The Student Room Group

What will you miss most about school?

Poll

Will you miss school?

A-level results day is fast approaching :afraid:
That means leaving school behind and going on a new path in life, whether that is university, apprenticeship or going straight into work.
What will you miss the most about your time at school?
Although I left school more than a year ago I still miss the community feel of school, uni can feel a bit lonely and individualistic sometimes.
How about you?:h:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
That means leaving school behind and going on a new path in life, whether that is university, apprenticeship or going straight into work.
Although I left school more than a year ago I still miss the community feel of school, uni can feel a bit lonely and individualistic sometimes.

I left school a year ago too and I miss my biology class. We were small, only about 10 people so we were really close. Every other week someone would bake treats (initiated by me ofc), like a cake or biscuits and we would have fun while revising. My teachers were awesome too, which made it much better.
I'm definitely going to miss some of my teachers (so cliche I know :colondollar:) my psychology teacher really brought me out of my shell in second year and my chemistry teachers both years were great and made it so relaxing! I guess the sense of community too as we were a pretty small year (considering we're a dedicated sixth form college) as most people dropped out early so we all kinda knew each other or were at least aware the others existed. I'm going to miss the city my college is in too but I'm also extremely excited to leave it.

I know I'm going to miss sixth form at times but I just can't wait to go to uni and be out there on my own!
Reply 3
Nothing really...
I just want to get uni over with now, and then I am free
Reply 4
Knowing with some certainty what's ahead and what to expect. Okay, there will be a bit of that at university. But I'll miss quite a few of my friends.
Original post by CoolCavy

Everyone was sound at my school and everyone got on. Miss the food and banter.
All of my classes had between 10 and 15 people, so it was very tight knit, and I loved it. My teachers were awesome too, some of which I had for 7 years, so they felt more like friends than teachers, especially towards the end of year 13, when we started learning about the behind-the-scenes and lives of my teachers outside of school in greater detail.
Well left school after my GCSE's (self study A levels due to unusual circumstances, lucky me).

I'm glad I left school!

- I was bullied by so many people all these years but the staff did NOTHING in every single school I went to.

- Whenever I stood up to the bullies I got detention (and lots of threats of being expelled)

- My parents wanted to back me up but they eventually got sick of it (and they were xtra patient with this) to the point they thought I was the problem which ruined my relation with them for a long time. I ended getting blamed for things my siblings did because I was thought to be behaving badly.

- I didn't even enjoy any of my subjects at school yet I enjoy math now (and to a lesser extent physics) now (math is taught so poorly at school it shouldn't even be caked math anymore). I often had alternate methods which I preferred yet was not accepted by teachers (now I know they were perfectly acceptable and many were even more efficient). Besides, I was never shown how formulae were derived yet had to memorize them to even pass a math test

- School held me back in math because they wanted me to focus on subjects I clearly hated (and I failed on those)

- I was constantly criticized about my handwriting and was even held back for handwriting lessons. Turns out I have a disability that prevents me from having a good handwriting!

- I always hated tests because I could never finish them (I get extra time in exams now)

- I hated group projects because I had to work with the very people that bullied me. They essentially did no work and threatened me if I didn't get them a free A.

- My mom always saying her childhood was "worse" (maybe it was idk but there is no proof) when I complained about school, which was very demotivating to me

- Other reasons that I can't think "on top of my head"

I was simply so poorly treated by so many people at school that I cannot even remember a SINGLE good memory there.

I do have good childhood memories but they're definitely not from school!

And then people wonder why I dislike others (and being with people, consequently).

TL;DR I didn't miss school any any shape or form
(edited 5 years ago)
The things I will miss the most are the people and the routine. Going in every day I knew that I had my place and I spoke to my friends/teachers/peers every day. From now on, I know I will never see some of those people again, and I won’t even see my friends often. There are plenty of missed opportunities that I will regret, but I will try to focus on the good memories I made going forwards.
Reply 9
I don't miss physically being in school because it's so draining but I will miss the people and teachers definitely and just the whole routine of sixth form life. I'm going to miss my English the most had very few people in my class and we all had our own banter.
I'll probably miss the bell that indicated it was time to leave that hell-hold.
I left school a while ago, but still miss it.

I miss having a routine with fairly little pressure (although this wasn't appreciated at the time).
I miss it being so easy to see my friends, as we all lived in the same village and saw each other every day and most evenings.
I miss the only thing to worry about being homework.
I miss living at home and being able to spend time with my family everyday - whereas now we all live in different places so it's much harder.
I miss the discussions I'd have with my teachers about my subjects (total nerd..).
I miss all of my extracurricular things, mostly music and drama based, as I loved them a lot.
I miss sixth form and the free periods that I could just chat to my friends in (maybe I shouldn't have though haha).
I miss wearing uniform - and I don't know why! It's funny really.
I miss learning. I know you can learn all the time, but I was always hungry for knowledge, so school was great for me.
I miss walking to school in the sunshine, or even in the rain so long as I had my umbrella. The smell of autumn and the bite of winter.

Most of all though, I miss being happy. I feel as though I left my happiness in school when I left, because everything just got much more complicated after that point. That's not directly school's fault of course, it just happened at that time.

Make the most of your school days. The ironic thing is that I couldn't wait to leave, and now I would give pretty much anything to be able to go back.
My psychology lessons, they were so fun and I loved my classmates. And my teacher.
Reply 13
The routines, classroom environment, the people and how I didn’t have to worry about adulting.
I just finished my GCSEs but my school, doesn't have a Sixth Form so I'm going to a new Sixth Form College (only yr 12 and 13).

I will miss:
- I will miss Thursday after school in year 11. We had maths intervention for people aiming for grade 6-9. Sometimes, only 3 or 4 people would attend and there was a really relaxed atmosphere which I needed for after school to unwind. Our teacher would bring cake or biscuits in normally and it was great. Once, our teacher walked out for a minute and there was a ball of string on the desk and we tied string around the classroom and stringed the door shut. It was funny and it soon became in inside joke between some people in our class :smile:

- I will miss going to Prefect duty every Tuesday break time. I had to stand in the maths block corridor at break to make sure nobody littered or something. I did it with one of the Art teachers and we always had a laugh. Tuesday was the worst day on my timetable but I looked forward to break time because it would cheer me up. I had French the lesson after break and she knew I HATED it. She was really sympathetic about it and we had a joke saying 'How much will it take me to bribe you to get me out of French?'. One lesson in year 11, she actually let me miss French because she was busy and said I could help tidy up her office instead and she wrote me a note for it. That was great and my teacher didn't find out!

- I will miss sitting near my teacher's desk in Physics and having discussions about Maths and Science with her. She taught me for 5 years and there must have been like 1000 jokes in that classroom :smile:

- I miss the group chats with some of my friends in my form group in year 11. I would help them with their Maths and Science revision nearly every day and in their mocks they got like 7s and stuff and they thanked me for it and I liked helping people. We would complain about the Technology teacher on there because we both didn't like her (she hardly every taught - she just rambled on about which movies she's watched and other irrelevant things. Most of what she actually taught wasn't even on the specification!) and we would share English Lit quotes as inside jokes (my bloody grades in my bloody hands). Kinda lame I know but it was funny at the time :tongue:
(edited 4 years ago)
There were only four people in my Chemistry class. It was excellent.
I left school a year ago and I miss just being able to mess around with my classmates all day. Honestly, school was just a laugh for most of the year then got serious around exam time but Uni is serious all the time because everything is assessed and counts towards your final grade. My Physics class last year was such a laugh as well I miss it.
I'll miss the structure and the routine and being able to see my friends every day :frown:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
Honestly don’t think i’ll miss school itself, maybe a few of the people in it but that’s about it. I genuinely didn’t enjoy my time at school, learning was what I enjoyed; the people who restricted my learning? That I didn’t enjoy.
Quite frankly I’m glad to be done and off to an Apprenticeship in the Aerospace Sector; I’m following my dream!
I miss how easy school was compared to being a (semi) functioning adult.

Quick Reply

Latest