The Student Room Group

Graduate entry medicine - paramedic science vs biomed

I'm interested in studying GEM but I don't know whether undergraduate paramedic science or biomed would be better?

Paramedic science would give me a less scientific background but better patient/clinical skills etc. But Biomedical science was be better for the scientific background.

Would I struggle with medicine after studying paramedic science due to the less scientific knowledge??

I've just done chemistry, biology and psychology a levels btw.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Medic_2019
I'm interested in studying GEM but I don't know whether undergraduate paramedic science or biomed would be better?

Paramedic science would give me a less scientific background but better patient/clinical skills etc. But Biomedical science was be better for the scientific background.

Would I struggle with medicine after studying paramedic science due to the less scientific knowledge??

I've just done chemistry, biology and psychology a levels btw.

Thanks in advance.

If your aim is to do medicine 100% then neither is better. It's entirely how you sell yourself which is extremely competitive. The best way is to apply for undergrad medicine. People get in with your a levels so scientific knowledge is irrelevant in your case.

If your aim is not 100% to get into medicine but it is something you are considering later then do the one you will enjoy more/would be more fulfilling.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I really want to do medicine but I'm thinking that by studying paramedic science then I have a career to fall back on given how competitive GEM is and how few and far between jobs in biomedical science are.Would biomed be better when it comes to admissions tests such as the GAMSAT, due to the scientific content?
I really want to do medicine but I'm thinking that by studying paramedic science then I have a career to fall back on given how competitive GEM is and how few and far between jobs in biomedical science are.Would biomed be better when it comes to admissions tests such as the GAMSAT, due to the scientific content?

Do you actually want to be a paramedic? Personally I would never recommend doing a vocational degree (paramedic science, nursing etc) if your sole intention is to apply to GEM. They are tough degrees, requiring far more commitment than standard degrees. And if your heart isn't in it you will struggle.

Also like @Volibear says, you will be more limited by paramedic science.

Also, pick something that you actually want to study for 3 years. Yes, as it stands you want to do medicine. That doesn't mean you will in 3 years (no comment on you, it just isn't uncommon to realise medicine might not be right after all) and it doesn't mean that GEM entry requirements will be the same. Focussing purely on what would be good for GEM is looking at it wrong. You have to get at least a 2:1 and get through 3 years, pick something you enjoy!
Reply 4
I feel like I'm more likely to get a 2:1 in paramedic science as I really like the practical/clinical side. I'm just so stuck! Also, I think I'd be happy with paramedic science since as a doctor I'd like to go into emergency medicine anyway and would eventually hope to look into the HEMS route. And how will paramedic science restrict me?
Reply 5

As another poster also said, it is not a good idea to be thinking in terms of something to fall back on. Do the one you will enjoy more. If you really want to be a doctor then you should do neither. The admissions tests are based on a level standard as that is what is required to do a medical course.
Paramedic Science is incredibly competitive to get into, with most courses having only 50 places at max, with sometimes near 800 applicants per course.

Don't waste someone else's place if you don't aim to use your Paramedic Science degree to be a paramedic.

Latest