The Student Room Group

Ask a Current Design Student Anything!

Hello :hello:
i am a current product design student who has just finished year one and am now moving into year 2 of my degree, feel free to AMA if you have any questions about studying design at degree level!* :smile:
*please dont ask which university - for the sake of anonymity i dont wish to answer that. Additionally comments about 'mickey mouse' degrees will be ignored, just consider who designs the products you are typing from before you post such comments.

Fire away :h:
(edited 5 years ago)
:bump:
How do you get assessed?
Original post by Idontknow77
How do you get assessed?

Good question
For my course it's 100% coursework. We have 3 modules and for 2 of the modules this year we were required to produce portfolios which were then marked and this went towards our end of year grade. For the 3rd module because it's quite a businessy module we were required to produce 3 design reports which were then marked and again this went towards our final mark. As different years have different modules the type of work each module requires might change but it will always be coursework. For 1st year the cumulative marks from the 3 modules are just given as a pass or fail (this is to encourage us to not fixate on marks but to experiment and make mistakes whilst we can). The other years will have the traditional university grading and works in the same way as other unis (2nd and 3rd year being the years that count).
Am not sure about other universities, i believe some do exams rather like how A-level product design works (a mix of CW and exams) but i cant really talk about that from experience

hope that helps :smile:
Amazing thread.:biggrin:

You can find loads of more threads like right HERE.:yay:

Meanwhile, I have a question for Cavy: what's your most favourite, and least favourite things about your course?:holmes:

Spoiler

Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Amazing thread.:biggrin:

You can find loads of more threads like right HERE.:yay:

Meanwhile, I have a question for Cavy: what's your most favourite, and least favourite things about your course?:holmes:

Spoiler

:hugs:

Favourite would be learning to draw with promarkers and just the hand drawn elements, have enjoyed learning solidworks and all the cool software (although i found it really difficult!).
Worst has to be the business lectures :laugh: is like watching paint dry, i do try to be engaged but is hard to be interested in financial graphs and whatnot :lol:
Original post by CoolCavy
:hugs:

Favourite would be learning to draw with promarkers and just the hand drawn elements, have enjoyed learning solidworks and all the cool software (although i found it really difficult!).
Worst has to be the business lectures :laugh: is like watching paint dry, i do try to be engaged but is hard to be interested in financial graphs and whatnot :lol:

:jumphug:

that sounds so cool omg you're such a pro :daydreaming:

oh wow :s-smilie: haha I'd love to see your "Pretend to be interested" acting :rofl:
Hello :hello:
i am a current product design student who has just finished year one and am now moving into year 2 of my degree, feel free to AMA if you have any questions about studying design at degree level!* :smile:
*please dont ask which university - for the sake of anonymity i dont wish to answer that. Additionally comments about 'mickey mouse' degrees will be ignored, just consider who designs the products you are typing from before you post such comments.

Fire away :h:

How does it compare with what you did in school? Would you say it's an extension of the knowledge and skills from school, or is it quite different? :smile:
Hello.I am in my 2nd year of sixth form doing product design. For my coursework, unlike previous years where students were allowed to design pretty much anything reasonable, i have to have a context for my product. I didn't exactly know what they meant by this and i couldn't really find any useful information on some websites to explain this. If possible, would you be able to give me an example of a context on a certain product just so i get an idea?Furthermore, i am also stuck on ideas of what i should design. I could think of many things i would like to design however without fully understanding what context means/is , i do not know what i am limited to. Any ideas or information you could possibly give would be appreciated.Sorry if this question seems a bit dumb but i am just really stuck as I have never had to consider context before during projects.
I am working on a design GCSE.
I was thinking of designing a product to simplify food preparation.
I have seen inspiration and ideas such as an all in one nut and shell bowl! This is the type of thing in was thinking of!
Any ideas and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
Original post by Labrador99
How does it compare with what you did in school? Would you say it's an extension of the knowledge and skills from school, or is it quite different? :smile:

I chose my particular course as it was similar enough to school in the way that it was quite structured (a lot of courses seem quite wishy washy do what you want kind of) but it is better than school as we use more advance software and are able to choose to do BSC or BA, as i have chosen BA the second year content will be a lot more art focused which is what i wanted.

Original post by thomas6294
Hello.I am in my 2nd year of sixth form doing product design. For my coursework, unlike previous years where students were allowed to design pretty much anything reasonable, i have to have a context for my product. I didn't exactly know what they meant by this and i couldn't really find any useful information on some websites to explain this. If possible, would you be able to give me an example of a context on a certain product just so i get an idea?Furthermore, i am also stuck on ideas of what i should design. I could think of many things i would like to design however without fully understanding what context means/is , i do not know what i am limited to. Any ideas or information you could possibly give would be appreciated.Sorry if this question seems a bit dumb but i am just really stuck as I have never had to consider context before during projects.

Original post by alice_moody
I am working on a design GCSE.
I was thinking of designing a product to simplify food preparation.
I have seen inspiration and ideas such as an all in one nut and shell bowl! This is the type of thing in was thinking of!
Any ideas and opinions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks

Hi

This thread is about studying design at degree level, not for questions about DT homework.
If you have made a study help thread in the DT section about your questions then i will see it in there and answer it

Thanks
I chose my particular course as it was similar enough to school in the way that it was quite structured (a lot of courses seem quite wishy washy do what you want kind of) but it is better than school as we use more advance software and are able to choose to do BSC or BA, as i have chosen BA the second year content will be a lot more art focused which is what i wanted.

That makes sense in terms of how it's structured. Glad you are getting to do the option you wanted :yes: :smile:

Hi

This thread is about studying design at degree level, not for questions about DT homework.
If you have made a study help thread in the DT section about your questions then i will see it in there and answer it

Thanks

Think you should change the name of this thread then because it says "Ask a Current Design Student ANYTHING" If your not willing to answer anyone here on questions they have not related to the uni degree then change the name.
Original post by thomas6294
Think you should change the name of this thread then because it says "Ask a Current Design Student ANYTHING" If your not willing to answer anyone here on questions they have not related to the uni degree then change the name.
What Cavy is trying to say is that you'll get better responses by starting a thread in the DT forum. This thread is primarily for questions about university.:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
hi
i am doing gcse design and technology and need a product to help a disable person

Any ideas for a product?

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest