Turn on thread page Beta

Debating Dr. Jordan Peterson - I have lost my faith in humanity watch

ReputationRep:
    I am doing some consulting work for a financial services firm. I was browsing their intranet and I saw an article about diversity and inclusion, solving the problem about lack of equality for women. I made a post on the forum stating the view of Dr. Peterson on this which I strongly believe:

1. That women have complete equality of opportunity.

2. That trying to go for equality of outcome is basically evil (lack of opportunity based on merit, and its oppression and force against people).

3. That there is no evidence that oppression and prejudice cause differences in group outcomes, and its down to group differences and preferences.

4. Organisations have bent over backwards to provide equal opportunities and are required to do so by law, and they do exactly that.

Post after post disagreed with me without tackling a single point I made. Eventually I became the pariah of the online discussion, the person that the whole non-issue needed to convert, the person with the antiquated bigoted views.

The Emperor has No Clothes.

Anyway, lots of posters seemed to get very triggered by what I wrote (let's call them "the left") and they responded not by debating any of the arguments I made but through smearing.

Eventually an HR and a "Diversity Officer" started posting on there saying something along the lines of "Any people that don't agree with the company values may need to take a long hard look at their chosen career path etc. etc. "

Another poster replied to that saying that it's a threat, why aren't people allowed opinions and that diversity officers are a joke, what happened to diversity of opinion.

The next post named a number of posters by name and said "We have received a number of complaints about your posts, people are being offended. We won't delete your posts but please consider this thread closed now. If you still need to discuss the issue please contact me directly."

Now why I lost my faith in humanity; because people are programmed towards a certain way of thinking. Often they are not bright enough to think outside of their box. That they will not actually engage on the points and instead trying form an Orwellian wall to stop debate. I used to have faith in humanity; I have slowly come to the realisation that its just a programmed non-conscious mass, that like robots chip away at things according to its software programming.

ReputationRep:
    So you lost faith just because you can’t handle opposing views? Wow, you are really weak willed you know that? Perhaps you should learn on how to be a stronger person if you are just gonna quit like that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProRoadman)
    So you lost faith just because you can’t handle opposing views? Wow, you are really weak willed you know that? Perhaps you should learn on how to be a stronger person if you are just gonna quit like that?
    No I lost my faith in humanity because it actually hit me like a ton of bricks - these peoples brainwashing means that they will / can never respond. It’s a very frightening prospect. I have not lost my faith in God or my family.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    i think you need to have a personal chat with the diversity officer so she may explain to you why they need employees that represent their values. otherwise, you're just going to be unhappy and unhappy and bitter employees often do stupid things. you don't want to lose your job i reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joleee)
    i think you need to have a personal chat with the diversity officer so she may explain to you why they need employees that represent their values. otherwise, you're just going to be unhappy and unhappy and bitter employees often do stupid things. you don't want to lose your job i reckon.
    Hmmm I don’t have a “job” there - I’m just on a short term assignment - I’m not precious about it either way.

This sort of thing is basically - if you don’t agree with us ideologically, then we may terminate you and facts don’t matter here.

It’s a bit like the USSR / Nazi Germany sending you to the Gulag except more soft totalitarianism.

I just see diversity officers like a Nazi officer.

I believe that God will make sure that they receive justice eventually, either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dualseveral)
    Hmmm I don’t have a “job” there - I’m just on a short term assignment - I’m not precious about it either way.

This sort of thing is basically - if you don’t agree with us ideologically, then we may terminate you and facts don’t matter here.

It’s a bit like the USSR / Nazi Germany sending you to the Gulag except more soft totalitarianism.

I just see diversity officers like a Nazi officer.
    i don't think they could legally terminate anyone for having an unpopular opinion, but if you were on temporary assignment or on probation the rules would be different. i think then they could let you go then without any explanation.

if you think companies don't expect their employees to uphold their values tho, you haven't been in the job force long enough. what do you think the interview process is about? to make sure you're a 'fit' for the company. it's not just about your experience, otherwise they would hire you on your CV alone.

ReputationRep:
    maybe speak to women in the industry instead of an idiot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joleee)
    i don't think they could legally terminate anyone for having an unpopular opinion, but if you were on temporary assignment or on probation the rules would be different. i think then they could let you go then without any explanation.

if you think companies don't expect their employees to uphold their values tho, you haven't been in the job force long enough. what do you think the interview process is about? to make sure you're a 'fit' for the company. it's not just about your experience, otherwise they would hire you on your CV alone.
    I’m older and more experienced than you think and no I have never adapted my views for a company and will never. I am freelance and they hire me for my views to define a new organisational Target Ops Model actually. I’m medium term and not part of the furniture and I always work like this. Like I said I am not precious about the assignment, it’s one fish in the sea. I am experienced enough to not think in terms of begging for a job. They call me, I don’t call them.

I am precious about the principles involved. It’s outrageous that it’s become acceptable to stop peoples views. It makes we think we need nothing short of a political revolution in this country.

It’s a very important thing. These people are compulsive liars.

ReputationRep:
    The more pertinent question is why would someone doing consulting work for financial services set up an account on a student forum to have a whine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfolobus)
    The more pertinent question is why would someone doing consulting work for financial services set up an account on a student forum to have a whine?
    That’s my business and my choice. I’m not breaking any laws. Am I? And I’m testing your sense of objective reality.

ReputationRep:
    That’s my business and my choice. I’m not breaking any laws.
    Ah, I just assumed a person in your position would have a partner, friend or colleague to discuss this with. Obviously my assumption was incorrect. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfolobus)
    Ah, I just assumed a person in your position would have a partner, friend or colleague to discuss this with. Obviously my assumption was incorrect. My bad.
    I’ve discussed it with my partner. And I still feel a need to put this on the Internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    This reminds me of the lobster who set up a peterson discusion group where a Marxist was routinly turning up and owning him in debate and winning the other members over :rofl:
    Something very wrong here - very wrong. It’s like people who disagree don’t listen.

I don’t know about the panel you are taking about and many this is the case or maybe that is the case (I am now very dubious about anything that “the left” relay).

Anyway the point is I told you that in MY case, the people in the online forum and so called “diversity office” didn’t actually discuss a single point I raised. I made this clear to you but you compare it so some apparently brilliant debate. And gloatingly.

See why there is something very sinister and very wrong going on. It’s like some kind of virus.

ReputationRep:
    "Diversity officer" Christ, what utter garbage

ReputationRep:
    Something very wrong here - very wrong. It’s like people who disagree don’t listen.

I don’t know about the panel you are taking about and many this is the case or maybe that is the case (I am now very dubious about anything that “the left” relay).

Anyway the point is I told you that in MY case, the people in the online forum and so called “diversity office” didn’t actually discuss a single point I raised. I made this clear to you but you compare it so some apparently brilliant debate. And gloatingly.

See why there is something very sinister and very wrong going on. It’s like some kind of virus.
    I think you misunderstand what a firm is. If you do not fit with thier value system you are free to look for work else where. It is not a democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    It’s code language for what the Soviets called “Political Officer” in Hunt for Red October. (might before before your time).

ReputationRep:
    I hope your future HR officer is a trans woman :rofl:

It’s code language for what the Soviets called “Political Officer” in Hunt for Red October. (might before before your time).
    Cultural Marxism is not real.

Next you are going to be comparing a lack of engagement on a forum as being as bad as being sent to a gulag.

ReputationRep:
    I know, it is literally madness, my faith in humanity was lost a while ago, but from that lack of faith you gain a new faith.

Hunt for Red October is a great film but does not even capture the nightmare that we live in

ReputationRep:
    I’m older and more experienced than you think and no I have never adapted my views for a company and will never. I am freelance and they hire me for my views to define a new organisational Target Ops Model actually. I’m medium term and not part of the furniture and I always work like this. Like I said I am not precious about the assignment, it’s one fish in the sea. I am experienced enough to not think in terms of begging for a job. They call me, I don’t call them.

I am precious about the principles involved. It’s outrageous that it’s become acceptable to stop peoples views. It makes we think we need nothing short of a political revolution in this country.

It’s a very important thing. These people are compulsive liars.
    maybe it wasn't what you were saying, but how you were saying it. people will generally listen to views and not be offended, but only if said views are presented logically and with good reason. were you combative at all? could they sense you were angry?

ReputationRep:
    I know, it is literally madness, my faith in humanity was lost a while ago, but from that lack of faith you gain a new faith.

Hunt for Red October is a great film but does not even capture the nightmare that we live in
    Why is everyone else not waking up to the nightmare that we are in?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.