ines22xox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Over the summer holidays we need to conduct a psychology investigation, it can be with questionnaires/interviews or a true experiment. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hypothesis to investigate? I'm struggling to think of one that could be well designed (minimal extraneous variables and can't be a sensitive topic). I was thinking of a questionnaire to find the motivations behind lying, but I'm not sure how I would design this?
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That seems like quite a broad research question. I'd recommend searching online for documented questionnaires on constructs you find interesting to see how they are constructed (and perhaps look for examples to use).

To go with the topic of lying, if you were to construct your own questionnaire, you could for example, create a series of scenarios where a character lies and the participant judges how acceptable the lie was (thereby measuring "acceptability of lying" in different scenarios). With this, you could investigate the impact of the different scenarios on how likely people are to think it's acceptable...or perhaps use an overall 'score' to see if there is a correlation between how tolerant of lying participants are, and how they score on another questionnaire (e.g. a personality scale, self-esteem, anxiety, etc)
ines22xox
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Magdatrix >_<)
That seems like quite a broad research question. I'd recommend searching online for documented questionnaires on constructs you find interesting to see how they are constructed (and perhaps look for examples to use).

To go with the topic of lying, if you were to construct your own questionnaire, you could for example, create a series of scenarios where a character lies and the participant judges how acceptable the lie was (thereby measuring "acceptability of lying" in different scenarios). With this, you could investigate the impact of the different scenarios on how likely people are to think it's acceptable...or perhaps use an overall 'score' to see if there is a correlation between how tolerant of lying participants are, and how they score on another questionnaire (e.g. a personality scale, self-esteem, anxiety, etc)
Correlating the tolerance of lying to another characteristic is such a good idea, thank you!
flipper1r
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A fairly simple experiment would just be a questionnaire asking how likely they would be to lie in a situation. You could then see if their answers correlate with age, gender etc. and you can see if there is a relationship or not.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ines22xox)
Over the summer holidays we need to conduct a psychology investigation, it can be with questionnaires/interviews or a true experiment. Does anyone have any suggestions for a hypothesis to investigate? I'm struggling to think of one that could be well designed (minimal extraneous variables and can't be a sensitive topic). I was thinking of a questionnaire to find the motivations behind lying, but I'm not sure how I would design this?
Best thing to start with is to look at existing psychological articles on lying and that will give you not only ideas, but information on how to go about conducting an experiment or questionnaire on that topic and you will be basing it on previous literature and so filling the gaps.
With a questionnaire you should be aware of social desirability bias. People will likely not wish to admit that they lie or that they would be willing to lie quite considerably in certain scenarios - they will want to appear like decent people in their answers and won't always answer honestly so you need to adapt your questionnaire to minimise this or use deception.
Milax1x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You can’t research sensitive topics? That’s dumb.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Milax1x)
You can’t research sensitive topics? That’s dumb.
It's challenging but it's not impossible and it's still researched. You just have to design an experiment that is ethical, avoids inappropriate questions and response biases. Lying is not the most sensitive topic out there either. I think it would be an interesting experiment.
Sycaphore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
To add to the ideas already said, and with reference to the original post, you could add a question regarding why they thought the person lied.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.46%

Watched Threads