Computing BEng Imperial - advice needed

Watch
This discussion is closed.
______bigmanting
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am set on Imperial as my top target, but the admissions process seems like a big hurdle. The website states that they require a ‘90 minute online test’ and an ‘academic interview’, as well as a STEP requirement.

I currently have

Physics - A*
Economics - A*
Maths - A
Further Maths - A

as predictions, and I will raise the A in Maths to A* to meet the entry requirement by impressing teachers in September.

My GCSE’s are 6A*’s (including 9 in maths, 8 in English lit/lang) and 4 A’s, but these results are roughly average for my school

My questions are:

How can you prepare for the online test and the interview?
What sort of questions appear on both the test and the interview?
What STEP paper will Imperial need/ask for in the offer?
Is it realistic to start STEP preparation now, and if so how should I go about it?
Will I need proper programming skills to clear the interview and test?
And
Will Imperial even consider me with my current GCSE’s and A2 predicted grades?

Edit: I also didn’t take GCSE Computer Science, is this a disadvantage?
SkyRunner61
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't answer all of these, but in response to the few questions I do know the answers to...

What STEP paper will Imperial need/ask for in the offer?
Typical offers would involve either STEP 1 or STEP 2

Is it realistic to start STEP preparation now, and if so how should I go about it?
Working through the STEP correspondence course and doing some STEP papers. The correspondence course is now outdated but should still be a helpful reference. There are also many worked solutions to STEP paper questions here on TSR. Hopefully if you get stuck a teacher at your school/college will be able to help you out

Will Imperial even consider me with my current GCSE’s and A2 predicted grades?
If you get the Maths prediction boosted to an A* then you would meet the entry requirements for A Level. GCSEs I'm not so sure about, all I know is that you need to have a B/6 or higher in English Language.

I also didn’t take GCSE Computer Science, is this a disadvantage?
Not really as not everyone gets the opportunity to take the GCSE or A Level.

I'd recommend that you check out the 2018 Computer Science Applicants thread and the 2018 thread for Imperial Computing Applicants.
nilamDlg
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What kind of questions will be involved in test for the MEng Computing (G401)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.4%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.76%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.07%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.58%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (21)
17.07%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed