UKCAT/Medicine advice please? Watch

Anna361
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi guys, hope you're all good! Bit of a weird one, I was doing a pharmacy degree last year but dropped out in the first year to pursue medicine instead. Now I am working as an HCA in a hospital for the experience while I get together a med school application but I am really struggling with my prep for the UKCAT - I'm just wandering what counts as a good enough score and what universities weigh UKCAT less heavily? I have 3 A*s at A Level which I was hoping would help my application but I really don't seem to be improving much on the UKCAT, any advice you guys have would be amazing whether it be on UKCAT or anything medicine application related! Thank you
shunoai95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hello,

Kudos to you - that's a big decision you've made!

In terms of UKCAT, it depends on where you want to apply as different unis tend to weigh your UKCAT score differently - e.g. (when I was applying), Kings and Newcastle I think looked at UKCAT quite a lot and I think some unis have a cut-off score for the UKCAT to be shortlisted for interview - check and check your desired university's website to see how they weigh all the different aspects of your application.

With that all said, I think an average score of 670-700? Would be more than enough (my opinion entirely...) for you to be considered for a lot of medical schools!

In terms of preparation, I personally used Medify and the UKCAT official website for timed tests and just online preparation, and I used a little of the iscmedical one, as I think the iscmedical questions are a LOT harder than the actual exam.
Try and save the timed tests for when you're near the exam, like a week? and just until then do loads of questions - I personally got 775 when I took the UKCAT through these materials! (Even though I chose to a BMAT uni, but still haha)

Best of luck!
Anna361
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Thank you! This is really helpful ! ☺ I will definitely check out the resources you suggested they sound like just what I need
hopefulmedic234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
If you have any specific questions regarding the UKCAT or the medicine application process, just send me a PM (I went through it twice so I know a fair bit about applying and making the most of your application)
castletower
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
The best thing if you're unsure about specific unis is to phone them up and ask admissions tutors about it. You're allowed to call and ask to speak to medical school advisors specifically and insist that it's important.

In terms of UKCAT - practice, practice, practice. But make sure you have all the correct the techniques as well. Some people hire tutors for some personalised help with UKCAT. I've found a really good course which is run by some fabulous people who helped me get my offers at interview this past year - probably the best around and very budget friendly as well at £99 for an intensive UKCAT+personal statement class. Check it out here and PM me for a £10 discount code.

https://www.facebook.com/MedicHut.HQ/
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anna361)
Hi guys, hope you're all good! Bit of a weird one, I was doing a pharmacy degree last year but dropped out in the first year to pursue medicine instead. Now I am working as an HCA in a hospital for the experience while I get together a med school application but I am really struggling with my prep for the UKCAT - I'm just wandering what counts as a good enough score and what universities weigh UKCAT less heavily? I have 3 A*s at A Level which I was hoping would help my application but I really don't seem to be improving much on the UKCAT, any advice you guys have would be amazing whether it be on UKCAT or anything medicine application related! Thank you
A good score would be over 650, and excellent score over 700.
Unis that use the UKCAT least are Cardiff (score on GCSEs and achieved A levels, so your achieved results would stand you in good stead); Exeter, as they use A level grades and A*A*A* achieved puts you in the top tier, all of whom have been interviewed in the last 2 years; Leicester are this year stating "Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA at A
level in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs, AND have a total UKCAT score in the top 7 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you to interview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school", which means there is not a high score needed in the UKCAT; Plymouth rank on UKCAT, but have had a low threshold recently; dependent on GCSE results, HYMS have traditionally needed a lower UKCAT (balanced by high GCSEs and a good SJT score); QUB and Birmingham both place a lower weight on UKCAT and it is possible to gain an interview with a low score if you have excellent GCSEs; Keele uses their version of your PS to rank for interview.
Hope that helps
vvpr1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
hey guys, for my UKCAT I got 783 average and band 1 situational judgement. I'm selling my old UKCAT books so PM me if you're interested in the books
medicinemaniac
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by vvpr1)
hey guys, for my UKCAT I got 783 average and band 1 situational judgement. I'm selling my old UKCAT books so PM me if you're interested in the books
that is SO good, well done! do you have any advice/tips, i really want a good ukcat score 700+, im currently using medify and have been 10 days, my UKCAT is booked for the 30th August. Do you have tips/advice on each section and maybe the actual test on the day please?
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.77%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
15.17%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.05%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.82%

Watched Threads