Oxford vs Cambridge (Law degree) Watch

vickkyyx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi I heard that both universities don't do LLB but BA in law,and for oxford (where I planned to go) does BA Jurisprudence.My question is would that put me in disadvantage when I will work for a law firms?What is the difference between LLB and BA?will I later struggle in life because I don't have LLB but BA?and will I be able to normally take LPC/SQE or BPTC?.I heard that oxford said that their BA Jurisprudence is equivalent to LLB but is it worse than LLB,should I not risk it and apply elsewhere,to uni that does LLB?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by vickkyyx)
Hi I heard that both universities don't do LLB but BA in law,and for oxford (where I planned to go) does BA Jurisprudence.My question is would that put me in disadvantage when I will work for a law firms?What is the difference between LLB and BA?will I later struggle in life because I don't have LLB but BA?and will I be able to normally take LPC/SQE or BPTC?.I heard that oxford said that their BA Jurisprudence is equivalent to LLB but is it worse than LLB,should I not risk it and apply elsewhere,to uni that does LLB?
You are at a significant advantage if you do a law degree at either.

The fact it is a BA is neither here nor there, the bigger factor is it is Oxbridge.

The degrees are classed as qualifying law degrees by the SRA.

nulli tertius probably knows more detail as to why it is a BA rather than an LLB. theyve obviously been giving them out longer than anyone.

I bet it has always been a BA since time began and they continue to keep it as such because they can and dont have to comply with the riff raff.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
You are at a significant advantage if you do a law degree at either.

The fact it is a BA is neither here nor there, the bigger factor is it is Oxbridge.

The degrees are classed as qualifying law degrees by the SRA.

nulli tertius probably knows more detail as to why it is a BA rather than an LLB. theyve obviously been giving them out longer than anyone.

I bet it has always been a BA since time began and they continue to keep it as such because they can and dont have to comply with the riff raff.
The LLB was originally a higher degree in civil (ie Roman) and canon law. Canon law was dropped at the Reformation.

The first degree at a university was the bachelor of arts degree. Proper wexams were introduced at the beginning of the 19th century first in classics and maths and later in other subjects including law.

In the mid 9th century London university decided to award the higher batchelorships icluding the LLB as first degrees. Others folllowed suit until most universities were awarding LLBs as a first degree. However Durham and Kent's main law degrees were BAs into the 1980s.

Meanwhile and consequent on London's award of the LLB as a first degree London started to award LLMs as the junior higher degree. Gradually the higher batchelopships were replaced by masters degrees, with Cambridge renaming its LLB as LLM in 1982. Oxford alone remains with its BCL.

The rare degree, but the were some from the 1960s onwards was the BSc in law.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (284)
15.19%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
55.51%
Not feeling great about that exam... (404)
21.6%
It was TERRIBLE (144)
7.7%

Watched Threads