How will a criminal conviction affect my future

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, long story short I made a mistake and got put on house arrest, I won't go into detail of the crime but I got treated unfairly by the court considering it was my first offence. I'm 18 awaiting my A level results which I worked so hard on hoping to get into university for a sociology course. After the crime took place I got arrested and I thought being honest would cause me to get a caution but I should have lied. Anyways, how will this affect the rest of my life? The conviction should go off my record in 5 years? Is there any point going to university for sociology as I won't be able to have a career in that field. I'm confused about my options and fear my future is not bright.
hello_shawn
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Sorry but a criminal record stays with you forever, even after it's written off your records there are some employers who outright refuse to look at you. That's the way of life unfortunately. Never be a criminal, crimes are unforgivable.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Convictions never go off your record i'm afraid (nor cautions), after 2-5 years they may be 'spent' under the rehab of offenders act, so you don't have to declare them to most employers......unless they do a Disclosure/PVG Check which is everything relevant, more and more jobs carry these out now, social services for sure. It'll likely come down to what you were convicted of/how long ago of but doesn't look promising :/
KanyesVest
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
It depends what you did to whether it will be wiped off or not. A “minor” crime such as a driving conviction will be clear in 6 years and wouldn’t even show on an enhanced DBS. Anything more serious then you may have problems, some people will show leniency depending on the reasoning behind what you did.
MattisIsTheMan
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, long story short I made a mistake and got put on house arrest, I won't go into detail of the crime but I got treated unfairly by the court considering it was my first offence. I'm 18 awaiting my A level results which I worked so hard on hoping to get into university for a sociology course. After the crime took place I got arrested and I thought being honest would cause me to get a caution but I should have lied. Anyways, how will this affect the rest of my life? The conviction should go off my record in 5 years? Is there any point going to university for sociology as I won't be able to have a career in that field. I'm confused about my options and fear my future is not bright.
Large restaurant chains dont seem to mind. They take on immigrants, sometimes ex drug dealers...even some of the managers openly take coke.
Old Skool Freak
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

How much it will affect you will depend on what you've done and what career path you were hoping to follow.

For example, if you wanted to be have any kind of responsibility for young, vulnerable people (e.g. teachers, carers, Doctors /nurses etc.) they always pick up anything which you've ever done (including police cautions), However, most professional jobs these days you apply via CV rather than a conventional application form, so it's unlikely they'll find out if you don't tell them out-right (they can't just go to their local police station and ask them, and most jobs will tell you whether they require a standard or enhanced CRB check). If you stay out of trouble at Uni and make sure your qualifications are glowing, they won't have any reason to question you.

The other area it may affect you is travelling:- For instance, if you ever wanted to travel to America, having any criminal conviction will make trying to travel there much more difficult (if it's a drugs conviction they may permanently block you, as if you didn't declare an offence and they found you out). Australia, on the other hand, are only concerned with "serious" or repeat offences; and they define this as anything that means you've spent more than a year in prison (they also consider "house arrest" as a prison sentence in this scenario)
thiccc
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
The real question is, "How will my sociology degree affect my future?".
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
So there are a lot of details missing there that make a real difference. First of all, it matters if you were under 18 when you committed the crime. Then it matters what the crime was, employers are less understanding about crimes of violence, and theft. Then it matters the circumstances of the crime, some employers will be sympathetic to teenage stupidity gone wrong.

In actual fact, very few employers routinely ask about criminal convictions, mainly those dealing with children and vulnerable adults, so education and healthcare. Sociology isn't a strong degree to get you out of those sectors, so a gap year and a subject change to something more vocational and career oriented might be an idea.

Read the NACRO website very carefully and you should be able to work out when your record will be completely free, but remember there is no need to disclose unless asked and the majority of employers don't ask.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by KanyesVest)
It depends what you did to whether it will be wiped off or not. A “minor” crime such as a driving conviction will be clear in 6 years and wouldn’t even show on an enhanced DBS.
No such thing as cleared, DBS might filter it from results (and can change their mind), but it won't go anywhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (54)
65.06%
No (23)
27.71%
I didn't use it to prepare (6)
7.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed