The Student Room Group

Working full time whilst doing the LPC LLM full time online

I have been offered a full time job and due to start the LPC LLM full time in September but the online course. I have a really good work ethic but I wanted to know whether it would be impossible. What are peoples experiences of working whilst doing the LPC LLM?
I work from home, mostly evenings and weekends, so I can do both (I've cut work hours down though so it's not full time), but I'd have a serious rethink if it was a 9-5pm job. The last thing you'll want to do is get home and start studying, it's exhausting!
Reply 2
Original post by HappyBuddah
I work from home, mostly evenings and weekends, so I can do both (I've cut work hours down though so it's not full time), but I'd have a serious rethink if it was a 9-5pm job. The last thing you'll want to do is get home and start studying, it's exhausting!

Thank you, I am thinking of changing my course to part time but i really wanted the LPC done within a year.
Which university do you study with?
what is the workload actually like because I have heard so many different things.
Original post by RL1996
Thank you, I am thinking of changing my course to part time but i really wanted the LPC done within a year.
Which university do you study with?
what is the workload actually like because I have heard so many different things.

I don't start it until September, it's at Nottingham Law School. To be honest, if you're working in a Legal Field, you may not need to do the LPC anyway as it's being axed in a couple of years and replaced with a work/exam based competency assessment. I'm only doing it because it has the LLM attached. If I were you I'd save the cash! By the time you'd have finished it part time they SRA would have probably have axed it.
Reply 4
Original post by HappyBuddah
I don't start it until September, it's at Nottingham Law School. To be honest, if you're working in a Legal Field, you may not need to do the LPC anyway as it's being axed in a couple of years and replaced with a work/exam based competency assessment. I'm only doing it because it has the LLM attached. If I were you I'd save the cash! By the time you'd have finished it part time they SRA would have probably have axed it.

I've read there is a long period after the introduction of the new exams where the two systems will run alongside eachother. So those who have completed or doing the LPC in 2020 still have a few years to get a training contract and qualify before it becomes irrelevant.
Original post by RL1996
I've read there is a long period after the introduction of the new exams where the two systems will run alongside eachother. So those who have completed or doing the LPC in 2020 still have a few years to get a training contract and qualify before it becomes irrelevant.

There's more info on the SRA's web site. As far as I can tell, from 2020 students can do either. If you're already working in a firm, do you really want to spend 12-17k on the LPC when you can qualify without this in a few years time without it anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending