The Student Room Group

exponent and log

Capture.PNG

so far i know that ln(1-y) - ln(y) can be simplified to ln(1-y/y) and the ln can be removed via exponential so now i have :
ex = 1 - y / y

but am not sure how to form the proved solution. Am confused by how e-x is formed?
Original post by wagon23
Capture.PNG

so far i know that ln(1-y) - ln(y) can be simplified to ln(1-y/y) and the ln can be removed via exponential so now i have :
ex = 1 - y / y

but am not sure how to form the proved solution. Am confused by how e-x is formed?

Try solving the slightly simpler equation z=1yyz = \frac{1 - y}{y} for y. Then substitute z = e^x and notice that 1/e^x = e^(-x)
Reply 2
Original post by Gregorius
Try solving the slightly simpler equation z=1yyz = \frac{1 - y}{y} for y. Then substitute z = e^x and notice that 1/e^x = e^(-x)

so after re-arranging and making y the subject I get y = 1/ z + 1? subbing ex now you get e-x + 1 = y? how is the numerator formed?
Is this from mei?

After you rearrange to get 'y' as your subject, you should end up with y=1/e^x+1. And then you multiply your fraction by e^-x/e^-x.
Original post by wagon23
so after re-arranging and making y the subject I get y = 1/ z + 1? subbing ex now you get e-x + 1 = y? how is the numerator formed?

You should get y=11+zy = \frac{1}{1+z}
Reply 5
Original post by Gregorius
You should get y=11+zy = \frac{1}{1+z}

oh i see where i went wrong thanks
Reply 6
Original post by goldenusername
Is this from mei?

After you rearrange to get 'y' as your subject, you should end up with y=1/e^x+1. And then you multiply your fraction by e^-x/e^-x.

cie. and thanks for the help

Quick Reply

Latest