_chlo01
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've recently finished my A-Level courses English Language & Literature, Photography and Fine Art and I have previously acquired my grade for AS Creative Writing. I was thinking on taking the AS courses Graphic Design & Illustration, Psychology and Journalism (Level 3 award) since I am still uncertain about my future and what I want to pursue.

I am considering going to Uni next year although I'm getting quite anxious as I'll have to decide what degree I want to take; either a degree fixated in the English area or Arts area. I was thinking of studying Speech and Language Therapy (for 3-4 years) or Graphic Design (for 3 years approx) but the juxtaposition between the two makes it difficult for me as I enjoy both English and Design. Another career I was interested in was teaching English as a second language abroad or even just teaching it in England.

I am predicted A/B grades for my current A-Levels which should be solid grades for what I want to do. It's just figuring out what career route I want to go down.

I understand this is very subjective but I would appreciate your thoughts and opinions about what might be better for me, any jobs and/or degrees you think might appeal to me etc. I would like to have a good, solid salary too that is progressive.

Thank you!
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’d say long term career employment in the language and speech therapy field is much more likely than a career in graphic designer. GD is highly competitive with thousands upon thousands of freelancers severely undercutting the entire industry. Art degree’s often end up being basket weaving degrees. You can graphic design without a degree. You can’t do speech and language therapy without one. Therefore the speech therapy degree holds more weight and liklehood of reliable post degree employment, in my opinion
_chlo01
Rep:
?
Thanks for your opinion! I saw a degree option that allowed me to study Linguistics for 2 years and then, If I wanted to, fast-track Speech and Language Therapy for 2 years. I thought it might be a good shout because I'd have the combination of both Linguistics and Speech & Language Therapy just in case in the future I decide to focus on something else in the English field rather than it be specific to one career. I just feel like I don't have much time as I'm already 18 and many people go to Uni at this age so it's just making me anxious.. 😅

(Original post by Milax1x)
I’d say long term career employment in the language and speech therapy field is much more likely than a career in graphic designer. GD is highly competitive with thousands upon thousands of freelancers severely undercutting the entire industry. Art degree’s often end up being basket weaving degrees. You can graphic design without a degree. You can’t do speech and language therapy without one. Therefore the speech therapy degree holds more weight and liklehood of reliable post degree employment, in my opinion
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by _chlo01)
Thanks for your opinion! I saw a degree option that allowed me to study Linguistics for 2 years and then, If I wanted to, fast-track Speech and Language Therapy for 2 years. I thought it might be a good shout because I'd have the combination of both Linguistics and Speech & Language Therapy just in case in the future I decide to focus on something else in the English field rather than it be specific to one career. I just feel like I don't have much time as I'm already 18 and many people go to Uni at this age so it's just making me anxious.. 😅
Lol you’re 18. I’m 21 and going to uni in September, many people go even further in life. Our generation probably won’t even retire till 70+ so it’s really not even close to being too late
_chlo01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Milax1x)
Lol you’re 18. I’m 21 and going to uni in September, many people go even further in life. Our generation probably won’t even retire till 70+ so it’s really not even close to being too late
That's true haha. It's just college and friends that's kinda pushing me to go to uni asap. What are you going to study?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads