Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’ve found a distance learning MSc which is perfect for me as I can work alongside my studies

But do employers view distance learning masters degrees as inferior to taught masters degrees?

Or is a masters degree just as valuable whatever way it is taught?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it makes a difference- it's a degree which is the same level. An MSc is an MSc. The university will make a difference (Russell Group/Ivy League are better than a generic uni), but whether it's distance or taught probably won't make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    Won't make any difference. Neither will the uni name (even whether it's RG or not) to 99+% of employers.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Sadieleigh95)
    I’ve found a distance learning MSc which is perfect for me as I can work alongside my studies

But do employers view distance learning masters degrees as inferior to taught masters degrees?

Or is a masters degree just as valuable whatever way it is taught?
    Hi there,

No, it shouldn't make a difference to employers - distance learning is all about making the MSc accessible to people who have other commitments. Whether the classes are taught in person or online makes no bearing on the perceived quality of your course/assignments.

Rather than seeing it as something inferior, I would see it as something which reflects positively on you - that you are hardworking and committed enough to work considerable hours in a job whilst completing Master's level study.

Fred - UEA PG Rep

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.