The Student Room Group

Advice you wish you had when you started Year 12

I'm going into Year 12 and I'll be studying Math, Further Math, Economics and Physics. Looking for any subject specific advice or tips for A levels. Also, any good revision guides or resources for the following subjects would be greatly appreciated:

Oxford AQA International A level - Physics (9630)

Mathematics (Edexcel International) - Modular Course (I'll be completing this course in Year 12)

Economics (Edexcel International) - Modular Course
Original post by _Poseidon_
I'm going into Year 12 and I'll be studying Math, Further Math, Economics and Physics. Looking for any subject specific advice or tips for A levels. Also, any good revision guides or resources for the following subjects would be greatly appreciated:

Mathematics (Edexcel International) - Modular Course (I'll be completing this course in Year 12)

With maths, just get the textbook and then do as many questions as you can for each topic and you will be fine.

In Year 12, start thinking about what you want to do.m afterwards. It doesn't have to be university, but if it is then think about summer schools, lectures, books to read, open days etc
Reply 2
Original post by _Poseidon_

I do a different Economics spec which is a linear course so there will be some differences. However, there’s plenty of resources online and I like PMT’s Economics notes as they’re condensed and easy to understand. Also, is the person you’ve ought to ask if you ever need help - of course there’s others out there who can help. Overall, with A-Levels keep up with the workload and avoid slacking off because you’ll struggle but find that work-life balance and you’ll be fine. :smile:
Not to take A level maths because it's hell
Original post by juicyapples
Not to take A level maths because it's hell

What's the hard part about it?
Reply 5
Use your free periods productively.
Every hour you waste at the start of the year is an hour more work you'll be doing later on.
Reply 6
get a load of cgp books
Class tests do matter, take them seriously like the actual exam and make sure you ask questions if you don't understand anything in that lesson. Don't leave it for next lesson when they've moved on to another part. Use frees and do productive work and make sure h/w is done and handed in on deadlines. Everything matters in a-levels, even the small things.
Reply 8
Do note-taking from the start. It doesn't matter if they're messy, you can copy them up in your breaks or when you get home.
Always ask your teacher if you don't understand something
Use your breaks for revision, even if it's only 10 minutes.
Don't leave homework too late, try to do it or at least start it on the day it's handed out
Reply 9
Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
What's the hard part about it?

A level maths is fine, aslong as you don't sweep problems under the carpet and make sure you understand a topic 'from all sides' as it were. So for functions for example, look on youtube for some more indepth examples on the domain/range e.g. such as from BlackPenRedPen. For physics, same thing - always go one step further than you need to which will make you understand the concepts more, A Level Physics Online is a great resource. To revise for maths do LOTS of questions and past papers (Solomon papers are the old spec now but still contain relevent questions that stretch your understanding). And as mentioned above, by Christmas you should start to get a feel about whether you have a natural inclination to a certain subject and if you wish to go into academia or a vocational path. Start going to public lectures (The York Festival of Ideas was just recently on and will be next June), read relevant books, work experience (which is only useful if you can take something away from it). Places you're applying to only really care about what you got out of an experience, taking it to the extreme, they'd rather hear you say about how working in a shop has taught you how to overcome something and then you explain it, than having work experience at the UN and you saying 'Yeah, it was great'. Basically, don't waste time on needless things for the sake of it (don't leave it until the summer of year 12 to begin planning things. start this halloween/christmas). Anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask

Quick Reply

Latest