The Student Room Group

How do parents manage during holidays when they have nowhere to dump their children?

The reason why schools are so popular is because they give the parents somewhere to dump their children while they are at work. So what happens during the summer holidays? Do they give up work?
Thats not what schools are for...
:lolwut:
Original post by allegory777
The reason why schools are so popular is because they give the parents somewhere to dump their children while they are at work. So what happens during the summer holidays? Do they give up work?

Between this and the other thread you have started about teachers/schools, it seems that you have an issue with the education system.
So, some ‘education’ for you.
The law of the land states that children must receive an education, be that in school or home schooled.
Many parents work - some by choice, some by necessity.
School holidays can be difficult in terms of finding suitablele and affordable childcare.
I could go further, but I’m sure you get the idea.
Schools and education are a necessary part of the fabric of society.
Is there anything else that we can help you with or have you just joined today to give us all the benefit of your presence here?
They spend time with their children - days out, trips to the zoo, visiting family and now that Summer is upon us, the options are endless!

It's called parenting. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Seamus123
Between this and the other thread you have started about teachers/schools, it seems that you have an issue with the education system.
So, some ‘education’ for you.
The law of the land states that children must receive an education, be that in school or home schooled.
Many parents work - some by choice, some by necessity.
School holidays can be difficult in terms of finding suitablele and affordable childcare.
I could go further, but I’m sure you get the idea.
Schools and education are a necessary part of the fabric of society.
Is there anything else that we can help you with or have you just joined today to give us all the benefit of your presence here?

There is no such thing as society, and compulsory schooling is a relatively recent invention.
There is no such thing as society, and compulsory schooling is a relatively recent invention.

I mean...there’s no such thing as a unified society if that’s what you mean. And just bc compulsory education is relatively recent doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea in principle, whatever your gripes are with it in practice

Well, what’s your beef, then? Did you get too much homework?
Reply 8
Original post by Seamus123
Well, what’s your beef, then? Did you get too much homework?

Yes, four hours a day after school. I didn't mind the four hours, I minded the school hours during which time I achieved nothing. I should have not gone, and just done the four hours.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes, four hours a day after school. I didn't mind the four hours, I minded the school hours during which time I achieved nothing. I should have not gone and just done the four hours.

My kids went to the grammars and had 3-4 hours of homework in the evening. School works for some and not for others.

Quick Reply

Latest