The Student Room Group

Are you driving less?

The BBC have published an article where they say that people are travelling 10% fewer miles than 2002 and spending 22 hours less travelling each year than a decade ago.

Apparently, there has been a 20% reduction in commuter trips per week than the 90s and growth in car traffic has also slowed down.

The article calls for more investment in public transport, walking and cycling provisions in cities where young people can live without a car.

How do you feel about this? Are you driving less (or at all)? Does where you live determine whether you should drive or not?
I think it’s a good idea. Not only are cars bad for the environment, but they’re also very expensive for students, so if we can reduce the number, that’s great.

Personally I’m going to take my test as soon as I’m ready (I turn 17 and will start learning in a few months) but I’m not going to buy a car until I’ve finished university, which will be at least the age of 23-24 for medicine. This is purely because I don’t have the money to spend on a car right now AND if I wait a few years, my insurance will drop massively.

I don’t think my plan would change based on where I live (within reason, if I lived in a typical town or city, etc.) but it would definitely be more useful to live somewhere with more public transport and I would probably take that into account when choosing where to live.

Better for students, better for the environment, and probably less crashes as well, so yeah I think it’s a pretty good idea.
Reply 2
Original post by Vic Vinegar
The BBC have published an article where they say that people are travelling 10% fewer miles than 2002 and spending 22 hours less travelling each year than a decade ago.

Apparently, there has been a 20% reduction in commuter trips per week than the 90s and growth in car traffic has also slowed down.

The article calls for more investment in public transport, walking and cycling provisions in cities where young people can live without a car.

How do you feel about this? Are you driving less (or at all)? Does where you live determine whether you should drive or not?

On the flip side, there's more cars on the road than ever before.

I'm absolutely not driving less; my mileage has been steadily increasing over the past 4 years.

Original post by bfm.mcdermott
if I wait a few years, my insurance will drop massively.

Perhaps a little bit, but not as much as it would if you were building up a No Claims Bonus.
Reply 3
I'm certainly driving less than I was a few weeks ago since my motorbike got stolen. :rant:

Still, I have the car club to use when I need it, but since I live in a city with terrible traffic and worse parking it's generally better to use public transport, awful though that can be.
Reply 4
Original post by Dez
I'm certainly driving less than I was a few weeks ago since my motorbike got stolen. :rant:

Still, I have the car club to use when I need it, but since I live in a city with terrible traffic and worse parking it's generally better to use public transport, awful though that can be.

Oh no! Any chance of getting it back?
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Oh no! Any chance of getting it back?

The police recovered it but it's a write-off. Insurance has paid out, but with the increased premium I can't really afford a replacement unfortunately. :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by Dez
The police recovered it but it's a write-off. Insurance has paid out, but with the increased premium I can't really afford a replacement unfortunately. :frown:

Sorry to hear that :frown:
Reply 7
I feel it's the opposite, public transport isn't feasible anymore.

I have a 13 mile commute and costs me around £60 a month in petrol and takes me 25 minutes Door to Door, this through public transport would cost me £88 and takes me 1hr30 door to door, unless public transport sorts it's pricing out to be more affordable then no.

Same with going out with friends, a trip to the cost will cost me £30 in petrol return to take 3 mates but a combined train ticket for a return would cost around £150... it's just ridiculous.
Reply 8
Original post by xDron3
I feel it's the opposite, public transport isn't feasible anymore.

I have a 13 mile commute and costs me around £60 a month in petrol and takes me 25 minutes Door to Door, this through public transport would cost me £88 and takes me 1hr30 door to door, unless public transport sorts it's pricing out to be more affordable then no.

Same with going out with friends, a trip to the cost will cost me £30 in petrol return to take 3 mates but a combined train ticket for a return would cost around £150... it's just ridiculous.

To be fair this isn't public transport, it's just our borked railway system. Buses and coaches are generally a bit less extortionate (though still pricier than I would like tbh).
Personally I'm driving a hell of a lot more than I was in 2002.
Reply 10
Original post by Dez
To be fair this isn't public transport, it's just our borked railway system. Buses and coaches are generally a bit less extortionate (though still pricier than I would like tbh).

Obviously this is just for me, if I worked in my hometown then the bus would be a better idea due to no need to park and dedicated bus lanes to beat the traffic. Coaches are also great but it just depends if you value your time as they're often a lot longer. Just a shame the trains are so overpriced otherwise the public transport system would be one of the best in the world.
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
I think it’s a good idea. Not only are cars bad for the environment, but they’re also very expensive for students, so if we can reduce the number, that’s great.

Personally I’m going to take my test as soon as I’m ready (I turn 17 and will start learning in a few months) but I’m not going to buy a car until I’ve finished university, which will be at least the age of 23-24 for medicine. This is purely because I don’t have the money to spend on a car right now AND if I wait a few years, my insurance will drop massively.

I don’t think my plan would change based on where I live (within reason, if I lived in a typical town or city, etc.) but it would definitely be more useful to live somewhere with more public transport and I would probably take that into account when choosing where to live.

Better for students, better for the environment, and probably less crashes as well, so yeah I think it’s a pretty good idea.

I agree with this! I cycle to uni and around my local area but that's because I live in a very cycle-friendly city with clear and connected cycle lanes. It's usually quicker as well since you tend to avoid traffic.

Original post by Dez

Omg sorry to hear that! That's so annoying.
Original post by xDron3
Obviously this is just for me, if I worked in my hometown then the bus would be a better idea due to no need to park and dedicated bus lanes to beat the traffic. Coaches are also great but it just depends if you value your time as they're often a lot longer. Just a shame the trains are so overpriced otherwise the public transport system would be one of the best in the world.

So true! I usually tend to cycle everywhere (within reason) because local buses and trains are a shambles and ridiculously overpriced. If I'm doing longer journeys I'll either go coach or train, but train would definitely be ideal if it was cheaper!
Petrol skyrocketed = less joyrides.
I live in London, zone 6 and work in zone 1. Even though public transport where I live is fairly good, a car is just so much more convenient. It is possible to live without it, but the benefits of being able to drive are just huge, even in a relatively dense suburban area.

I still get the train to work, but it costs me way more than I pay out for my car each month, and that's with a student discount Oyster card. Public transport is by no means cheap.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Personally I'm driving a hell of a lot more than I was in 2002.

Story checks out.

My village gets one bus and one train every 2 hours, if I don't drive I leave for work at 7 for something 15 minutes away by car (9am start) and don't get back until 8. Sod that for a game of soldiers, I'll take the car

Quick Reply