The Student Room Group

Middle Ear Infection

Hey, I just got rid of my staph infection on my leg and when I went to the YMCA for the first time the other day, I can't hear anything out of my left ear. I cleaned it out and I can't hear anything out of it still. Every time I drink or eat something and I feel like there is a burp coming but I suppress it I get a pain in my left ear and its the same thing for yawning, burping, and sometimes swallowing food or drinks. I still have my pills for my staph infection but I have no idea that those will work, and every day it gets worse to the point where I don't want to eat or drink anything. Every day the ringing also gets a little bit louder even though I have no idea what caused it. When I went to the YMCA for the first time I went into the pool (I haven't went swimming in 3 years) then all of a sudden I couldn't hear out of my left. Any suggestions or ideas why I got a middle ear infection or why I lost hearing in my left ear?
Reply 1
Hi I have had this problem a lot and i realised it's actually water that caused my infections, I know weird right?! But anyway the 'burb' sensation in your ear is it popping and no matter how many times you try and dry your ears you won't be able to, if you havnt got your hearing back in like 3-5 days go to your GP but mine just recovers on its own (Also I avoid getting water in my ear) x
Reply 2
If the doctor suspects an ear infection after examining your ear, they will likely prescribe you an antibiotic ear spray to use for a week or two. Loss of hearing should be investigated urgently. Please make an appointment with your doctor.
Original post by Anyauk
Hi I have had this problem a lot and i realised it's actually water that caused my infections, I know weird right?! But anyway the 'burb' sensation in your ear is it popping and no matter how many times you try and dry your ears you won't be able to, if you havnt got your hearing back in like 3-5 days go to your GP but mine just recovers on its own (Also I avoid getting water in my ear) x

Weird? No, water is a playground for bacteria. A nice dry wax is acidic for bacteria, keep it that way. Also most ear infections are caused by people cleaning them out with Q tips and end up pushing wax back and creating a blockage.
Original post by Anyauk

It's not weird, no - moisture and bacteria go hand in hand. I got an ear infection from getting too much water in my ears when I went swimming once.
Reply 5
Original post by Anyauk

it feels like its popping everytime heat in my chest boils up when Im about to burp or the feeling im gonna burp. but it goes back right after which usually is just a second

Quick Reply

Latest