Turn on thread page Beta

Is it ok to have online friends and is it dangerous watch

ReputationRep:
    So I used to be friends with someone we met on some forum. we started off using text chat to talk to each other but then moved onto video chatting once we were comfortable with each other. Turns out we both had told the truth about our appearance. We eventually lost contact since my Skype account which was the only way we could talk to each other got lost as in someone had changed my password and I couldn’t get in. But anyway everyone said to me how dangerous it was and that even though I was video chatting with her somehow she could still be a 45 year old predator who was dressing up like a girl. Because of this I haven’t spoken to new people online since. But is it really as dangerous as everyone says
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    no. it's not as dangerous as some people say
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It depends how you use discussion and online chat sites. If its in an effort to help others or find new friends, watch your back. Never, ever, arrange to meet someone you met online. I personally never would, even if they invited me. With things that have happened in the past like suicides and criminal things, yes, the Internet still is dangerous and just because people experience it differently doesn't decrease or increase how dangerous it is and how reliant today's generation have become on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShantelleLuis)
    It depends how you use discussion and online chat sites. If its in an effort to help others or find new friends, watch your back. Never, ever, arrange to meet someone you met online. I personally never would, even if they invited me. With things that have happened in the past like suicides and criminal things, yes, the Internet still is dangerous and just because people experience it differently doesn't decrease or increase how dangerous it is and how reliant today's generation have become on it.
    See I don’t 100% understand the never meet someone you met online. I mean if you talked for a hour to 3 hours a day every day of the year for 2 years through video chat and then met in Starbucks then surely that’s not gonna have you kidnapped and murdered

ReputationRep:
    No way it’s not dangerous don’t believe in rubbish you hear. I have met thousands of people and they’ve become my soul since I have disabilities and health conditions, they’ve been there for me when friends in my real life haven’t. I have called them when I have felt really depressed, angry or upset and they’ve helped me though bad times.

Whereas my friends in real life have treated me like dogs ****. I feel I can open up to online friends more and now they text me call me and we are more like real friends.
    So what are you waiting for?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Studentboy783)
    See I don’t 100% understand the never meet someone you met online. I mean if you talked for a hour to 3 hours a day every day of the year for 2 years through video chat and then met in Starbucks then surely that’s not gonna have you kidnapped and murdered
    Exactly, if it were someone's house or if they insisted on changing the location then that would be weird. There are definitely people on here who I would meet.

ReputationRep:
    Especially if you’ve known them since 2007

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeddyBear86)
    No way it’s not dangerous don’t believe in rubbish you hear. I have met thousands of people and they’ve become my soul since I have disabilities and health conditions, they’ve been there for me when friends in my real life haven’t. I have called them when I have felt really depressed, angry or upset and they’ve helped me though bad times.

Whereas my friends in real life have treated me like dogs ****. I feel I can open up to online friends more and now they text me call me and we are more like real friends.
    So what are you waiting for?
    A source to do it with. I mean where can people make online friends. Facebook is out of the picture and so is Instagram. Also my Twitter is a mess so that’s out as well

ReputationRep:
    So I used to be friends with someone we met on some forum. we started off using text chat to talk to each other but then moved onto video chatting once we were comfortable with each other. Turns out we both had told the truth about our appearance. We eventually lost contact since my Skype account which was the only way we could talk to each other got lost as in someone had changed my password and I couldn’t get in. But anyway everyone said to me how dangerous it was and that even though I was video chatting with her somehow she could still be a 45 year old predator who was dressing up like a girl. Because of this I haven’t spoken to new people online since. But is it really as dangerous as everyone says
    No. Just don't meet them in real life. If you do decide to see each other face to face then do it in a public place and not at night.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    yeah, perfectly fine to have online friends. i've some internet friends that i've known for over 2 years so i've pretty much shared a small portion of my life with them and as long as you're careful about the info you share, it's fine. i'd be up for meeting my internet friends (i've video called them often) but most of them live really far away from me or in other countries so no chance of that happening right now:unsure:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    True true. I guess when it comes to it, that's alright and I may have been over-expressive. But don't quote me if anything happens.. please. I'm worried for these people, and for myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShantelleLuis)
    True true. I guess when it comes to it, that's alright and I may have been over-expressive. But don't quote me if anything happens.. please. I'm worried for these people, and for myself.
    By the time I met someone who I knew online I would have forgotten this forum existed so don’t worry there’s next to no chance of you being quoted by me

ReputationRep:
    Always be SUPER careful when taking to people online. You never know who they could really be. HOWEVER, I ‘work’ on a website where we all go through checks etc and we all decided to meet up in the middle of all of us in a big city. I had video chatted and knew we had all be checked, but I made sure I was able to leave if anything was amiss and that we met in a fairly crowded place. There were 12 of us going which was a bit better than 1 on 1 and I had an amazing weekend and have been to visit most of them individually now and i am really great friends with them. Just make sure you take proper precautions and you will be fine <3

ReputationRep:
    it can be but it depends how you take it. i mean i've been friends with some of my online friends for 4-5 years. i've met a couple on skype and my sister has met up with a few offline. personally i believe if you were to meet up with someone it should be with a friend irl accompanying/watching out nearby or you should do it in a public place typically crowded.

as for the years thing you'll be surprised. i've had my share of bad experiences with adults online who i thought were kids for months because of how sneaky they were. it's very easy to trick and manipulate others.

you have to keep that balance though. never forget to keep your guard up because online is different to offline. just be careful how much information you provide the other person
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It can be dangerous sometimes and there certainly are some weird people and creeps out there in the online world! But generally most of my experiences of giving people my phone number or Facebook have been overwhelmingly positive - I can count the times I've regretted that on less than one hand! Have lots of TSR people on my Facebook and on my phone, for example :yep:

That said, I tend to be very cagey about giving out my postal address :ninja:
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Yes very dangerous, you never know who is actually a typing guinea pig
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CoolCavy)
    Yes very dangerous, you never know who is actually a typing guinea pig
    Actual lol :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I have a gaming community that I've known for years, and we have met up several times for holidays and such. For us where we met is not important any more. However, caution, of course, is recommended for any such events. I would arrange our meetups with public events, like a gaming convention and making sure everyone was happy that they felt safe. I also had a strict 18+ rule for everyone.

An example I'd give is dating apps these days which are trusted more than forum groups on the internet. There's a certain stigma attached to meeting people over the internet.

ReputationRep:
    ive dabbled with online friends on previous forums. basically just meet folk u think ur realistically gonna get on with and certain they are real i.e. skype. i had about 10 online friends in group chat for a while never intended to meet them cos most wouldnt work out or live abroad. then i studied abroad and also worked abroad and i ended up meeting 4 of them. yeah 2 went well 1 not so much and the other yes to a point i.e. we got on well then fell out lol

in truth yeah it was nice meeting online friends and chatting and then meeting irl. but overall id say it probably did as much harm as good. why cos in my experience it consumed a lot of time just chatting away on group chats at the time was like were not gonna meet so whats the point in this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyasdfghzxcv)
    why cos in my experience it consumed a lot of time just chatting away on group chats at the time was like were not gonna meet so whats the point in this
    That's a very nihilistic viewpoint there. Sometimes it's just to have someone to discuss a topic about. There's a certain benefit to having a simple bond with someone that you can be open and honest to with no attachments to your local life.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.