you for not spending much in a restaurant then you really need some new friends.
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Grow a spine and tell them you cannot afford a £50 bill for a meal.

If they judge you or make you feel uncomfortable, don't go. Then find some new genuine friends worthy of your company.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Grow a spine and tell them you cannot afford a £50 bill for a meal.

If they judge you or make you feel uncomfortable, don't go. Then find some new genuine friends worthy of your company.
It really is this simple.
applesforme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
why don't you spend time with friends you actually like? instead of coming on here and ****ging off and slating people and putting yourself on a pedastal. lucky them they have parents who want them to have a good time while they are young and also probably worry about unforeseen things that can happen and stash a few extra notes in their wallet, lucky them they can spend their last few long summers, before heading into job market, reading for the next academic year and seeing family and friends. I thought university was about being brave and striking out on your own, whether in essays or in your social life but some people still sacrifice their own ideas/feelings for fitting in with the group and complain about life as they still don't have the guts to say no. I also thought friends are people you admire, think well of, enjoy being around, talk well of, sympathise with, understand, are happy for - I didn't see any sign of that in this post so it's a wonder they even let you tag along. ps.once you do something you've never done before, you can't say you never do it anymore.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

Are cats selfish

Yes (72)
58.06%
No (52)
41.94%

Watched Threads