The Student Room Group

I'm going to graduate at 23, 2 years later than the people I went to school with.

When I graduate I'm going to be 23. I'm worried that during my degree (I haven't started it yet) I might feel like it's dragging and feel low/lose motivation or something. Especially with the awareness in my mind that when I'm in my first year, people I went to school with are in their final year and will be graduating soon.

You know what I mean?
People go to uni at all kinds of ages, it doesn’t really matter.
Honestly, nobody cares about age.
Hey well at least your first worry isn’t student debt.
**** happens.

I graduated 10 years later than intended and those years in between were pretty crap but i got there in the end.

And getting to still **** around while other people are dealing with kids, mortgages and soul destroying jobs has its positives.
(edited 5 years ago)
It sounds discouraging, but I don't think it's as bad as you maybe think it is. For example, medics have 5 years for just their degree, which would bring them to 23, the age you'll be upon graduating. I also have some friends who are going to do three years of military service before going off to uni, meaning that they would be 24 if they take a Bachelors
Original post by Anonymous
When I graduate I'm going to be 23. I'm worried that during my degree (I haven't started it yet) I might feel like it's dragging and feel low/lose motivation or something. Especially with the awareness in my mind that when I'm in my first year, people I went to school with are in their final year and will be graduating soon.

You know what I mean?

#FirstWorldProblems

Where I live people almost inevitable need a Masters and that is more than the 1-year UK ones and they also tend to finish school later and do military/social service. 24-26 is the usual age to start working.

Get over yourself.
Completely understand your worries, but honestly you'll be one of many students of that age. My course has loads of students that are now graduating aged 21-26 :smile:
Some people decide to start really late because they go into the military or decide to work first and they graduate later than you. Don't worry about it.

You know what I mean?

You are worrying over nothing and its a complete waste of energy. When you leave school you wont see many of them ever again. Its now a big wide world and you have a completely clean slate with people at uni. They wont care a jot about you being 2 years older unless you make an issue of it and cant get rid of the baggage. Your choice whether you want to enjoy uni or not. It is down to you.

You know what I mean?

It's no big deal honestly, you've got your degree in the end and that's all that matters. I'm sure you've come across people of various ages during your course.
ill grad when im 22, dw it's honestly fine, no one cares, youve gotta be proud of how much youve achieved !!
i took a gap year to work and prepare for uni then took a 4 year course i graduate next week age 23. didnt effect any outcome of my degree or how i feel about it. i saw it as advantage cos i went in alot more developed socially and experienced wise and more intelligent cos i spent an extra year at college as part of an apprenticeship so coasted similar modules in first year. further alot of ppl i met were not straight out of school first year flat mates out of 18 about half were some took 2 year gap

disadvantages if i wanted to go travelling for an extended period for a few reasons imo im too old for that as ill be almost 25 by time get back
(edited 5 years ago)
Honestly, nobody cares about age.

what was the need to go anon for that
Seriously it is not an issue. I graduated at that age and found a job after. No issues during uni and no one cared. There was a guy on my course who was 40ish and everyone loved him.
You shouldn't live your life based on other's timeline
I got my first degree at 24 and I was hardly the oldest grad. Don't worry about it. If anything, let your age motivate you to work harder and finish sooner. If everyone is younger you'll be less distracted by social activities, so it can be sort of an advantage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending