Please tell me about AQA A-level Biology Watch

katekkate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi,

I'm starting a-levels in September and, as the tile suggests, I'm doing AQA Biology.

I've heard it's very intense in the sense of how much content there is (as opposed to the content itself).

Could anyone who has experience of Biology A-level, AQA in particular, please tell me about the course and how you found it - I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thank you so much.
Nuttyy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You'll spend 2 years learning the content inside out, till you can recite the textbook. Only to find out in the exam that they ask about 1% of the content and the rest is retarded application questions. You'll like the subject, but hate the exams (which is what inevitably matter).
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
yeahthatonethere
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I've just finished A Level Biology (AQA) and as the person above said you will spend your whole two years learning a tonne of content only for a small amount of it to be asked across the 3 papers, most of it being application and graph interpretation. It does suck but the actual content you do learn (for the most part) is interesting! You also get asked a set amount of maths in biology. This includes gcse maths like percentage change, rate, graph interpretation, etc. but also maths just for biology A Level including magnification and Hardy weinberg. Don't stress if maths isn't your strong point though! You can definitely still get high grades even if you get all the maths wrong, AQA Biology tends to have very low grade boundaries.
At the end of paper 3 in your second year you will also get a 25 mark essay. Really don't worry about this though! I'm just letting you know as I wasn't aware of it until near the end of my second year and would like to have known earlier. You basically get the choice of two essay titles and have to write about 5 paragraphs covering related topics from across the course. It takes it bit of getting used to but once you've practice you should be fine!
Yes there is a lot of content but as long as you revise from the start and make revision resources for yourself instead of cramming at the end you should do fine. If needs be I do have some typed up notes on AQA Biology I could share with you as I found the textbook to be too full of useless text however I don't yet know what grade I've gotten so I can't tell you what grade of notes they are!
Hope I've helped and anymore questions just ask.
katekkate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by yeahthatonethere)
I've just finished A Level Biology (AQA) and as the person above said you will spend your whole two years learning a tonne of content only for a small amount of it to be asked across the 3 papers, most of it being application and graph interpretation. It does suck but the actual content you do learn (for the most part) is interesting! You also get asked a set amount of maths in biology. This includes gcse maths like percentage change, rate, graph interpretation, etc. but also maths just for biology A Level including magnification and Hardy weinberg. Don't stress if maths isn't your strong point though! You can definitely still get high grades even if you get all the maths wrong, AQA Biology tends to have very low grade boundaries.
At the end of paper 3 in your second year you will also get a 25 mark essay. Really don't worry about this though! I'm just letting you know as I wasn't aware of it until near the end of my second year and would like to have known earlier. You basically get the choice of two essay titles and have to write about 5 paragraphs covering related topics from across the course. It takes it bit of getting used to but once you've practice you should be fine!
Yes there is a lot of content but as long as you revise from the start and make revision resources for yourself instead of cramming at the end you should do fine. If needs be I do have some typed up notes on AQA Biology I could share with you as I found the textbook to be too full of useless text however I don't yet know what grade I've gotten so I can't tell you what grade of notes they are!
Hope I've helped and anymore questions just ask.
Thank you so much, your reply has really enlightened me on how the course/exam really is. Thank you also for the advice! I hope you get the grade you are hoping for in August x
Satori Tendō
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Too much maths and graphs. The exam questions do their best to try and hide the topic area they are asking you about. They also asked us weird trippy stuff like why do yeast cells die in the death phase?
Also, I dont know if you know this but the 3rd paper has a 25 mark essay as a last question. Teachers always hide it until right at the end for some reason. I'd have liked to practice essay skills earlier. In order to get higher marks on it, you need to have further knowledge beyond the specification
I'd suggest to you, as you learn the content try and research something that relates to it in real life or something interesting that isn't a requirement to know in the textbook. In the essay, these little bits and pieces will help and seduce the examiner
Anonymouspsych
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by katekkate)
Hi,

I'm starting a-levels in September and, as the tile suggests, I'm doing AQA Biology.

I've heard it's very intense in the sense of how much content there is (as opposed to the content itself).

Could anyone who has experience of Biology A-level, AQA in particular, please tell me about the course and how you found it - I'd appreciate it greatly.

Thank you so much.
**** ton of content ngl. The exams are hard, hence the grade boundaries.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads