The Student Room Group

Law undergrad mature student discrimination

I am a mature student, mid twenties.

I own a small business, 6 employees.

I worked in a Law office for 2 years as a paralegal.

I applied to a few average universities in central London to study Law, that I will fund myself.

I have 3 A levels: ICT A*, ENGLISH A & MATH A.

Got rejected by all of them that are worth attending... "Not being in education for the past few years" and not have a "BUSINESS related qualification"...

I called the university that said I needed a business related qualification, as I thought that was a joke. I was told the follow:

"Sorry yes we prioritise students with business A levels"

I am terribly confused.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Business is odd. Did you apply to a law and business course? Might be on their website that they require it.

Of course, many unis require recent formal education. There is nothing discriminatory about that. You should check the course website before applying.
Original post by Notoriety
Business is odd. Did you apply to a law and business course? Might be on their website that they require it.

Of course, many unis require recent formal education. There is nothing discriminatory about that. You should check the course website before applying.

I applied to Law LLB, there was no requirements for 4 out of the 5 I applied to.
Reply 3
Original post by JamesMartin65

I applied to a few average universities in central London to study Law, that I will fund myself.

Got rejected by all of them... "Not being in education for the past few years" and not have a "BUSINESS related qualification"...

I called the university that said I needed a business related qualification, as I thought that was a joke. I was told the follow:

I am terribly confused.

That sounds really bizarre. Which universities? Could you call them to clarify?

Got rejected by all of them... "Not being in education for the past few years" and not have a "BUSINESS related qualification"...

I am terribly confused.

The mainstream answer is the absence from formal study. Some universities will waive this if your employment includes a "study-like" role. If the day job involves submitting reports or tenders involving research to third parties. some universities will treat that as adequate.

The "business qualification" looks a one off. Which university was it?
Original post by ajj2000
That sounds really bizarre. Which universities? Could you call them to clarify?

Called a few of them, same generic response.

South Bank
Westminster
Queen Mary
City
LSE - Wanted me in 3 years prior education, which is a prerequisite.
Original post by nulli tertius
The mainstream answer is the absence from formal study. Some universities will waive this if your employment includes a "study-like" role. If the day job involves submitting reports or tenders involving research to third parties. some universities will treat that as adequate.

The "business qualification" looks a one off. Which university was it?

City

I am the CEO of my company, small company but its functional and profitable...
(edited 5 years ago)
Curious as to see which unis as well?

Agree with what Nulli said about no recent academic qualification.

the business qualification is bizarre as have never seen it. Which uni?

So agree with everyone else including the point on discrimination.
Reply 8
Called a few of them, same generic response.

South Bank
Westminster
Queen Mary
City
LSE - Wanted me in 3 years prior education, which is a prerequisite.

LSE is very hard to get into. Pretty amazed about the others.
Original post by ajj2000
LSE is very hard to get into. Pretty amazed about the others.

I know, that was the dream at the time.

Like I said I am really confused
Dont have time to study and run my company.

Either one or the other, they cant expect that surely
Not good
(edited 5 years ago)
[QUOTE="FrankoJJameson;78878386"]

I have 3 A levels: ICT A*, ENGLISH A

I thought running your own company somewhat successfully would contribute greater than a A-level in Business
City

I am the CEO of my company, small company but its functional and profitable...

I don't think the position you occupy in the business or its success will cut any mustard with them. If they are going to waive a formal study requirement it will only be because your working life involves utilising skills sufficiently close to those used on a degree course.

Looking at City's website there does appear to be a preference for business qualifications albeit a slight one. In relation to A levels, it says "any subject" which perhaps reflects the tradition of non-vocational elite education in the UK, but it expresses a preference for business or business related subjects in relation to BTECS.
I am still not sure why recent educational attainments are required in undergrad courses, but not in postgrad course like taught Master's. Could someone enlighten me on the rationale behind this?
Original post by nulli tertius
I don't think the position you occupy in the business or its success will cut any mustard with them. If they are going to waive a formal study requirement it will only be because your working life involves utilising skills sufficiently close to those used on a degree course.

Looking at City's website there does appear to be a preference for business qualifications albeit a slight one. In relation to A levels, it says "any subject" which perhaps reflects the tradition of non-vocational elite education in the UK, but it expresses a preference for business or business related subjects in relation to BTECS.

I did read that, I have A-levels ones I assumed were standard and acceptable. If they had a requirement for formal education within a certain time period such as LSE I would understand and appreciate that. However for some I exceed the academic requirement and experience by a large margin.

Extremely strange to me
Dont have time to study and run my company.

Either one or the other, they cant expect that surely

Weren't you curious why so many people did Access courses? It is pretty common to require recent formal study for undergrad -- whether stated or not -- especially for an intense academic programme like law.

If you can study full-time at LSE, why can't you study part-time on an Access course? Are you hoping of winding your company up once you start your course? With respect, seems you have the idea that you must be good enough to get on these courses because you have a somewhat impressive background -- doesn't work like that.

And what do you mean in your OP, rejected by all those "worth attending"? Which ones did reject you? LSE, QMUL and City?
(edited 5 years ago)
Surely if he was trying fro LSE then his grades were struggling anyway? I can see why he would be rejected. Much less of a surprise now.

Dont think LSE counts as an average university, but the OP overestimates the strength of his application.
(edited 5 years ago)
I did read that, I have A-levels ones I assumed were standard and acceptable. If they had a requirement for formal education within a certain time period such as LSE I would understand and appreciate that. However for some I exceed the academic requirement and experience by a large margin.

Extremely strange to me

As a lawyer who has returned to part-time higher education several times without ticking these boxes, I would suggest that you don't give up yet.

Firstly, you are going to need some recent academic study. For goodness sake an Access to HE course will send you round the bend. Enrol to undertake a unit or two with the OU or see what is on offer by way of part-time short course at Birkbeck.

Secondly, the people you have dealt with on the phone spend their days dealing with clueless 17 year olds and foreigners with little understanding of English. Find the personal email address of the tutor for admissions and send him (by email) a proper business letter, the sort that begins "Dear Dr Buzfuz" and ends "Yours sincerely". Address him as an intelligent adult and in the course of it show that you are as well.

Although I know decent legal academics at LSE, I would give up on it. I wouldn't trouble UCL either.
(edited 5 years ago)
Wait what? You need A level Business to do law at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply