Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it common for students to bring their laptops to lectures? In particular, I'd like to know about medical students

I automatically assumed I would need a laptop for uni, but now that I'm thinking about it, I may not. I've already decided that I'm going to be making notes by hand in lectures and that I'll probably bring in my desktop PC as well to do assignments and other tasks like gaming. So it seems that a laptop would serve no function?

Could others share their experiences and how they use their devices to make notes etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)
    Is it common for students to bring their laptops to lectures? In particular, I'd like to know about medical students

I automatically assumed I would need a laptop for uni, but now that I'm thinking about it, I may not. I've already decided that I'm going to be making notes by hand in lectures and that I'll probably bring in my desktop PC as well to do assignments and other tasks like gaming. So it seems that a laptop would serve no function?

Could others share their experiences and how they use their devices to make notes etc.
    I'm not a medical student but when I have lectures, I make notes by hand. The majority of other students do this too. Only a few bring in laptops.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A lot of students on my course tend to take laptops to class, but I prefer to bring my iPad mini instead. Nine times out of ten I'm usually only using it so I have a copy of the Powerpoint directly in front of me during lectures so that I can easily annotate it directly and go back and forth at will. Extensive or important notes I'll take by hand, although I do I have a small Bluetooth keyboard so I can type easily on my iPad I just find it easier to have all my notes on paper in a singular notebook.

I take my laptop into university rarely - usually if I know I'll have a long break and have a lab report or presentation due soon. So a handful of times per semester really.

ReputationRep:
    I find having a laptop at uni super convenient as a spare PC the library is so difficult to find because everyone is using them. I don’t really like doing work in my room because I always get distracted so going to the library or finding an empty seminar room with my laptop is so much better

ReputationRep:
    You’re not legally required to keep a laptop. It’s up to you though, it’ll come in handy with those last minute assignments or during busy exam season

ReputationRep:
    I used my IPad with a keyboard for lectures. Uni library we could borrow laptops to use in the library, saved me carrying mine from home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)

It's not necessary at all. There are a few who take notes on onenote etc as they like them all in one place electronically. But the vast majority take notes by hand if at all.

A desktop is good for assignments and there are desktops in the medical school/libraries as well, which have the added bonus of printing and copying functionality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)

Laptops do help it's possible you'll have lectures break lab break tutorial break etc for the whole day in the break you'll obviously wan to do a little work possibly on aPC there are computer labs at unis but in my experience they are often packed particually close to hand in a lap top will allow you to work in these breaks with out worrying about not getting a PC leave me a lop top would be a worth while investment.

ReputationRep:
    Definitly not necessary to bring a laptop to lectures, on my course its about half and half of who brings a laptop and who uses paper. I use paper because I prefer it, however I always take my laptop to seminars because it means I can have the seminar material open during the seminar without having to have printed stuff out beforehand which also costs money. It also depends on how much you like to use the library, if you never intend on working in the library you won't need a laptop, however, I used the library way more than I thought I would and its very useful being able to take all of your work with you to and from the library and wherever else you want to work.

ReputationRep:
    I did a masters degree in electrical engineering a few years ago in Washington, D.C. I never bothered to teach myself shorthand, because my mother used to be a legal secretary. I visited her at her office quite a number of times, and heard several other secretaries trying to 'recover' depositions that had been taken in shorthand. The alternate interpretations that were arrived at were amazing. They were all over the lot!! I decided to use technology, and used to tape all my lectures - running the tape continuously through the entire class. I took notes by hand - and made sure that i got everything that was put on the board [drawings & etc], and an occasional sentence or two - in order to 'synchronize' myself with the board drawings. I left LOTS of white space in my notes. The next day, i would play back the tapes, a few minutes at a time, and transcribe the lecture & student questions into my notebook. I used a loose leaf notebook - so that occasionally i could insert an extra page or two when needed. I noted that occasionally, i wouldn't understand another student's question, or the instructor's answer, but that upon re-playing the tape several times - the meaning would become clear. I never re-used my tapes - so that i later could review them. We had to pass a 'master's comprehensive' exam - which covered absolutely everything that had been covered in the 11 courses we had to take for the degree - so reviewing the tapes after completing the course(s) was valuable. Best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    You don't need a laptop for lectures - but people do bring them.

I've just finished the first year of my MSc and the cohort was pretty small, as there was only between 8 - 12 students in lectures. I would say about 50% of them had a laptop with them and they weren't using it to make notes. They were either on social media, online shopping or doing an assignment.

ReputationRep:
    Similarly, the people in my lectures who had them out in lectures usually seemed to have them to do other stuff on them if they weren't that interested in the lecture.
    Maybe the odd person followed the handout on their laptop. Most people didn't have laptops out in lectures though. But then we had paper handouts for everything, and would annotate them by hand in lectures.

Other departments/unis might work differently though. I think we had just one lecture course where we were to follow the notes on a laptop rather than given handouts (they were trying to move that course to paperless for the environment's sake) - but even then, we only need one laptop per group really, and that course was different to the others, as we had group work in the lectures.

More people had small laptops in their bag, to do work on them after lectures if needed or for group work. For group projects, having laptops was really useful, as then you could book a small seminar room to use and all bring your laptops, rather than be forced to meet in the computer room. For showing work to supervisors a laptop was helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by storm95)
    You’re not legally required to keep a laptop. It’s up to you though, it’ll come in handy with those last minute assignments or during busy exam season
    What a strange response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iras)

I personally use a laptop because my lecturers put the lecture material on Blackboard Learn the night before. With my laptop I can check how many slides are left and also write notes under the slides.

I personally type faster than I write, don't buy a MacBook if you don't want people to look at you, take my word.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.