The Student Room Group

Urgent advice needed. He lied about his age!

Scroll to see replies

I don't see the problem...? If it were the other way around in terms of gender it would have been fine... You aren't getting married or having sex lmao....
Fair enough,

No OP, talking to under 16s is not a crime, it will not ruin your life. It's a bit off to have to ask.
Original post by agrew
It's highly unlucky anything will happen, you're stressing too much over this.

If it was me I would be worried about it leaking to his parents and them drawing all the wrong conclusions. I would want to collate any evidence I have and maybe even consult a solicitor so that I have pre-briefed a lawyer in case I got arrested.

The defence here could be very very poor judgement, since I believe most people can tell the difference between 14 and 20, especially in boys.
If you didn't have sex or exchange pics don't worry. The police will never even have a reason to look at your relationship and if they did they could get your messages and see what happened.
liars gonna lie

move along nothing else to do
Calm down. You did nothing wrong. Nothing's going to happen. Move on.
Let's say that the kid speaks to his parents? If you haven't done anything, then surely there is no possible line of 'attack' on you?
Reply 27
Original post by Fullofsurprises

The defence here could be very very poor judgement, since I believe most people can tell the difference between 14 and 20, especially in boys.

Not everyone looks their age

i've seen some people walking around who must be at least 17 [taking into consideration the college necklace they were wearing and the fact I saw them walking around with it last academic year] ....look about 13/14

Likewise sometimes on the rare occasion In the past i've seen guys wearing school uniform that look about 19/20
Reply 28
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, I would laugh at me too. What was I thinking? I feel absolutely disgusting and gross.

Dw OP, some people just like the younger fish in the sea :perv:

Original post by JustSomeoneAlone
I knew I would see you here:biggrin:

Ik, some of these threads seem to literally have my name on them

Calling for my response :biggrin:
If all you did was talk and no record of the messages exist then there'd be too much reasonable doubt for a grooming charge. If he's kept the messages, that'd be enough evidence to clear your name as you clearly thought he was of age and stopped chatting with him when he lied. Besides, a 14/15 year old boy who's tried his luck trying to pull a 19 year old isn't going to dob her in for grooming unless he's actually a psychopath, so for anything to ever come up again his parents or whoever would need to find out first, which isn't likely.

No nudes, no sexy meetups, so no there's no other crime or wrongdoing you could potentially be accused of. It seems like you've done everything correctly already, so there's no need to worry. Just block and never speak to him again.

TL;DR: What you've done already is fine, and there's no need to worry anymore.
there was a case of where this happened to a 30+ year old man through online dating several years back. he had actually arranged to meet the girl who he thought was within legal age when in fact the girl was 13 or something. it broke all over the news and the guy immediately turned himself in and explained and it turned out the girl had lied to him and he was not charged. but his name did get all the media so maybe his life was ruined.

This can happen to anyone its why I always follow the same rules with online dating keep and save all messages texts etc
if you do meet, do so in a public place
speak them over the phone before meeting
ask them questions about their life people often reveal things accidentely here if they are ******** merechents.

Eg I went on a date with a girl who claimed to own her own place. she later said that I was paying less rent then her, she tried to make this fit somehow but it was clear she was lying. I have no idea what she gained by lying there but I later worked out she was a con artist.
Hi, I confronted him and he aplogised. I did save them at first but now I have deleted everything and blocked him. If only this post was posted faster I wouldn’t have had to make my own decision. No nudes were exchanged. I just feel very disgusting. I don’t know what to do about it. I didn’t keep any evidence as I wanted to delete all traces. I really can’t be involved in something like this.

Delete all you like, your ISP and email service have backup copies, that will enable them (and anyone else) to recover all messages and drafts. In fact, there may be "deleted" copies still on your machine too. The memory in the digital domain is truely 'forever'. Best of luck!! These days, you need to ask to see a birth certificate.
Reply 32
You should be happy that at least nothing happened between you 2.
if other way around imagine all the abuse the guy would get. double standards right youd all say its not fine a 20 year old man is talking to a 14 year old girl regardless of what they did
(edited 5 years ago)
just stay out of his way. its unlikely that anything will happen unless someone will find out about it and report you to the police. i doubt he will do it. the only people likely to be outraged enough to go to the police are his parents and i doubt he will ever tell them. so just stay away from him.

in a hypothetical worse case scenario situation, if someone does tell the police you just tell the police the truth. that he originally told you he was 19. and show that theres no dirty pics of him on your phone. they can't really charge you for being catfished.
Should've kept evidence that he said he was older. But dw about it, just stop talking to the kid and I'm sure he won't come after you or anything lol. Esp because you're the girl the family is incredibly unlikely to find out and press charges.

You didn't sleep with him did you? If not then its all good
Please don't feel guilty about it! You completely did nothing wrong. You had feelings for someone who claimed they were a year under you, so it's natural that you'd like them. It is very unfair that he lied to you about it because he was completely disregarding how you'd feel if he unveiled his true age.

Also, the fact that you feel so guilty about it obviously shows that you do not have the mentality to hurt or abuse him, whereas he lied to you on purpose. You are the better person!
Reply 37
drama queen you are clearly attention seeking
Noooo, thank God there was no sexual activity involved.
He did tell me that we didn’t do anything illegal because we were only texting but still some of the texts were suggestive? I still can’t help but feel absolutely disgusting. I hate myself rn but there is nothing I can do.

You’re being too hard on yourself. You didn’t even do anything?

He should hate himself for being a liar.
Reply 39
Did you ever meet him, do anything with him??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending