Ask an A Level History/Classical Civilisation Student!

Watch
EstelOfTheEyrie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone! :wavey:

I'm an A level student who studied both History and Classical Civilisation if you have any questions about both/either subject then feel free to ask away!
CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
Hello everyone! :wavey:

I'm an A level student who studied both History and Classical Civilisation if you have any questions about both/either subject then feel free to ask away!
This is fantastic. Hope to see this thread gaining traction. Of course, I can help with History myself.
Victoria_D04
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Did you do classics as a GCSE too or just as an A-Level?
EstelOfTheEyrie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Victoria_D04)
Did you do classics as a GCSE too or just as an A-Level?
My high school didn't offer Classics as a GCSE, so I only did History
Victoria_D04
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie)
My high school didn't offer Classics as a GCSE, so I only did History
What exam board did you do?
EstelOfTheEyrie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Victoria_D04)
What exam board did you do?
OCR for both GCSE and A level History, but AQA Classics
AmberStudies
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How similar do you think it is to A-Level EngLit?
In terms of workload, teaching style, course etc

What was your favourite module from it?

How has it helped you in your uni applications? Do you see it as a 'soft' or 'hard' subject?

What have you gained from studying Class Civ? If you were to do A-Levels again, would you still do Class Civ?

Any tips for anyone who may be studying or considering studying Class Civ?
pHseven
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of essay writing and what is required for the exam, is the jump from GCSE to A-level a huge one? I've heard a lot about English Lit essays but not much about history essays.
EstelOfTheEyrie
Rep:
?
(Original post by pHseven)
In terms of essay writing and what is required for the exam, is the jump from GCSE to A-level a huge one? I've heard a lot about English Lit essays but not much about history essays.
I think in terms of quality, and the style of essay writing that examiners are looking for, sometimes the jump can be a bit large. For instance, A level essays: No uses of pronouns (e.g. I can see from the evidence that X) or use of the word bias are really looked kindly upon - if anything it makes the essay seem lower quality than it might be.

You get used to finding a ton of synonyms for "also" and "additionally" very quickly. They're handy for beginning linking paragraphs in an essay, or adding more supportive and counterarguments in.

Another big thing is that, while my GCSE had comprehension questions (like A level classics still does) e.g. Recall the date when X happens, there is none of that at A level. You can use dates and information like this to form arguments and increase comprehension of your essay, but there aren't 4/6 mark questions asking anything that simple. Sorry. (I know I miss them too)

There will also be different types of essay styles, and your teachers will give you guidance on what style to use for which mark questions. (For OCR specs, you might use the standard essay technique for 25 mark Unit 3 and 30 mark Unit 1 questions, but something greatly different for the Unit 3 30 mark question, and the two different styles for the Unit 2 papers.)
oliviayoung
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, im down to do both history and classical civilisation A-levels in September. I've done GCSE history and know i love it but ive never done anything like classics before and am not sure how i will feel about it. How did you feel starting classics in college and how would you sum up the subject to someone who knows very little about it? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (296)
55.95%
I don't have everything I need (233)
44.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed