Advice on A Level Maths and Physics Watch

username1976009
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Thinking of self studying A Level Maths and Phyiscs and taking the exam in June 2019, how achieveable is this if I have a full time job and no other commitments?
circleofsighs
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
maths is doable physics probably isn’t but it depends on how good you are at self teaching i guess
username1976009
Rep:
?
(Original post by circleofsighs)
maths is doable physics probably isn’t but it depends on how good you are at self teaching i guess
Thank you, I did look up both of them and Physics looks like suicide but I will do it if I have to. I do enjoy a challenge and love maths
circleofsighs
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BradleyAustin97)
Thank you, I did look up both of them and Physics looks like suicide but I will do it if I have to. I do enjoy a challenge and love maths
yeah a level physics is pretty hard! but i’ve heard they’re making it easier for the june 2019 exam papers than it has been previously because the grade boundaries have been super low
username1976009
Rep:
?
yeah a level physics is pretty hard! but i’ve heard they’re making it easier for the june 2019 exam papers than it has been previously because the grade boundaries have been super low
Really? Thank you for letting me know that 🙂 and also how many hours should I be studying each week?
circleofsighs
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really? Thank you for letting me know that 🙂 and also how many hours should I be studying each week?
i usually just study when we have tests, and make sure i understand all of the homework! so if you were self studying, probably about 20-25 hours?
username1976009
Rep:
?
i usually just study when we have tests, and make sure i understand all of the homework! so if you were self studying, probably about 20-25 hours?
That does sound about right from what I calculated so about 8+ hours of study per subject per week should be alright if I want to achieve a B or A grade? I am aiming to do one module a month at the very least so that should be adequete time right?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That does sound about right from what I calculated so about 8+ hours of study per subject per week should be alright if I want to achieve a B or A grade? I am aiming to do one module a month at the very least so that should be adequete time right?
How will you do the practical component of Physics? Make sure you do the new linear Maths A level; if you are in England you cannot take modular in 2019 unless it is a resit..
Ljg2015
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thinking of self studying A Level Maths and Phyiscs and taking the exam in June 2019, how achieveable is this if I have a full time job and no other commitments?
Since they've changed the way A levels are done then with the recommended textbooks and a bit of youtube tutorial watching you'll be able to do them fine. Maths (for edexcel anyway) they've changed so you have 3 papers I think but don't quote me on it :P Physics (I did OCR B) is also doable if you're self teaching BUT you won't get the practical experience which is required to pass. So I would say yes maths is a definite. Physics, you will be able to do the theory but not the experiment. Youtube is a great place for reference, some channels to look into are Looking Glass Universe, 3Blue1Brown, BlackPenRedPen, A Level Physics Online [I made the OCR B summary sheets on his website so I can assure you if you want to get a feel for how much info you'll be required to know, take a look at them], Bruce Yeany for some bits although it's mainly GCSE level, and various other ones which are easy to find if you just type a concept you're stuck on like 'Integration by Parts' or 'Functions' etc etc there'll be videos people will have made. Diligance is key, make sure you treat it like a job, sit down at a set time and have breaks at set times and stop at a set time. If you don't finish, fine, leave it until the next day. If you finish early, great, don't do anymore until the next day. If you start departing from that it takes over your life as I have found this year (I'm a first year physics student). Anymore questions just ask
username1976009
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
How will you do the practical component of Physics? Make sure you do the new linear Maths A level; if you are in England you cannot take modular in 2019 unless it is a resit..
Thank you for reminding me about the practical component, i will have to ensure I find a college that will allow me do do it which I think I have anyway and I am aware it's not always cheap.Really? I was going to do the linear one anyway since it does seem somewhat easier
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for reminding me about the practical component, i will have to ensure I find a college that will allow me do do it which I think I have anyway and I am aware it's not always cheap.Really? I was going to do the linear one anyway since it does seem somewhat easier
I would start Maths now as you need time to practise questions as well as learning the content. Edexcel has the most resources so I'd go for that spec.
FloralHybrid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s entirely achievable - Just depends on how effectively you use the time you have! I can’t comment on physics, but there’s a series of YouTube videos by Jack Brown on YouTube entitled for students to self teach as it covers every topic - That may be of great use to you!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username1976009
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ljg2015)
Since they've changed the way A levels are done then with the recommended textbooks and a bit of youtube tutorial watching you'll be able to do them fine. Maths (for edexcel anyway) they've changed so you have 3 papers I think but don't quote me on it :P Physics (I did OCR B) is also doable if you're self teaching BUT you won't get the practical experience which is required to pass. So I would say yes maths is a definite. Physics, you will be able to do the theory but not the experiment. Youtube is a great place for reference, some channels to look into are Looking Glass Universe, 3Blue1Brown, BlackPenRedPen, A Level Physics Online [I made the OCR B summary sheets on his website so I can assure you if you want to get a feel for how much info you'll be required to know, take a look at them], Bruce Yeany for some bits although it's mainly GCSE level, and various other ones which are easy to find if you just type a concept you're stuck on like 'Integration by Parts' or 'Functions' etc etc there'll be videos people will have made. Diligance is key, make sure you treat it like a job, sit down at a set time and have breaks at set times and stop at a set time. If you don't finish, fine, leave it until the next day. If you finish early, great, don't do anymore until the next day. If you start departing from that it takes over your life as I have found this year (I'm a first year physics student). Anymore questions just ask
Thank you so much for providing me with resources for physics 🙂 I needed them since I already have enough for maths. I have already made a suitable timetable which uses the pomodoro technique and allows for breaks and rewards. If there is anything I can help you with let me know, I can mainly help in areas of IT and computing related topics
Ljg2015
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much for providing me with resources for physics 🙂 I needed them since I already have enough for maths. I have already made a suitable timetable which uses the pomodoro technique and allows for breaks and rewards. If there is anything I can help you with let me know, I can mainly help in areas of IT and computing related topics
If you'd happen to know of any good python resources that'd be a great help
Atish_t
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
With a full-time job, I don't think it would be best
username1976009
Rep:
?
(Original post by Atish_t)
With a full-time job, I don't think it would be best
I do agree but it is so difficult to get part time work :/ last time I looked I got 4 job offers without even applying for them but they were all full time
username1976009
Rep:
?
I actually don't but I will have a look for you 😊
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good luck to you

I started working (well, an Apprenticeship) and said I’d love to self teach maths and physics, I started but slowly it’s dwindled as the Apprenticeship picked up pace. I would absolutely love to accomplish it, and I definitely will. Just waiting for the right time when I can balance all my commitments.

I must say, coming across this has made me more determined to get started again...and I’m sure we could always share ideas/resources as we go along, keep each other motivated?
username1976009
Rep:
?
(Original post by brainzistheword)
Good luck to you

I started working (well, an Apprenticeship) and said I’d love to self teach maths and physics, I started but slowly it’s dwindled as the Apprenticeship picked up pace. I would absolutely love to accomplish it, and I definitely will. Just waiting for the right time when I can balance all my commitments.

I must say, coming across this has made me more determined to get started again...and I’m sure we could always share ideas/resources as we go along, keep each other motivated?
Yeah that would be great 😊 I'm not just learning maths and physics for uni either. I want to learn for own personal knowledge because they interest me
username1976009
Rep:
?
CS Dojo has a good series on Python and Net Ninja is an okay one, I'll let you know when I find more
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (71)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (76)
15.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (94)
18.91%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (197)
39.64%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (26)
5.23%
No particular grades needed (33)
6.64%