The Student Room Group

I have no idea which uni to choose - urgent!

I have offers for Physics with Astrophysics from Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Sheffield, York and Leeds and I'm having a really hard time deciding where to go. Honestly, none of them feel right for me. Unfortunately I wasn't able to visit Bath or Sheffield so I have limited information and what those are like. I'm not much into clubbing although I do enjoy an occasional night out. I would say I'm a bit more nerdy/introverted so I would like somewhere where I can meet those kind of people. I've been thinking about this for weeks but I have to decide by 6pm today and I'm no closer to making a decision, I keep going back and forth between them all. I think I've discounted Leeds because it seems to be a large city with a lot of partying, and Exeter because I've heard a lot of "posh" people go there? I really don't know what to do :frown:
1) Bath
2) York
Original post by frangipani19
I have offers for Physics with Astrophysics from Bristol, Bath, Exeter, Sheffield, York and Leeds and I'm having a really hard time deciding where to go. Honestly, none of them feel right for me. Unfortunately I wasn't able to visit Bath or Sheffield so I have limited information and what those are like. I'm not much into clubbing although I do enjoy an occasional night out. I would say I'm a bit more nerdy/introverted so I would like somewhere where I can meet those kind of people. I've been thinking about this for weeks but I have to decide by 6pm today and I'm no closer to making a decision, I keep going back and forth between them all. I think I've discounted Leeds because it seems to be a large city with a lot of partying, and Exeter because I've heard a lot of "posh" people go there? I really don't know what to do :frown:

I live in Bath and it's quite a small city, there are clubs, but I wouldn't say that it is a party city by any means. Bristol is a lot larger (but more prestigious - probably the most prestigious of all the places you have applied) and is a lot more "party oriented" but there are also nerds there for sure! If it were me I would go for Bristol - Bath is boring, Bristol is the best uni, and there's a lot more going on, even beyond partying, like talks and arts events and stuff.
bristollllllll
Original post by consignia
1) Bath
2) York

Why these 2? :s-smilie:

Original post by jenbrown1234
I live in Bath and it's quite a small city, there are clubs, but I wouldn't say that it is a party city by any means. Bristol is a lot larger (but more prestigious - probably the most prestigious of all the places you have applied) and is a lot more "party oriented" but there are also nerds there for sure! If it were me I would go for Bristol - Bath is boring, Bristol is the best uni, and there's a lot more going on, even beyond partying, like talks and arts events and stuff.

Prestige doesn't really bother me too much, I would rather just be somewhere I am happy. I have been studying in Bristol this year on a different course and I found there to be a huge partying and drugs scene, but that may just be the people I met this year. It could be different on a physics course idk :frown:

"I'm not much into clubbing although I do enjoy an occasional night out."

Bath I'd say is the most aligned to this statement. York second.
[QUOTE="consignia;78882522"]

I agree the poster should take Leeds, Sheffield and Bristol off the list if that’s important to them
[QUOTE="consignia;78882522"]

Thanks for the input. I did like the "vibe" at York; however the campus was very ugly lol. I think Bath campus also isn't great
I'm stuck between Bristol, Bath and York now. Bristol has the most beautiful campus, but I liked the vibe of the people at York, and I can't say much for Bath as I didn't get a chance to visit.
I'm stuck between Bristol, Bath and York now. Bristol has the most beautiful campus, but I liked the vibe of the people at York, and I can't say much for Bath as I didn't get a chance to visit.

You already said Bristol isn’t for you because of the scene.

You either gamble in your mind on bath or you go to York.
Reply 10

York campus isn't the most beautiful but the city itself is lovely. There are lots of societies, many catering for the non-clubbing type and during Freshers week there were lots of "alternative" activities for those who don't like heavy drinking - pub quiz as an alternative to a club trip etc. Even of the physics department is packed with all night party types (and I very much doubt that it will be!) there will be lots of like minded people for you to meet.
Best of luck with your decision.
Original post by paul514
You already said Bristol isn’t for you because of the scene.

You either gamble in your mind on bath or you go to York.

Well I don't really know if everyone at Bristol is like that, or just the people I met this year
Well I don't really know if everyone at Bristol is like that, or just the people I met this year

Well obviously not everyone at Bristol is like that.
Original post by marple
York campus isn't the most beautiful but the city itself is lovely. There are lots of societies, many catering for the non-clubbing type and during Freshers week there were lots of "alternative" activities for those who don't like heavy drinking - pub quiz as an alternative to a club trip etc. Even of the physics department is packed with all night party types (and I very much doubt that it will be!) there will be lots of like minded people for you to meet.
Best of luck with your decision.

Bath is a really nice campus on a hill overlooking the stunning views of the city of Bath. It is the smallest city but really is nice. Dont rule out Exeter for the reasons given as the vast majority of Exeter students dont fit that bill. If you stay away from Marden and Holland Halls, Birks and some sports societies like cricket, rugby etc it is highly unlikely you will come accross any problem. I know a number of people ho were not exactly flushed with cash who enjoyed their time there. My gut feeling is Bath might suit you best or Exeter which is also a small city without a great deal of nightlife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROJ3GYbGcgQ
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/visit/campuses/virtualtours/streathamcampusexeter/
Original post by swanseajack1
Bath is a really nice campus on a hill overlooking the stunning views of the city of Bath. It is the smallest city but really is nice. Dont rule out Exeter for the reasons given as the vast majority of Exeter students dont fit that bill. If you stay away from Marden and Holland Halls, Birks and some sports societies like cricket, rugby etc it is highly unlikely you will come accross any problem. I know a number of people ho were not exactly flushed with cash who enjoyed their time there. My gut feeling is Bath might suit you best or Exeter which is also a small city without a great deal of nightlife.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROJ3GYbGcgQ
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/visit/campuses/virtualtours/streathamcampusexeter/

The reason I wasn't sure about Bath is because the campus looked quite grey and ugly but I may be wrong :s-smilie: I think Exeter is also a bit far from me (about 4 hours) and the course structure doesn't appeal as much but it is a lovely city and campus. Honestly I think I will just stick with Bristol and try to make the most of it, I can always apply elsewhere in clearing if I find somewhere that grabs me more.
The reason I wasn't sure about Bath is because the campus looked quite grey and ugly but I may be wrong :s-smilie: I think Exeter is also a bit far from me (about 4 hours) and the course structure doesn't appeal as much but it is a lovely city and campus. Honestly I think I will just stick with Bristol and try to make the most of it, I can always apply elsewhere in clearing if I find somewhere that grabs me more.

The issue with Bristol is that it is in the centre of a very vibrant city and applying late the accommodation maybe someway from the uni. From what you have said this isnt what you want but really the decision is go for wherever you feel comfortable. Going somewhere else in clearing is that last thing you should be looking to do as there will be greater accommodation issues, it will be difficult because the university if you reach your grades will have to place you into clearing and sometimes this is a lengthy process and the best of the other courses will already have been picked up by students who do not have to rely on their university doing this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending