Southampton Medicine Entry 2019 Watch

GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Antibiotics)
Hey, I heard because they have a set quota for grads on the five year course that statistically it’s actually more competitive. But don’t quote me, just off the grapevine!
This is the only info I have, which is for 2016 entry
Graduates applying to the 5 year course
No. of places: 20
No. of applicants: 363
Lowest UKCAT interviewed: 2770 (total)
No. of interviews: 48
No. of offers: 20
Applicants per offer: 18

So yeah, pretty compeetitive, and not that many places, but a UKCAT that is not dreadful by GEM standards, at least! Still maybe not the top of the list for a 5 year course for grads!!
Antibiotics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)

So yeah, pretty compeetitive, and not that many places, but a UKCAT that is not dreadful by GEM standards, at least! Still maybe not the top of the list for a 5 year course for grads!!
Thanks for this, thought I was turning senile! Although I suppose with such a high volume of grads applying to an a100 course the UKCAT cut off must fluctuate a lot. Probably a bit risky for OP!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
charlyt123
Badges: 6
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for this, thought I was turning senile! Although I suppose with such a high volume of grads applying to an a100 course the UKCAT cut off must fluctuate a lot. Probably a bit risky for OP!
thanks again guys! yea dont think its worth the risk! now to pick between sheffield and oxford ....:eek:
RickHendricks
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by GANFYD)

Can I apply to southampton with ukcat of 2830, sjt band 3, 4 A*, 6 A at GCSE, and A*AA predictions? (undergrad btw)
Antibiotics
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by charlyt123)
thanks again guys! yea dont think its worth the risk! now to pick between sheffield and oxford ....:eek:
You’re in with a good chance at Birmingham GEM, too, if you have decent ish a levels. They recognise firsts very well! (Congrats on a great degree). You have lots of undergrad options too. I also think you could try Warwick!
charlyt123
Report 3 months ago
You’re in with a good chance at Birmingham GEM, too, if you have decent ish a levels. They recognise firsts very well! (Congrats on a great degree). You have lots of undergrad options too. I also think you could try Warwick!
I did the IB and got i guess ABB equivalent so not amazing haha i was a late bloomer! im a low 1st so not sure if its as much of an advantage? and yea im applying to 3 undergrads (BSMS, Keele, Manchester) and hopefully will pick my 4th one today!
Antibiotics
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by charlyt123)
I did the IB and got i guess ABB equivalent so not amazing haha i was a late bloomer! im a low 1st so not sure if its as much of an advantage? and yea im applying to 3 undergrads (BSMS, Keele, Manchester) and hopefully will pick my 4th one today!
I don’t know much about Birmingham as it was off the cards for me but I think that might be good enough if you have a first for GEM? I think it just counts as a first so try ringing them up!

i also think you’d have a shot with oxford or Warwick a101- you did well to get a first and definitely should try maybe two GEMs!

PS I made the mistake of applying to three undergrads last year and sorely regret it!
Last edited by Antibiotics; 3 months ago
Jurdon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by meddad)
According to a response to a Freedom of Information request I received today, their 2018 cut off was 645 for standard applications without contextual data. I believe it has been nearer 667 in the past, but with UKCAT scores drifting down this year on preliminary results your score looks safe.
Hi,
Where did you find this information on the UKCAT entry requirements for Southampton from the Freedom of Information?
Thanks.
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jurdon)
Hi,
Where did you find this information on the UKCAT entry requirements for Southampton from the Freedom of Information?
Thanks.
I raised a FOI request and that's the response I got back. It's not published anywhere.
RGaya3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
What is an FOI?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by RGaya3)
What is an FOI?
Freedom of information
RGaya3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Ya but how do u access it ?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Google it?
There is a whole website of FOI requests and responses
hipeeps786
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
was the response for undergraduate entry, so 645 average was the cut off for an interview last year
Antibiotics
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hipeeps786)
was the response for undergraduate entry, so 645 average was the cut off for an interview last year
Not for grads
rashist24
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
how much do they look at gcses? I got a 670 in my UKCAT but only 2A*S at gcse and A*AA in my predictions- do I still have a shot at Southampton
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by rashist24)
how much do they look at gcses? I got a 670 in my UKCAT but only 2A*S at gcse and A*AA in my predictions- do I still have a shot at Southampton
Southampton state they require:
"Please read this section in conjunction with our How to apply and Entry requirements pages - six GCSEs at grade A or above, including either maths, biology and chemistry, or maths, additional science and science. English language is required at a minimum of grade B."
Kb3611
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by meddad)
I raised a FOI request and that's the response I got back. It's not published anywhere.
was this cut off last year for undergraduate entry?
meddad
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Kb3611)
was this cut off last year for undergraduate entry?
Yes, undergrad standard application with no contextual circumstances
Sella
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Is anyone attended Southampton Open day?
I have a question regarding Medicine selection process. Do they offer places purely based on selection day / interview outcome or both Interview and Academic / Non-Academic achievements?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%