Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    could anyone let me know any of their tips on how to revise or take notes.thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jakubmamot)
    could anyone let me know any of their tips on how to revise or take notes.thanks
    Mind maps, flash cards, practice papers, making quizzes, testing yourself, rewriting notes etc.

ReputationRep:
    Take good class notes and don’t worry about the messiness too much. Then go home and rewrite them into revision notes. Use a textbook, revision guides or websites to make sure you have all the best information.
    Then prepare mindmaps, flashcards and Quizlet sets. This is revision in itself and can be used for revision later when you actuslly use the resources.
    To revise, read it over, be tested, test yourself, do practise questions (!!) and past papers, read mark schemes carefully and correct your work (or redo long-answer questions), read examiners reports, teach other people or pretend like you are, test yourself by writing things on whiteboards and making sure you have everything, etc.

Practise questions are really the key to success though!

ReputationRep:
    Rather than thinking in terms of "I need to do X amount of hours of revision", put aside each day of your revision timetable to learn a specific topic e.g. "On Tuesday I shall learn about glycolysis, the krebs cycle and maybe oxidative phosphorylation".

Focus on understanding a topic/area, rather than aiming for a specific amount of hours. If it takes you 2 hours to learn it so be it, if it takes 5 hours so be it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Mind maps, flash cards, practice papers, making quizzes, testing yourself, rewriting notes etc.
    Yes, those are great suggestions! I would add that when you rewrite notes you do it on your own as much as possible. Like, if the note is on glycolysis - write everything you can remember without reading the original note. And then read it just to make sure you got everything right. I like this technique for rewriting notes - https://theeffortfuleducator.com/201...sess-learning/

Also, with "testing yourself", there are good websites that help, like quizlet, seneca learning and tassomai. You can try them and see if you like.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.