The Student Room Group

Law undergrad mature student discrimination

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notoriety
Recent formal study if you're coming from A-Levels. If you have a bachelor's already, you're probably a lot better equipped to study (after 8 years of education) to do a bachelor's than someone who has been out of education 8 years after doing A-Levels. I am not sure why you're surprised at all by this. With the greatest of respect, I imagine it is because you don't know all that many people who have taken A-Levels and then not proceeded speedily onto a degree. In the ugly areas of this country, filled with the proletariat, it is a lot more common.

Also OP was misleading. He got offers from South Bank and Westminster.

@nulli tertius is probably more familiar with the discrimination legislation. I don't agree that it is particularly controversial, as it pertains directly to your ability to complete the course and do well on it.

As we are exercising our imagination, one may express the sense of ignorance on what it takes to run a successful business and manage people with degrees and academic feats and those without, yet provided the same standard due to experience. There are attributes that transfer to anything you do in life, such as discipline.
No one gives a **** that you run a business; stop going on about it.

Do play nicely now
I would think that OP showing he can actually surivive in the real world would have been a plus for some of those law schools given some of the people i've seen come out of law school struggle to work a toaster and microwave or hold a conversation with anyone at all :s-smilie:. They could of at least put you in the right direction etc. Maybe do some evening courses at somewhere like OU or Birkbeck if based in London.
Original post by exam freak
I would think that OP showing he can actually surivive in the real world would have been a plus for some of those law schools given some of the people i've seen come out of law school struggle to work a toaster and microwave or hold a conversation with anyone at all :s-smilie:. They could of at least put you in the right direction etc. Maybe do some evening courses at somewhere like OU or Birkbeck if based in London.

I have no idea, perhaps a one off acute situation. I am in the process of looking for courses at Birkbeck, though relevant course hold Saturday classes which is a massive conflict. Will have to liaison with universities to see what they accept.

Thank you.
Also given your from scunthorpe and a mature student with your own business, you'd think they be interested in having a bit of diversity on the course. UCL seem particularly interested in this sort of thing. (I received some special consideration based on background and running my own business alongside A levels, received a lower offer and a chance at some funding). A good option might be to do an integrated foundation year, run by the university itself, after scoring above a threshold you are guaranteed progression. Also a lot of unis accept this sort of qualification for admission if you want to transfer from lets say UCL foundation year to LSE. They'd obviously want a pretty good performance however.
Also given your from scunthorpe and a mature student with your own business, you'd think they be interested in having a bit of diversity on the course. UCL seem particularly interested in this sort of thing. (I received some special consideration based on background and running my own business alongside A levels, received a lower offer and a chance at some funding). A good option might be to do an integrated foundation year, run by the university itself, after scoring above a threshold you are guaranteed progression. Also a lot of unis accept this sort of qualification for admission if you want to transfer from lets say UCL foundation year to LSE. They'd obviously want a pretty good performance however.

Born and raised in South West London. I will merely further white wash the environment with my white privilege and fathers Barrister money. Foundation course is a consideration, thank you. Will look into that now also.

I agree with you, a high performance would be crucial. I do intend to fully focus on my legal academics. Thank you for your advice.
Fair enough, my parents are white, but actually can't read and write :'). Use those Barrister contacts for some legal work experience before application and write about it on personal statement too, even better if its a prestigious set. Good luck!
Fair enough, my parents are white, but actually can't read and write :':wink:. Use those Barrister contacts for some legal work experience before application and write about it on personal statement too, even better if its a prestigious set. Good luck!

Well done for getting where you are

Was a paralegal for 2 years, think they're sick of me.
lol. Well that makes your rejections look slightly more weird :h:.
Honestly seems retarded. Years in education being spoon fed over real life experience + successful? Well assuming your business is at least SOMEWHAT successful.
Original post by degeneratetbhtbh
Honestly seems retarded. Years in education being spoon fed over real life experience + successful? Well assuming your business is at least SOMEWHAT successful.

Draw a nice profit each year. Have 6 staff. I would say that was somewhat successful.

Any profitable business is to some extent successful, no?
Original post by JamesMartin65
Draw a nice profit each year. Have 6 staff. I would say that was somewhat successful.

Any profitable business is to some extent successful, no?

Is nice profit at least 6 figures?

Ehhhh, idk. In my opinion? No, I wouldn’t consider a business making profit as successful, at least 6 figures for the owner in a year would be what I would want.
Original post by degeneratetbhtbh
Is nice profit at least 6 figures?

Ehhhh, idk. In my opinion? No, I wouldn’t consider a business making profit as successful, at least 6 figures for the owner in a year would be what I would want.

I don't think its appropriate to start throwing numbers about.

Lets say... A likelihood my corporation tax is a lot heavier than the salaries of those who are rejecting me from studying. Humbling.

6 permanent staff are expensive, considering the lowest salary is 24k.

I think I do well. I live comfortably.

Depends on overheads etc. There is a lot to consider.
I don't think its appropriate to start throwing numbers about.

Lets say... A likelihood my corporation tax is a lot heavier than the salaries of those who are rejecting me from studying. Humbling.

6 permanent staff are expensive, considering the lowest salary is 24k.

I think I do well. I live comfortably.

Depends on overheads etc. There is a lot to consider.

Indeed. Then I would assume your company > A level education.

What do I know though, I’m just a degenerate :smile:

With all due respect, there are many business owners who struggle to work a toaster and microwave too. Being successful doesn't necessarily translate to being brilliant, look no further than Donald Trump.

Sounds like the OP is too used to calling the shots and can't bear following instruction or receiving criticism. Which I would say makes him look like a terrible prospect for academia right now.
(edited 5 years ago)
Donald trump didn't set up a business he just inherited/was given a **** tonne, his businees advisers probably set him up, hardly the same as OP.
Reply 56
This was incredibly hard to read...

My advice to you - contact the Universities you wish to apply to. They will explain what their entry requirements are, having regards to your own personal circumstances. Just because you run a business, it does not mean that you will be an incredible academic. Academics take great pride in their work and what they have achieved. It is a different skill-set to the one you allegedly possess. I myself have 11 years of professional legal experience. I did not think for a second I would be able to walk into studying Law, waving my "look how amazing I am" flag.

If you want to attend a decent University, they will tell you to complete an Access course. Do it. Show the University how incredible you are by achieving the best marks possible, write a fantastic personal statement that captures the imagination of the admissions officer, score well above the average on the LNAT, and at that point, you'll have a competitive application to places like LSE. I think you'll find the Access Course very... humbling. A term you are familiar with. If that all sounds too much for you, a Degree is not what you should be thinking about doing.

Best of luck. I am off to LSE this year to study Law. It can be done, just don't expect someone to serve it to you on a silver platter.

The problem is that law professors, at least at the top schools, are people who do not care about practice. They are true intellectuals and rather care about the academic discussion of law. If you know how to make good money, and potentially that you will find a TC/pupillage at a top firm, you should know this does not interest them. All they care about is your ability to focus on the academic side of law, which they have spent decades considering.

The further problem with OP is that he thinks that a law professor, working at QMUL, would be gob-smacked to see someone who runs their own company. Even QMUL, which is rather a middling top uni, will see people who have worked for several years in billion-dollar corporations. In very elite roles. It is not that impressive or unique as OP seems to think, especially not for the 2 top schools he was considering. It does not mean OP is owed anything or that he is superior to the A*AA A-Level students in terms of his ability to study academic law, just because he has had some real-world experience.
The problem is that law professors, at least at the top schools, are people who do not care about practice. They are true intellectuals and rather care about the academic discussion of law. If you know how to make good money, and potentially that you will find a TC/pupillage at a top firm, you should know this does not interest them. All they care about is your ability to focus on the academic side of law, which they have spent decades considering.

The further problem with OP is that he thinks that a law professor, working at QMUL, would be gob-smacked to see someone who runs their own company. Even QMUL, which is rather a middling top uni, will see people who have worked for several years in billion-dollar corporations. In very elite roles. It is not that impressive or unique as OP seems to think, especially not for the 2 top schools he was considering. It does not mean OP is owed anything or that he is superior to the A*AA A-Level students in terms of his ability to study academic law, just because he has had some real-world experience.

This thread has deteriorated into something borderline obnoxious. I had no intention of being ostentatious, however it appears people have perceived it in that sense.

I merely came here to express something strange with my applicaiton process, maybe receive some good advice, opposed to negative speculation.
This thread has deteriorated into something borderline obnoxious. I had no intention of being ostentatious, however it appears people have perceived it in that sense.

I think there is more than a suspicion that it is not only the posters on here who have done so. We cannot know, but one of things that might have meant that the universities were so keen on further academic study, is if a presumptuousness came through in your personal statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending