The Student Room Group

How do you get A* in essay based subjects?

I can write A* essays as homework or when I do it separately, but in exam conditions, its impossible for me.

When I write a high class essay I spend like an hour or two on it, I plan everything and think about what I need to write, however in exam conditions, the timing is restrictive and to me its hard to write an in depth essay within exam conditions.

In religious studies, you need fully logical arguments as well as detail, evidence and links with other areas of the subject, everything has to be on perfect level for a student to get above 25 out of 30 marks. And it doesn't help that the wording of the question could completely throw you off if you rush it.

I heard some tips that you should plan, and I have tried that, in my plan I only write the things I will talk about but when I actually write my essays I always waffle on. I just received my AS mock results and I got a B in Religious Studies, 2 off an A.

I want an A* in the end but I unsure on how I can get better in exam conditions.

The reason I always waffle on is because I want to make sure the examiner understands my points.

If I write without thinking and taking time, then I get to illogical arguments.

I need advice from A and A* students or any expert essay writers on how they structure and write essays, I need to know how they write, I think and right at the same time.
Reply 1
Original post by Rim alex
I can write A* essays as homework or when I do it separately, but in exam conditions, its impossible for me.

When I write a high class essay I spend like an hour or two on it, I plan everything and think about what I need to write, however in exam conditions, the timing is restrictive and to me its hard to write an in depth essay within exam conditions.

In religious studies, you need fully logical arguments as well as detail, evidence and links with other areas of the subject, everything has to be on perfect level for a student to get above 25 out of 30 marks. And it doesn't help that the wording of the question could completely throw you off if you rush it.

I heard some tips that you should plan, and I have tried that, in my plan I only write the things I will talk about but when I actually write my essays I always waffle on. I just received my AS mock results and I got a B in Religious Studies, 2 off an A.

I want an A* in the end but I unsure on how I can get better in exam conditions.

The reason I always waffle on is because I want to make sure the examiner understands my points.

I need advice from A and A* students or any expert essay writers on how they structure and write essays, I need to know how they write, I think and right at the same time.

I think you know what a perfect RS essay looks like but there are examples on the exam board website under the specification your doing. I think you just need to practice exam papers really and work on time-management and ask your teacher for support. :smile:
Hey! I got 4 A* at A-level (all essay based) including RS. I too would write too much pre-exams. I found practicing timed essays at home helped, as well as planning essays from notes so if something similar came up I would know what to stick to as opposed to waffle on. Good luck getting there!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Rim alex

I am in LOVE with Religious Studies!!!! Virtually!!! I am aiming for a grade 9 what about you???
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hey! I got 4 A* at A-level (all essay based) including RS. I too would write too much pre-exams. I found practicing timed essays at home helped, as well as planning essays from notes so if something similar came up I would know what to stick to as opposed to waffle on. Good luck getting there!

Wow that's very impressive! I guess ill master these methods, thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest