Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I just recently received my exam results back for my 2nd year at uni and I failed in one module and passed the rest, and now I have to resit the failed module in August and pass it so I can move on to the my 3rd year. I understand all this, that's all fine - bit nervous, annoyed and anxious about it but it's understandable.

Now when I spoke to my tutor and head of department about how and why I failed it, they said it was mostly down to my attendance because I didn't attend any of the lectures and only went to a few workshops - but I went to all the lectures and workshops for the first half of the module (which is split in two halves) just didn't go to any for the second half of the module.

Here's the thing I don't understand at all, the head of department and my tutors all say that if I attended it would have improved my grade a whole lot more and wouldn't have failed however, in one of the other modules that I PASSED I didn't go to a single lecture or workshop for the entire module and yet I passed!! So how I ask you does attendance help you pass? Because I managed to pass a module without going to any lectures or workshops.

Could someone please explain how this works because, I think that blaming my failure on my attendance is ridiculous! By the way I really hope I'm not the only person who thinks that it's ridiculous and if I am then I feel like a complete idiot/plonker (see no evil monkey emoji)

(Sorry this is sooooo long)

ReputationRep:
    Instead of thinking about why they believe you failed, think yourself about why you failed, and improve on this for your resit.
    I honestly get nothing out of attending lectures, I much prefer to just listen to lecture capture at home. Did you at least do that? There's a lot of information in lectures that doesn't appear on the lecture slides, so you need to make notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mysterygirl96)
    So, I just recently received my exam results back for my 2nd year at uni and I failed in one module and passed the rest, and now I have to resit the failed module in August and pass it so I can move on to the my 3rd year. I understand all this, that's all fine - bit nervous, annoyed and anxious about it but it's understandable.

Now when I spoke to my tutor and head of department about how and why I failed it, they said it was mostly down to my attendance because I didn't attend any of the lectures and only went to a few workshops - but I went to all the lectures and workshops for the first half of the module (which is split in two halves) just didn't go to any for the second half of the module.

Here's the thing I don't understand at all, the head of department and my tutors all say that if I attended it would have improved my grade a whole lot more and wouldn't have failed however, in one of the other modules that I PASSED I didn't go to a single lecture or workshop for the entire module and yet I passed!! So how I ask you does attendance help you pass? Because I managed to pass a module without going to any lectures or workshops.

Could someone please explain how this works because, I think that blaming my failure on my attendance is ridiculous! By the way I really hope I'm not the only person who thinks that it's ridiculous and if I am then I feel like a complete idiot/plonker (see no evil monkey emoji)

Is attendance apart of your grade for that module? If not its completely unacceptable. I had less than 30% lecture attendance for my module that had no attendance component and passed that one with a first so i don't know why its affecting your grade.

What is your universities policy on attendance? At mine it is miss 3 seminars and you get disciplinary meeting and miss 5 seminars and you fail the module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aranos)
    Instead of thinking about why they believe you failed, think yourself about why you failed, and improve on this for your resit.
    I honestly get nothing out of attending lectures, I much prefer to just listen to lecture capture at home. Did you at least do that? There's a lot of information in lectures that doesn't appear on the lecture slides, so you need to make notes.
    Yeah, I do that for some lectures and some I don't. I mostly prefer to just capture away from the lectures, as some lecture slides I can understand without going to the lecture itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BR260799)
    Is attendance apart of your grade for that module? If not its completely unacceptable. I had less than 30% lecture attendance for my module that had no attendance component and passed that one with a first so i don't know why its affecting your grade.

What is your universities policy on attendance? At mine it is miss 3 seminars and you get disciplinary meeting and miss 5 seminars and you fail the module.
    No it's not part of my grade! Attendance is only apart of my grade for one of the modules that I passed!

I think my university policy is similar to yours but not sure about the "miss 5 seminars and you fail the module" part because I missed more than 5 seminars in my other module and passed it so I don't know why it applies to this one stupidly annoying module!

ReputationRep:
    No it's not part of my grade! Attendance is only apart of my grade for one of the modules that I passed!

I think my university policy is similar to yours but not sure about the "miss 5 seminars and you fail the module" part because I missed more than 5 seminars in my other module and passed it so I don't know why it applies to this one stupidly annoying module!
    This is so bizarre, i think you should contact your head of department and find out whats going on - surely you can't fail on attendance.

Whats the subject by the way?

ReputationRep:
    This is so bizarre, i think you should contact your head of department and find out whats going on - surely you can't fail on attendance.

When I ask my head of department she says it's because of my attendance but when I ask my tutor/lecturer, he says it's because I didn't understand the module properly, even though I thought I did enough in the exam (which wasn't a great paper and didn't go too well) to at least pass, I knew that I wouldn't get an amazing grade in this module but I thought or at least hoped I would have passed it. Also my head of department also blames my failure on not completing a test as part of my coursework which was only 20% of my module, the exam was worth a whole lot more (60%) therefore even if I did do the test and got a poor grade it shouldn't have affected my overall module grade right? Shouldn't the grade I received in the exam be the grade that affects me more?

The module that I failed in is called MKTG210: Marketing Research

ReputationRep:
    Since you've got all of your marks back now you should be able to see on your interactive transcript exactly what make should got for each component of the module.

A 0 on 20% of a module definitely isn't going to help. You're right that a 60% exam will have a bigger effect, buy if you didn't do well in that either then it wont have helped.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    When I ask my head of department she says it's because of my attendance but when I ask my tutor/lecturer, he says it's because I didn't understand the module properly, even though I thought I did enough in the exam (which wasn't a great paper and didn't go too well) to at least pass, I knew that I wouldn't get an amazing grade in this module but I thought or at least hoped I would have passed it. Also my head of department also blames my failure on not completing a test as part of my coursework which was only 20% of my module, the exam was worth a whole lot more (60%) therefore even if I did do the test and got a poor grade it shouldn't have affected my overall module grade right? Shouldn't the grade I received in the exam be the grade that affects me more?

It’s likely you needed a minimum % pass in that test to pass the module.

ReputationRep:

Sounds to me more like they're saying that if OP had gone to lectures she would have understood more material and done better on the exam and therefore might have passed, rather than failing her for poor attendance.

ReputationRep:

What did you get on the remaining 20% of the module?

ReputationRep:
    What did you get on the remaining 20% of the module?
    60% or B-

ReputationRep:
    60% or B-
    With 20% on 0 and 20% on 60 you needed 47% on the exam to pass. What's your mark on the interactive transcript?

ReputationRep:
    With 20% on 0 and 20% on 60 you needed 47% on the exam to pass. What's your mark on the interactive transcript?
    Ahh.......I got less than that on the exam (see no evil monkey emoji)

ReputationRep:
    Ahh.......I got less than that on the exam (see no evil monkey emoji)
    Ahh that sucks good luck with your resit

ReputationRep:
    bro they don't wanna tell you why you failed so they just blame it on your attendance

it's quite the idiotic move but this is life, sadly

good luck on your resit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTroll73)
    bro they don't wanna tell you why you failed so they just blame it on your attendance

it's quite the idiotic move but this is life, sadly

good luck on your resit!
    That's a load of rubbish. The department can never know why someone fails, that can be becasue of so many factors, many of them out of their control.

All they can do is guess based on the information they have, one of which is attendance. If someone went to less than 50% of lectures that's a good indicator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe1000000)
    That's a load of rubbish. The department can never know why someone fails, that can be becasue of so many factors, many of them out of their control.

All they can do is guess based on the information they have, one of which is attendance. If someone went to less than 50% of lectures that's a good indicator.
    apparently I shouldn't wish anyone luck because it's "rubbish"

Next time please just state that I meant that they don't know why OP failed so they have blamed OP's attendance rate for failing

Apologies if this sounded harsh

ReputationRep:

I am a Master Student at Derby university. On this course of study, we are told there has to be a minimum of 70% attendance. It is possible that some verbal clues in the sessions were given and it's not something that you're able to acquire from books. There has to be a minimum amount of students in a classroom to be able to open a class in the first place (University after all is a business organisation, before an educational establishment). Also the cost of the lecturers wage has to be considered e.g a lecturer wouldn't need to be hired if a class wasn't opened or a module didn't need to be taught ....all this stems from Student attainment (your attendance).

It's possible you have missed something verbal, or because the assignment was organised in such a particular way, maybe it is that tutors personal preference on how they like something to be set out, which has no doubt worked for them in previous years e.g observational element? Key words? Structure of assessment or course work? (which impacts on marking and assessment).

There are lots of rules to assessment therefore it's possible that participation does count in the classroom and towards your finalised grade (My course required at least 13% student participation in class).

Just a thought.....but I absolutely get your frustration.

ReputationRep:
    ngl marketing is probably the easiest degree offered at lancaster univeristy

Pretty sure also your attendance is not part of your mark?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.