takasar
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have been fortunate enough to receive offers from all 3 (MiM at LBS and UCL and Wealth & Investment Management at Imperial) and need to quickly decide where is best. I want to go into investment banking. I hope to start an internship in Beijing China next week, having already received an offer but the timing might be an issue since the earliest programme begins in late August. I desperately want to do this internship because my latest work experience was in summer 2017 and this might be deemed too distant for some banks/firms.

Both UCL and Imperial are often talked about as 'targets' and almost everybody talks about LBS's prestige, even at the MSc level, so it is very hard for me to make any choice based simply on reputation. If there is a distinct difference, then please do let me know. The main pro of each option is as follows:

Imperial: Course is more directly related to Finance.
UCL: Starts in September and so grants me more time to do my internship.
LBS: Has an option 4th term which apparently allows students to apply, not only for grad schemes but also for summer analyst positions.

The question i want to ask is: what is more important for someone looking to go into Investment Banking:

a) Studying a pure finance course?
b) Posessing very recent, solid M&A experience which can be detailed and written about?
c) The chance to complete an optional 4th term and so apply for easier (?) summer internship positions rather than grad schemes?

I am in a bit of a tight spot and any and all help is much appreciated.
pmc:producer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by takasar)
I have been fortunate enough to receive offers from all 3 (MiM at LBS and UCL and Wealth & Investment Management at Imperial) and need to quickly decide where is best. I want to go into investment banking. I hope to start an internship in Beijing China next week, having already received an offer but the timing might be an issue since the earliest programme begins in late August. I desperately want to do this internship because my latest work experience was in summer 2017 and this might be deemed too distant for some banks/firms.

Both UCL and Imperial are often talked about as 'targets' and almost everybody talks about LBS's prestige, even at the MSc level, so it is very hard for me to make any choice based simply on reputation. If there is a distinct difference, then please do let me know. The main pro of each option is as follows:

Imperial: Course is more directly related to Finance.
UCL: Starts in September and so grants me more time to do my internship.
LBS: Has an option 4th term which apparently allows students to apply, not only for grad schemes but also for summer analyst positions.

The question i want to ask is: what is more important for someone looking to go into Investment Banking:

a) Studying a pure finance course?
b) Posessing very recent, solid M&A experience which can be detailed and written about?
c) The chance to complete an optional 4th term and so apply for easier (?) summer internship positions rather than grad schemes?

I am in a bit of a tight spot and any and all help is much appreciated.
For what you want I'd choose LBS.
takasar
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by pmc:producer)
For what you want I'd choose LBS.
Thanks for replying. Is there a reason for this? I had assumed that a recent internship would be more useful when applying for IBD (my most recent one is 2017) and so was actually seriously considering UCL since it starts later and would give me the time to do my Beijing internship.

My only real gripe with the LBS optional 4th term is that, at 24, i might be considered too 'old' for firms to give me a summer analyst position
pmc:producer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by takasar)
Thanks for replying. Is there a reason for this? I had assumed that a recent internship would be more useful when applying for IBD (my most recent one is 2017) and so was actually seriously considering UCL since it starts later and would give me the time to do my Beijing internship.

My only real gripe with the LBS optional 4th term is that, at 24, i might be considered too 'old' for firms to give me a summer analyst position
You want to work in an industry where educational reputation is everything. LBS is probably the most highly regarded business school in the world by both organizations and other business schools.

Even without this, for business I'd Imperial choose Imperial and wouldn't even be looking at UCL (who's reputation is from the uni brand not their business school).

Again, this is based on your international career/industry ambitions. If you have an option to study at the best, take it.
abdcdfg
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
LBS>Imperial>UCL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (207)
57.66%
I don't have everything I need (152)
42.34%

Watched Threads