The Student Room Group

Cancelling monthly car insurance?

If I cancel my car insurance which is paid monthly after around 2 months for example, will I have to continue paying the rest of the insurance? For example, if it was £100 per month, do I have to continue paying?

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If your insurance is a month by month lease then no. But I highly doubt that. Usually monthly insurance is just annual insurance broken down into monthly payments if you can’t afford the lump sum of a years payment. In this case you would be bound by contract to continue paying every month.
Original post by Perfection Ace
If I cancel my car insurance which is paid monthly after around 2 months for example, will I have to continue paying the rest of the insurance? For example, if it was £100 per month, do I have to continue paying?

Thanks.

You'll end up with a hefty cancellation charge more than likely, subject to their policy.

@AngryJellyfish - Can we get this moved to Cars and motoring, please.

Thanks.

Read your terms and conditions! There will be a break clause. I’ve only ever paid yearly and usually there’s a cancellation charge (about £40-£60) and then they refund you the rest of the years premium minus the charge.

It may be similar with monthly, but it depends what your policy documents say.
Original post by Milax1x
If your insurance is a month by month lease then no. But I highly doubt that. Usually monthly insurance is just annual insurance broken down into monthly payments if you can’t afford the lump sum of a years payment. In this case you would be bound by contract to continue paying every month.

Ahh right. I just need temporary insurance until uni but I can't find any quotes at all.

Monthly insurance is actually quite cheap and I thought that would've been the best alternative.

Thanks for the info bro
Original post by RoyalSheepy
You'll end up with a hefty cancellation charge more than likely, subject to their policy.

@AngryJellyfish - Can we get this moved to Cars and motoring, please.

If it's under £100 that's fine to be honest.
Original post by carrotstar
Read your terms and conditions! There will be a break clause. I’ve only ever paid yearly and usually there’s a cancellation charge (about £40-£60) and then they refund you the rest of the years premium minus the charge.

It may be similar with monthly, but it depends what your policy documents say.

Ok thank you, I'll try to do some reading of their T&Cs.
Ahh right. I just need temporary insurance until uni but I can't find any quotes at all.

Monthly insurance is actually quite cheap and I thought that would've been the best alternative.

Thanks for the info bro

Tried Veygo? Insure yourself on the days you need the car
Reply 8
Can’t you get put as a named driver on your parents car? Why do you need a car so bad for uni? Travel to work/social events on the bus or train. It’s not worth the expense just before uni
Tried Veygo? Insure yourself on the days you need the car

Yeah man, I tried calling but their lines are busy?? They only do 28 days max as well.
Original post by Milax1x
Can’t you get put as a named driver on your parents car? Why do you need a car so bad for uni? Travel to work/social events on the bus or train. It’s not worth the expense just before uni

Yeah I tried checking the prices but its still £700+. I was hoping to just drive my own car with only my Dad insured but apparently its too risky as the cops have a rough idea of who should be driving the car.

Yeah I guess i'll just bus it to work
Ok thank you, I'll try to do some reading of their T&Cs.

Ohhhh so you don’t have the insurance yet? Are you searching?

In which case you can usually see on comparison sites a breakdown of information which tells you how much the cancellation fee would be. I recommend searching on compare the market.
Original post by carrotstar
Ohhhh so you don’t have the insurance yet? Are you searching?

In which case you can usually see on comparison sites a breakdown of information which tells you how much the cancellation fee would be. I recommend searching on compare the market.

Oh right I didn't know it shows the cancellation fees too. Ok cheers, I'll go look now. (PRSOM)
Yeah I tried checking the prices but its still £700+. I was hoping to just drive my own car with only my Dad insured but apparently its too risky as the cops have a rough idea of who should be driving the car.

Yeah I guess i'll just bus it to work

They’ll have more than a rough idea. The camera’s say the name and age of the person who’s insured so unless you look your dad’s age it really isn’t going to work
Yeah man, I tried calling but their lines are busy?? They only do 28 days max as well.

Veygo don't have a phone number, they're Admiral's online only insurance.

Tried looking at comparison site's temporary insurance?
Original post by Milax1x
They’ll have more than a rough idea. The camera’s say the name and age of the person who’s insured so unless you look your dad’s age it really isn’t going to work

Hmmm, how about my older bro who's only 3 years older? I guess that would work lol.
Hmmm, how about my older bro who's only 3 years older? I guess that would work lol.

Until you’re asked to produce ID. Then you’ll get fined and points on your licence and your brother will have his car taken away and be fined then have to pay even more to recover the car
Reply 17

Stop considering driving without insurance...

Why would you even consider that? That's the reason young people in the UK have such a hefty insurance premium.
Original post by IWMTom
Stop considering driving without insurance...

Why would you even consider that? That's the reason young people in the UK have such a hefty insurance premium.

Alright alrightttt, I'll probably just consider it to a lesser extent but most likely I'll just bus it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending