Ask about my A Levels!

Watch this thread
jadey.tw
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Inspired by AyyJeh I thought I would create a thread for anyone with questions about my A Levels. I am starting uni in Sept, and have just finished my A Level exams.

I studied AS Maths (AQA), A Level Philosophy (AQA), A Level Gov & Politics (Edexcel) and A Level Sociology (AQA).
I dropped maths and took up fast track sociology in my second year because I didn't do great but I did have an A at GCSE so can help explain the jump for anyone interested, and do have a year experience!

Hope this is helpful
icygrl
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Hi, how did you find sociology? I finished my A level exams as well! Good luck for results day!
AyyJeh
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jadey.tw)
Inspired by AyyJeh I thought I would create a thread for anyone with questions about my A Levels. I am starting uni in Sept, and have just finished my A Level exams.

I studied AS Maths (AQA), A Level Philosophy (AQA), A Level Gov & Politics (Edexcel) and A Level Sociology (AQA).
I dropped maths and took up fast track sociology in my second year because I didn't do great but I did have an A at GCSE so can help explain the jump for anyone interested, and do have a year experience!

Hope this is helpful
I feel very honoured with this shout out!

But good to see you helping out!

I remember I was in a confused situation 2 years ago about what to pick and I had limited help, so thought I'd try and help (maybe even a few if possible), as I know how hard this decision is for some.
IQuitTSR
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
How did you find the jump between GCSE and A level math?

I am curious since I didn't feel like it was a jump at all

And also, what made you good in GCSE math but didn't work for A level math?
jadey.tw
Rep:
(Original post by kiki213)
Hi, how did you find sociology? I finished my A level exams as well! Good luck for results day!
Did you study the AQA course too? I found it really interesting, it's a big course like loadsss of content but the content itself isn't necessarily difficult, and we obviously live in a society so everything is relevant. I found the Education unit the best, it was the most debate-y and the exams aren't too bad either they're structured nicely and once you knack the essay style you're good because it's consistent across all three papers. I also loved my teachers they definitely made the course more interesting for me, I think if I'd had someone who just worked off of textbooks it'd have really ruined the course for me. What about yourself?

And thank you, good luck to you too!
jadey.tw
Rep:
(Original post by TheTroll73)
How did you find the jump between GCSE and A level math?

I am curious since I didn't feel like it was a jump at all

And also, what made you good in GCSE math but didn't work for A level math?
I didn't enjoy it enough to put in the work needed really. It was good at GCSE because obviously the course is a lot smaller, getting to A Level the course is bigger and I didn't have enough motivation to revise and work as hard as I needed to in all honesty. I don't regret it because maths is less applicable to my uni course than sociology anyways and I couldn't have done a second year with how grumpy I was aha. My teacher was very patronising as well which didn't help, whereas my GCSE teacher was so lovely.
IQuitTSR
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I didn't enjoy it enough to put in the work needed really. It was good at GCSE because obviously the course is a lot smaller, getting to A Level the course is bigger and I didn't have enough motivation to revise and work as hard as I needed to in all honesty. I don't regret it because maths is less applicable to my uni course than sociology anyways and I couldn't have done a second year with how grumpy I was aha. My teacher was very patronising as well which didn't help, whereas my GCSE teacher was so lovely.
oh I see A level math simply wasn't "your cup of tea"
tblNick
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I will be doing AQA Philosophy and EDEXCEL Gov. & Politics. Could you give me your best advice on getting ahead, hitting the top marks, and in general anything that you personally did to revise/excel at these two subjects.

Thanks,
Nick.
jadey.tw
Rep:
(Original post by TheTroll73)
oh I see A level math simply wasn't "your cup of tea"
lol pretty much, did you find the whole A Level okay though?
IQuitTSR
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
lol pretty much, did you find the whole A Level okay though?
yes

except that I found the exam questions boring
icygrl
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Did you study the AQA course too? I found it really interesting, it's a big course like loadsss of content but the content itself isn't necessarily difficult, and we obviously live in a society so everything is relevant. I found the Education unit the best, it was the most debate-y and the exams aren't too bad either they're structured nicely and once you knack the essay style you're good because it's consistent across all three papers. I also loved my teachers they definitely made the course more interesting for me, I think if I'd had someone who just worked off of textbooks it'd have really ruined the course for me. What about yourself?

And thank you, good luck to you too!
No, I studied Law at AQA, sociology wasn't an option at my previous college. Law has lots of content as well, lots of cases and acts to remember and we needed to write loads of essays for the exams. Yes, I agree, my teacher was great! I think trying to self-study law can work but having a teacher to mark your work and check your answers helps a lot.
jadey.tw
Rep:
(Original post by kiki213)
No, I studied Law at AQA, sociology wasn't an option at my previous college. Law has lots of content as well, lots of cases and acts to remember and we needed to write loads of essays for the exams. Yes, I agree, my teacher was great! I think trying to self-study law can work but having a teacher to mark your work and check your answers helps a lot.
Yeah I think just the class discussions etc can help things stick in your head more than if you were alone learning a subject. But I'm glad law went well, they teach it at my college but I think its a different exam board.
icygrl
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Yeah I think just the class discussions etc can help things stick in your head more than if you were alone learning a subject. But I'm glad law went well, they teach it at my college but I think its a different exam board.
True, self-studying can be quite daunting and you need a lot of motivation. Thanks, I'm glad sociology went well for you too, Law was my favourite subject at A level and I'd definitely recommend it for anyone who wants to study law as a degree or for anyone who's thinking of getting a law-related career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (93)
20%
The paper was reasonable (178)
38.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.59%
It was TERRIBLE (75)
16.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed