Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Budget
    £600

Subject being studied
    Maths and Music

Software that will be used
    Microsoft Office, Sibelius 7, Ableton Live/Logic Pro/ Pro Tools/Reason, Paint Tool Sai/Fire Alpaca

Screen size
    13.3 inches

Operating system preference
    Windows

Minimum amount of RAM
    8GB

Minimum battery life
    10 hours

Minimum storage requirement
    128GB SSD

Weight limit
    1.5kg

Used for playing games?
    Yes

If yes, what games?
    Minecraft, Pokemon Trading Card Game, Sims

Touchscreen needed?
    Yes

Are there any specific ports you need?
    USBC 3.0/3.1, HDMI, SD card slot

What devices do you have currently?
    Laptop - Dell Inspiron 14 7437, Phone - Samsung Galaxy S6

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas?

Some bits that would be nice to have but aren't mandatory - just to give you a bigger picture:
    1) i3 or above - 8th gen would be nice but I know it's hard to find them within my budget (I've seen a few with AMD Ryzer 5, any opinions on that processor in comparison to the intel core range?)
    2) close to an infinity display where screen goes close to the edges of the laptop
    3) Bluetooth 4.1 or 4.2 as opposed to 4.0 because right now my bluetooth headphones won't connect to my current laptop

Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You're effectively asking for an ultrabook here based on the screen size and weight, unless you buy something used there's almost no chance you're going to get something decent at that price point. You're almost certainly not going to get a HDMI port on a laptop like that as well. A small bezel display is also fairly premium. It effectively sounds like you want something along the lines of a Dell XPS 13, which meets almost all of your requirements but is a solid £400 above your budget when new.

Honestly you'll have to broaden your requirements a bit, or up your budget to get what you want. There are 15.6 inch devices that fit the spec requirement but won't meet screen size or weight. There are 14 inch devices that get fairly close but again, won't meet everything. But unless you buy something used, you're going to struggle to find anything that fits the criteria you're after. £600 just isn't enough for what you want.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 21, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.