How to start off the A-level Art Essay ? (Personal Study)

Watch
cieraart
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am having a little trouble during my A-level Art, My Theme is Distortion and my sub-theme is emotions and expressions, I know which artist I would like to use in the essay but I am not quite sure how to structure the essay and any sentence starters to start the essay off, I have tried to start off by looking for templates and examples but cannot seem to find any.
nin-kaii
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Okay so this is just what I did for my course, yours might be different.

Give your artist a short introduction. Get pictures of that artists work, analyse them one by one in terms of colour, composition, mood, feelings, brushwork, materials, representations ect. Try to draw your own opinions for the work and really ponder the work on many levels. Repeat for another two works from the artists, and then do another artist, an introduction and their 3 works.

Sentences like this:

The details put into this art work suggest it has taken a lot of time for the artist to draw. The brush stokes are wide, and the colours range from pastel oranges to reds. (Start with observations of things you can see and deduct like this, then go on to how that makes the observer feel)
The composition is chaotic/orderly to convey the feelings of...
The work uses large/small brushstrokes to create the feeling of...
I think this artist is trying to express...
This symbolises... (At the end it's really good if you draw conclusions outside of the art world, eg. political statements, what it says about society at the time, how an average person might react to it, any issues)

Hope that helps!
cieraart
Rep:
?
That’s what I’ve been doing in my artist research. This is for the essay where you focus on one artist and not on you’re own works. I started it off and my teacher explained that this part is all about the artist and his intentions.Thanks for the help though.
cieraart
Rep:
?
Thanks for the sentence starters, I think they might help me structure my essay stronger .
zyounus1234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Which artist did you use?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (41)
37.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (9)
8.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (4)
3.64%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
26.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (17)
15.45%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
9.09%

Watched Threads