Turn on thread page Beta

Can i use a mass gainer on antidepressants. watch

ReputationRep:
    basically I'm pretty busy and want to eat around 3500 calories a day but can only really make these meals rn as I have an internship:

4 slices of toast with peanut butter and a banana: (550 calories)

lunch: 500G of chicken with a large salad: 1000 calories

Snack: I always eat a banana orange and apple every day. bout 400

porridge before bed (2 servings with whole milk): 550

Thats like 2300-2400 calories a day.

so i'm thinking i could top it off with a massgainer like another 1-1.5k calories.

to get me to 3500-4000.

Thing is I am on antidepressents, and i know there is not alot of variety to this meal plan but its easy as hell and im only doing it for 4 weeks whilst im on my internship.

I'd like to gain 3-4KG this month, currently 67KG and 5"8

Q1: Is this a good idea, i wanna gain almost 1KG per week, will be working out as i normally do. Just dont have time to cook properly anymore and won't have acess to a full kitchen. Living on my own in a flat in another city working from 9-4 get home at 6 every day so wanna make stuff i can just take with me/is quick.

Q2: On most mass gainers it says dont take with medication, but thats just on all supplemnts right. Surely they just say that so they are not liable for reactions. Im on citalopram, surely a little massgainer wont hurt?

Q3: do mass gainers work lol? And which ones are any good?

Thanks!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Q1: 1kg a week is far too much, keep doign that and you'll just end up fat. 2lbs a month is a sensible and realistic goal for a beginner.

Q2 and 3: It'll be fine with your meds. Mass gainers are just extracts of various protein sources (mostly either dairy or soy) and the carbs are typically made up from cheap sources like sugar, maltodextrin and dextrose, plus flavourings. Essentially, a mass gainer is cheap wholesale milkshake powder mixed with protein powder. For this reason, I wouldn't ever bother with them. If you want to get more calories via shakes, make your own using a blender and various ingredients such as whey protein, oats, milk, peanut butter, bananas and various other fruits and berries, extra-virgin olive oil and whatever else you fancy in it. You can have a 1500 calorie shake as one meal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    Q1: 1kg a week is far too much, keep doign that and you'll just end up fat. 2lbs a month is a sensible and realistic goal for a beginner.

Q2 and 3: It'll be fine with your meds. Mass gainers are just extracts of various protein sources (mostly either dairy or soy) and the carbs are typically made up from cheap sources like sugar, maltodextrin and dextrose, plus flavourings. Essentially, a mass gainer is cheap wholesale milkshake powder mixed with protein powder. For this reason, I wouldn't ever bother with them. If you want to get more calories via shakes, make your own using a blender and various ingredients such as whey protein, oats, milk, peanut butter, bananas and various other fruits and berries, extra-virgin olive oil and whatever else you fancy in it. You can have a 1500 calorie shake as one meal.
    Thanks, thats pretty helpful man. Makes sense, alot of things i read people in the reviews just glorified them and experts said they would reccomend them. I guess a non-biased opinion is best, cheers. Il just make my own.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    Thanks, thats pretty helpful man. Makes sense, alot of things i read people in the reviews just glorified them and experts said they would reccomend them. I guess a non-biased opinion is best, cheers. Il just make my own.
    Problem with reviews is, they're all gonna be based on how it tastes. Any so called "experts" promoting specific products have either been paid to do so or are sponsored by them in some way.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.