The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

What are the tuition fees for a dual Irish/UK citizen living in England at Edinburgh?

Hey guys,

I'm quite interested in applying to study Law or History at Edinburgh next year and wasn't clear as to how tuition fees work. I have dual citizenship for Ireland and the UK and was wondering do I still count as an EU citizen and receive the same fee treatment? I do live in England and I know residency plays a part but even with my Irish citizenship do I still qualify for free tuition?

Thanks for the help!
Original post by hughmungus25
Hey guys,

I'm quite interested in applying to study Law or History at Edinburgh next year and wasn't clear as to how tuition fees work. I have dual citizenship for Ireland and the UK and was wondering do I still count as an EU citizen and receive the same fee treatment? I do live in England and I know residency plays a part but even with my Irish citizenship do I still qualify for free tuition?

Thanks for the help!

Tuition fee status is normally completely relevant on where you are normally resident, so you should be charged £9k as you are normally resident in England
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
You don't need to be a UK national, just a legal full time UK resident. So you'll be fine as long as you've been living in the UK for the 3 years before the first day of the course.
Original post by SimulacraXL
You don't need to be a UK national, just a legal full time UK resident. So you'll be fine as long as you've been living in the UK for the 3 years before the first day of the course.

Has to be living in Scotland or an EU county. Students normally resident in England pay full £9k fees.
(edited 5 years ago)
Think I answered this in detail last week.
It depends on how Edinburgh do the fee status.
They are a bit slack and if you go on your Irish passport you may get it free, which is what you are interested in.
If they were applying the rules properly hen you would pay full fees because you live in the UK.
Sorry yes I forgot Scotland is different and I totally didn’t read the post properly. Sorry about that. Correct it’s 9k if you’re UK resident but outside of Scotland. If you want Scottish tuition you’ve got have been a resident of Scotland/EU for the required time beforehand. So even though OP is an Irish citizen and technically EU as a result, you have to have been living in Ireland in order to qualify as a EU resident I think.

Quick Reply

Latest