The Student Room Group

MSc Speech and Language Therapy 2019 Entry

Hi everyone! I figured I would start a SLT thread for 2019 entry so that we can all start to talk about applications and whatnot! I'm applying to UCL, City, Newcastle, Essex, Sheffield, and Reading -- hoping that I get into at least one! I'm from the US so I'll be applying as an international student. I know that most of the programs don't have Application Open deadlines but only Close deadlines, so I'm wondering when is best to apply? Hoping that I'm not already behind because I guess applications are already technically open for some schools...?!

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
Hope you don't mind me replying. I'm already on the course - at UCL, but thought I could answer some of your questions.

I doubt any are open yet, they are still dealing with 2018 intake. Most will open in September for applications. End of September or October is a good time to apply if you already have enough experience by then, as it's better to get your application in early while they still have all the spaces available. But it would be wise to make a start on your personal statement now, as it might need a lot of checking and editing.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions if you have any.
Reply 2
Original post by rainbowworld
Hi,
Hope you don't mind me replying. I'm already on the course - at UCL, but thought I could answer some of your questions.

I doubt any are open yet, they are still dealing with 2018 intake. Most will open in September for applications. End of September or October is a good time to apply if you already have enough experience by then, as it's better to get your application in early while they still have all the spaces available. But it would be wise to make a start on your personal statement now, as it might need a lot of checking and editing.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions if you have any.

Hey Rainbow,

Thank you so much for replying! How are you liking the UCL course? I know that on UCL's website it says that they're looking for a minimum of 25 days of practical experience, but I'm wondering if you have a sense of what they're REALLY looking for! I have a fair amount of experience but it honestly feels like no amount would be enough.
Original post by runfree13
Hey Rainbow,

Thank you so much for replying! How are you liking the UCL course? I know that on UCL's website it says that they're looking for a minimum of 25 days of practical experience, but I'm wondering if you have a sense of what they're REALLY looking for! I have a fair amount of experience but it honestly feels like no amount would be enough.

Hey! I love it at UCL, it's great. We have a couple of international students in my year, one is from the US.

Ah yeah, you definitely need at least the 25 days or the application is rejected I think, but a lot of things count for that, and it's great there is a form and you can fill in all of your experience on that with no word limit - it's more about what you learnt from it than the amount though. I would say under half the people on our course were SLTAs before but a lot were straight from undergrad and stuff, so they take a mix. I think it's more about your personality and how you will manage the course in terms of getting on with other students, academic ability (UCL is a pretty academic course), and resilience (because it's a hard two years!) - but that's just my opinion!
Reply 4
Do we have to send in any documentation proving that we did our practical experience? Wondering if I should have my volunteer placement mentors sign a form saying I completed X many hours...
Reply 5
Heya! Just wondering if anybody knows what the word limit for the personal statement for UCL will be? Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by Zkno123
Heya! Just wondering if anybody knows what the word limit for the personal statement for UCL will be? Thanks!

UCL says: We advise you to use the 3000 characters provided, alternatively one side of A4 no smaller than point 12 in your chosen font.
Original post by runfree13
Do we have to send in any documentation proving that we did our practical experience? Wondering if I should have my volunteer placement mentors sign a form saying I completed X many hours...

I didn't need anything like that.

Yep, I think you get more on the side of A4 than the 3000 characters so probably best to go with that.
Reply 8
Hi!

Do you know what the word count for City, University of London would be ? It asks for 2 personal statements but does not mention a word count.

Thanks

Yep, I think you get more on the side of A4 than the 3000 characters so probably best to go with that.
Reply 9
Hi!
Is anyone planning on applying for th e January 2019 session at city university?

Regards
Reply 10

Thankyou! I'm a bit confused cos on the general UCL admissions page it says 2 Sides of A4, but on the FAQs of the specific course it says 1 A4/ 3000 characters. Did you just have 1 A4 page when you applied?
Original post by Zkno123
Thankyou! I'm a bit confused cos on the general UCL admissions page it says 2 Sides of A4, but on the FAQs of the specific course it says 1 A4/ 3000 characters. Did you just have 1 A4 page when you applied?

Hmm yeah I think it was just one page.
Original post by Youro
Hi!
Is anyone planning on applying for th e January 2019 session at city university?

Regards

Hi I think City just do September entry, are you thinking of the Greenwich course?
Reply 13
Hi I think City just do September entry, are you thinking of the Greenwich course?

On their website it says Sessions for full time masters are september 2018, January 2019, ans September 2019.
Original post by Youro
On their website it says Sessions for full time masters are september 2018, January 2019, ans September 2019.

Oh that's new then! Good luck with your application
Reply 15
thank you! they do not have much clear info about it on the website but I have been emailing them!

thanks for all your help.

One last question, when uploading 2 essays, how different do they have to be?
Original post by Youro
thank you! they do not have much clear info about it on the website but I have been emailing them!

thanks for all your help.

One last question, when uploading 2 essays, how different do they have to be?

Two essays? Do you have to send them in addition to the personal statement? I didn't have to do that.
Reply 17
Yep, they've asked for 2 personal essays
Hi,

I want to apply for SLT masters starting in 2019. Did the funding work out for everybody who is starting this year? Did you get the tuition and maintenance loans you needed? It seems to have been so complicated!!
Reply 19
Funding is purely on a student loan basis this year and I expect that'll continue next year. Tuition fees are covered by the loan and then there's a maximum maintenance loan of about £12,700 a year but that depends on your living costs etc.

Quick Reply