The Student Room Group

Student Mental Health Services

Hi!

I would like speak to any students who have faced issues re. mental health services at their university, as many universities are choosing to outsource their services elsewhere and cutting funding/counsellors etc.

You can remain completely anon if you want but I would be grateful if anyone can contribute.

Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi,

What are you asking us to tell you and what are you asking this for? Are you a journalist? An EPQ student? If you're asking for sensitive info, you need to be clearer about who you are and why it's needed :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hi,

What are you asking us to tell you and what are you asking this for? Are you a journalist? An EPQ student? If you're asking for sensitive info, you need to be clearer about who you are and why it's needed :yep:

I am a student journalist writing a piece after the revelations of this article and would really like some opinions/experiences of students to include in the piece.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/jul/17/universities-outsource-mental-health-services-despite-soaring-demand

Sorry that I was not clearer!
Reply 3
Are you only seeking university students? I’ve just finished a 2 year course crammed into 8 months and it was a mess.
Reply 4
Original post by Milax1x
Are you only seeking university students? I’ve just finished a 2 year course crammed into 8 months and it was a mess.

For this, probably yes, as the original article was about problems with mental health provisions at university, message me if you would like though? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Lottiexm
I am a student journalist writing a piece after the revelations of this article and would really like some opinions/experiences of students to include in the piece.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/jul/17/universities-outsource-mental-health-services-despite-soaring-demand

Sorry that I was not clearer!

Ah I see!

Well first thing's first: serious LOL at Alan Percy's comments in that article. I personally always feel he's a bit of a hypocrite when he talks to the press like this (having had personal dealings with him and the University of Oxford Counselling Service), tbh :s-smilie:

I've never attended any of the universities mentioned in the article but I have seen a reduction in the support I am getting from my current university (am a PhD student, so this is my third uni!) over the past academic year. I was told that the Mental Health Adviser can only see me twice a term maximum, whereas I used to see her predecessor at least four times a term, if not more, along with regular emails. It's upsetting for me and were I more ill or vulnerable at the moment, I'd take it as a sign of people not caring. But the reality is that the Mental Health Adviser is hugely overstretched at my uni. They need more than one person in that role tbh :s-smilie:
Reply 6
I suffered with (I still do) MH problems at university, I had a lot of positive input though whilst I was at university...What sort of things do you want to know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending