The Student Room Group

Really not enjoying placement and have offers to do other things, advice?

Hi Guys, I'm currently doing a placement year in Finance and have been here for a month and have realised it is definitely not for me. I was told I would be conducting financial analysis of a big firm from which we would use the analysis to cut costs across the site to make it more profitable, but its actually turned out that my job is copy and pasting other peoples analysis into different pre-programmed excel sheets (I sit and copy and paste stuff all day). Its also turned out that my weekly hours are not 7-3 (37.5hrs / week) but I have to work weekends and late most days as we have to wait for other people to finish their work and as I am an intern we do not get paid for this extra time (the wage is also 17k so nothing big).

I have always wanted to be a teacher and have offers to work as a TA in both a Primary and a Secondary school from September and could easily switch to it, I chose this job as thought it would be good experience for my degree but its not turned out that way.

What would you say to do, stick it out for the rest of my now 13 month contract (changed after I had accepted the 12 months) or leave and become a teacher for the year?

Thank you and sorry this is so long but its making me pretty miserable
Personally, I would leave. It's not great to leave your current placement, but if you're miserable only one month in of 13 then it's probably for the best

Quick Reply

Latest