The Student Room Group

Do the majority of girls really not play video games much?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I go to an all girls school in London, and that’s definitely not true. Literally everybody there I know plays videogames. It’s likely either the specific group of people you’re friends with or your social class. Personally I find upper middle class people tend to play less videogames, might just be the people I know though.
I'm playing my girlfriend's games all the time though. In fact I got a couple of her consoles, in turn she uses my PC to play PC games now.
Original post by hello_shawn
Marketing. It's the reason why boys play games and girls go shopping

As far as I know commercials for wonen also exist in terms of video games. And I can remember that video game shops advertising girls too by now.
Original post by RedPlayer3
I'm a 15 year old girl and I play quite a lot of non-casual games on PC. I'm currently playing games like Team Fortress 2, The Division and Portal.

I go to an all-girls school and for some reason, very few of my friends play any games at all that aren't casual mobile games or The Sims - as far as I can tell, there's only one other person in my class who plays similar types of games to me. A lot of them only know anything about gaming based on their brothers' consoles and most of them have never even heard of Steam or any of the games I play. It can be a little frustrating trying to find people to do co-op with.

By contrast, lots of the guys I know play, watch and talk about games far more.

I know this is anecdotal evidence, but I've barely met any girls my age at all that are really into non-casual gaming. Is there a reason for this?

Hey, I know how you feel I'm a gamer and a recent PC gamer (I built my PC less than a month ago) we exist but we are very few and far between. I think . lot of girls get put off by gaming because it's so male dominated but there are plenty of us out there! I've been a gamer for a good few years now anyway and I don't really care at what others think of me for being a gamer. I'm on a computing course so all of my friends are guys and I play a lot of games with my Boyfriend too which is pretty sweet - he thinks it's awesome that I'm a gamer haha.

If you're interested drop me a PM with your steam name :biggrin:
I love Sims 4 and I'm a girl. Not many other games though, I get bored.
Original post by ozzyoscy
I'm playing my girlfriend's games all the time though. In fact I got a couple of her consoles, in turn she uses my PC to play PC games now.

So you and your girlfriend alternate with one another playing games? that looks like a good cooperation among gamers. :smile:
I'm a 15 year old girl and I play quite a lot of non-casual games on PC. I'm currently playing games like Team Fortress 2, The Division and Portal.

I go to an all-girls school and for some reason, very few of my friends play any games at all that aren't casual mobile games or The Sims - as far as I can tell, there's only one other person in my class who plays similar types of games to me. A lot of them only know anything about gaming based on their brothers' consoles and most of them have never even heard of Steam or any of the games I play. It can be a little frustrating trying to find people to do co-op with.

I know this is anecdotal evidence, but I've barely met any girls my age at all that are really into non-casual gaming. Is there a reason for this?

I'm 25 and I love a good gaming sesh sims, Jurassic world, over cooked, Lego, Zelda of course also love board games xxx
Reply 27
TF2, Portal and The Division are still casual lol
Original post by Kallisto
So you and your girlfriend alternate with one another playing games? that looks like a good cooperation among gamers. :smile:

Usually she is playing something and I'm playing something else in the same room. :biggrin:
Original post by ozzyoscy
Usually she is playing something and I'm playing something else in the same room. :biggrin:

Sounds like a wonderful gamer relationship :biggrin: :biggrin:. A relationship in which a couple likes to share games and play them with joy. In the past that was my imagination of a good relationship without a doubt. That had never worked at that time, as the girls I knew were so bad in playing. :sigh:

I don't know why this is. it seems..... I don't know. I guess it's about each individual. I play a few games like PC Building Sim, Euro Truck and a few mobile games but yeah, it seems weird.
Reply 31
Looking for a support/adc to carry me out of gold in LoL drop your IGN's please.
Reply 32
I don't know many girls in my personal life who play video games but I meet quite a bit of girls in MMORPGs and casual games. I guess it just depends on the genre your playing I think.
Original post by Lilligant22
There are actually quite some of us but I have heard that many women do not like to disclose their gender online in fear of harassment or whatever.

Yes, I agree with this. I would definitely consider myself a huge hecking nerd and gamer but I rarely play games online, partly because if I'm playing a team game with a mic, some 20 year old loner's probably going to send me a message threatening me with sexual violence.
[Also, love your pic of Garry.]
Original post by mercedesamber
Yes, I agree with this. I would definitely consider myself a huge hecking nerd and gamer but I rarely play games online, partly because if I'm playing a team game with a mic, some 20 year old loner's probably going to send me a message threatening me with sexual violence.
[Also, love your pic of Garry.]

Thanks! I didn't think anyone would recognize him in 2018 XD he was my original bae.
Thanks! I didn't think anyone would recognize him in 2018 XD he was my original bae.

I remember back in the old days, Cry playing Ib. I tried to play it myself but it's definitely too atmospheric for an RPG style game for me to play!
I used to game a lot, but life seems too busy for it now. My partner does still, and I don't know how he fits it in honestly.
Original post by mercedesamber
I remember back in the old days, Cry playing Ib. I tried to play it myself but it's definitely too atmospheric for an RPG style game for me to play!

Yeah, I really loved it. Although it was a horror game, I liked how it had a pretty good story to it and all the characters were great.

I've played that and The Witch's House, played a little of Mad Father but it was a bit too much lol.
Nah I play games on my phone when I feel like it
Yeah, I really loved it. Although it was a horror game, I liked how it had a pretty good story to it and all the characters were great.

I've played that and The Witch's House, played a little of Mad Father but it was a bit too much lol.

Oof, Mad Father was a very odd game. The animations were great and cute for the subject material) but I think I was put off by the main character, a shrieking young girl, running around with a chainsaw (if I'm recalling correctly).
The Witch's House was fantastic though! Have you played/seen Misao or The Crooked Man?

Quick Reply