The Student Room Group

Gap year Applicant for Maths and CS with slightly lower IB score

I am a first-time Oxford applicant from India and I have received an IB score of 38 points with 775 in my HLs (Maths, Physics, Chemistry), while the Maths + CS course asks for 39 points overall with 766 in HLs.

Is it possible to still make a competitive application with otherwise strong components (ex. solid MAT score, reference letter, personal statement)?
Original post by Tonks14
I am a first-time Oxford applicant from India and I have received an IB score of 38 points with 775 in my HLs (Maths, Physics, Chemistry), while the Maths + CS course asks for 39 points overall with 766 in HLs.

Is it possible to still make a competitive application with otherwise strong components (ex. solid MAT score, reference letter, personal statement)?

I'm afraid that if you have no chance of making the standard offer, then your application is very unlikely to be successful. Sorry.

Gavin
Original post by Tonks14

It might be possible, but I would say it’s quite unlikely
OP get Chemistry remarked.
If it goes up to a 6, then you have met the Oxford requirement.
Btw since maths is one of the few subjects that Oxbridge dont like gap years in, you are already at a disadvantage by applying on a gap year (Dr Lowe can hopefully confirm @gavinlowe :smile:). So if the remark is not successful then there is no point in applying to Oxford tbh.
Apply to warwick. Your scores meet their requirements for a lot of their maths courses (MORSE, MathsStat, Discrete Math etc.)
Original post by Rohan77642
OP get Chemistry remarked.
If it goes up to a 6, then you have met the Oxford requirement.
Btw since maths is one of the few subjects that Oxbridge dont like gap years in, you are already at a disadvantage by applying on a gap year (Dr Lowe can hopefully confirm @gavinlowe :smile:). So if the remark is not successful then there is no point in applying to Oxford tbh.
Apply to warwick. Your scores meet their requirements for a lot of their maths courses (MORSE, MathsStat, Discrete Math etc.)

The deferred entry policy is at <http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/what_do_tutors_look_for.html#Deferred%20entry%20applications>. We don't hold strong views either way.

Gavin
Original post by gavinlowe
The deferred entry policy is at <http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why_oxford/what_do_tutors_look_for.html#Deferred%20entry%20applications>. We don't hold strong views either way.

Gavin

Thank you Sir :smile:
Reply 6

Gavin

Professor , what exactly do you mean by strong views? Isn't it necessary to engage in smoe productive activity during the gap year?
Original post by r_gup
Professor , what exactly do you mean by strong views?

We aren't strongly opposed to gap years; but we're not strongly in favour of them, either.

Isn't it necessary to engage in smoe productive activity during the gap year?

Yes: see the link I posted.

Gavin
Reply 8
We aren't strongly opposed to gap years; but we're not strongly in favour of them, either.

Yes: see the link I posted.

Gavin

Thanks Professor.

Quick Reply

Latest