A.Montgomery
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is Chemistry,Biology & Psychology a good combination? & How are these subjects at A Level?
bfm.mcdermott
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, these courses go well together and will compliment each other. The fact that psychology is essay-based means your work won’t all be too similar.

What are you thinking of doing after Year 13? You may wish to look into that since psychology is not considered to be a facilitating subject (except for psychology courses of course).

But yes I think they’re a good mix
A.Montgomery
Rep:
?
(Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
Yes, these courses go well together and will compliment each other. The fact that psychology is essay-based means your work won’t all be too similar.

What are you thinking of doing after Year 13? You may wish to look into that since psychology is not considered to be a facilitating subject (except for psychology courses of course).

But yes I think they’re a good mix

Possibly a medical degree to become a doctor but I'm not 100% sure but something science based of course

And thank you!
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did these subjects for my A Level and found them a very good combination! Biology and chemistry (obviously) blend well and biology and psychology also link often. They all require different skills and are very interesting so they do work well.

As for a medical or science based degree these would also work and allow you to do that.
A.Montgomery
Rep:
?
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
I did these subjects for my A Level and found them a very good combination! Biology and chemistry (obviously) blend well and biology and psychology also link often. They all require different skills and are very interesting so they do work well.

As for a medical or science based degree these would also work and allow you to do that.
Really! thank you this was really helpful! how did you find the workload and the difficulty for each one? if you don't mind me asking?
yeahthatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by A.Montgomery)
Really! thank you this was really helpful! how did you find the workload and the difficulty for each one? if you don't mind me asking?
Workload wise, chemistry had a lot less than biology which had less than psychology (not by much however). The content in biology and psychology I didn't personally find hard but there's just so much of it to memorise in both of them and that's where the difficulty comes in. Chemistry I found to be the most difficult, but this is obviously a personal and subjective thing. I've never been the best at maths and sometimes just struggle to write what they want me to in the longer questions but once you've done a lot of practice you should be okay.
Biology exams (I'm talking about AQA here) tend to be a lot of application, graph interpretation and generally just very vague or obscure references to the content. You are very rarely going to be asked direct questions about your content and this is why everyone hates biology exams. A lot of it tends to have very little to do with what you've learned over the two years and so practising application is very key to doing well.

Best of luck and anymore questions just ask!
A.Montgomery
Rep:
?
Workload wise, chemistry had a lot less than biology which had less than psychology (not by much however). The content in biology and psychology I didn't personally find hard but there's just so much of it to memorise in both of them and that's where the difficulty comes in. Chemistry I found to be the most difficult, but this is obviously a personal and subjective thing. I've never been the best at maths and sometimes just struggle to write what they want me to in the longer questions but once you've done a lot of practice you should be okay.
Biology exams (I'm talking about AQA here) tend to be a lot of application, graph interpretation and generally just very vague or obscure references to the content. You are very rarely going to be asked direct questions about your content and this is why everyone hates biology exams. A lot of it tends to have very little to do with what you've learned over the two years and so practising application is very key to doing well.

Best of luck and anymore questions just ask!
You sound so smart haha! thank you for giving me so much insight, I was thinking of taking the three but I'm scared I'm not cut out for the subjects although, I enjoy them. I hate making these types of decisions haha! So in psychology besides the case studies do you learn about the different parts of the brain etc?
yeahthatonethere
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You sound so smart haha! thank you for giving me so much insight, I was thinking of taking the three but I'm scared I'm not cut out for the subjects although, I enjoy them. I hate making these types of decisions haha! So in psychology besides the case studies do you learn about the different parts of the brain etc?
Honestly half the battle is enjoying the subjects you want to do! You're way more likely to do the work for something you like and get better grades than doing something you hate.

As for psychology it greatly depends on your exam board. This is one subject where which exam board you take greatly impacts what you cover. AQA psychology will be very different to OCR psychology and so on so it's very hard to say what you will cover. I did Edexcel which is a very uncommon board for psychology but we did cover the brain a bit. Brain wise we basically had to learn the names of the different lobes, learned a bit more in depth about the amygdala and prefrontal cortex in the context of aggression, the effect of drugs on the brain/synapses, and the effect of schizophrenia and depression on the brain. The best way to see what you will cover is to find out what board you will do and look up the specification for it!

If these are subjects you seriously want to do and you are willing to put a lot of work in then I'm sure you'll do great! Please feel free to ask anymore questions.
A.Montgomery
Rep:
?
Honestly half the battle is enjoying the subjects you want to do! You're way more likely to do the work for something you like and get better grades than doing something you hate.

As for psychology it greatly depends on your exam board. This is one subject where which exam board you take greatly impacts what you cover. AQA psychology will be very different to OCR psychology and so on so it's very hard to say what you will cover. I did Edexcel which is a very uncommon board for psychology but we did cover the brain a bit. Brain wise we basically had to learn the names of the different lobes, learned a bit more in depth about the amygdala and prefrontal cortex in the context of aggression, the effect of drugs on the brain/synapses, and the effect of schizophrenia and depression on the brain. The best way to see what you will cover is to find out what board you will do and look up the specification for it!

If these are subjects you seriously want to do and you are willing to put a lot of work in then I'm sure you'll do great! Please feel free to ask anymore questions.
Psychology definitely sounds like something I would be engaged in and want to actually learn about, I'm pretty sure the exam board is AQA although, the stuff you said you did were included in the AQA specification too. Thanks & If I have any more questions I'll ask!
minivampire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is Chemistry,Biology & Psychology a good combination? & How are these subjects at A Level?
Hey!
I only took Psychology (AQA) myself, but that is a good combination to have
A lot of the students in my class commented on how taking biology Alevel helped with Psychology.

Personally found Psychology a very interesting subject, especially the experiments!
If you do take AQA;
Paper 1: Social influence, memory, attachment and psychopathology (ocd, depression and phobias).
* you mentioned about the brain in an ealier comment, the brain does come up here, but not a great deal.
- some interesting studies from this paper are; Zimbardo, Asch, Milgram, Bowlby.

Paper 2; Biopsychology, approaches and research methods.
*so biology comes up and this had a bit more of the brain involved!

Paper 3; Issues and debates, plus three optional topics, so people will choose different, but I picked; relationships, forensics and schizophrenia.

The websites my teacher used (who works for aqa and writes the papers);
Tutor2u (they are also on youtube)
Simply Psychology
A.Montgomery
Rep:
?
(Original post by minivampire)
Hey!
I only took Psychology (AQA) myself, but that is a good combination to have
A lot of the students in my class commented on how taking biology Alevel helped with Psychology.

Personally found Psychology a very interesting subject, especially the experiments!
If you do take AQA;
Paper 1: Social influence, memory, attachment and psychopathology (ocd, depression and phobias).
* you mentioned about the brain in an ealier comment, the brain does come up here, but not a great deal.
- some interesting studies from this paper are; Zimbardo, Asch, Milgram, Bowlby.

Paper 2; Biopsychology, approaches and research methods.
*so biology comes up and this had a bit more of the brain involved!

Paper 3; Issues and debates, plus three optional topics, so people will choose different, but I picked; relationships, forensics and schizophrenia.

The websites my teacher used (who works for aqa and writes the papers);
Tutor2u (they are also on youtube)
Simply Psychology
It sounds really interesting! Thank you for the breakdown! I'm pretty sure my schools sixth form is AQA but I'll double check!
minivampire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It sounds really interesting! Thank you for the breakdown! I'm pretty sure my schools sixth form is AQA but I'll double check!
No problem
If it is AQA and you ever have any questions/get stuck on something.
Don't hesitate to send a message
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (50)
17.92%
No one else does (87)
31.18%
I'm embarrassed about my background (29)
10.39%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (94)
33.69%
We don't use a video platform (6)
2.15%
I don't have a camera (7)
2.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
2.15%

Watched Threads